Would you date someone who is bound to a wheelchair?

Quick question for the guys and gals out there. Would you date someone who was paralyzed from the waist down, and was stuck in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives

• Yes i would
  • No I wouldn't
Interesting. According to the poll, people are quite split on this issue!

Most Helpful Guy

• This is a tough call for me. I'm going to go ahead and say that I would. I'm serious I'm not just blowing smoke out my ass. My sister was burned on over 70% of her body and needed to get below the knee amputations and most of the guys who likes her before her accident didn't afterwards. After seeing that and how hurtful that was for her initially, I couldn't possibly reject someone for reasons like that. It's that simple really.

• Wow. That's bad. I hope things have improved for her.

• Thanks for MH.

• No problem :) you made a convincing argument

What Girls Said 56

• Honestly? No, I probably wouldn't. I know I probably sound like a bitch for saying that and I feel really bad about that :/ I'm just being honest and realistic. While I could definitely be attracted to someone in a wheelchair (if someone is attractive then they're attractive, regardless of if they have the ability to walk or not), I just can't see myself entering into a relationship with someone who has a disability like that.

That being said, if I was already in a relationship with someone and something happened to make them lose the use of their legs or something, I wouldn't leave them because of that. Mainly because by that point, I would have already developed feelings and love for that person so I would just learn how to deal with it and still be there for them. So, it's really not a simple thing, there are many grey areas to this topic for me.

• yeah i understand! i expect most girls will share this opinion

• Agreed to all of this.

• Good for you most women would flippant my do that I believe

• I don't wanna sound like a shallow person, but I think I wouldn't. It would just be too complicated and all that. But if I was already with a guy, and then something like an accident happened and he was now bound to a wheelchair, I wouldn't leave him just because of that.

• I actually have dated someone like this. I was very young, and the relationship ended when I graduated high school, but he was one of the kindest, most beautiful people I have ever known. I learned a lot fr him, and he passed away a little over a year ago.

I understand dating someone like this isn't for every body. It can get in the way of some things. But don't over look these people, they tend to teach you a lot more about compassion, love, understanding, and nuture than an able bodied person, because they tend to know more about these things. Going out and doing things may be more of a challenge, but the things they can do, and when they do get out, they do it with such zeal and life it's unforgettable. I remember a simple dinner date with my ex. He had MD and was pretty limited in movement, he couldn't eat much but loved flavor so much, and was so kind and charming we talked the chefs in to bringing us a little of everything just so he could experience it all. And to answer the popular question: yes... Most of them can have sex!! I'm so thankful to have known him, and will carry him in my heart forever.

• interesting story. im definitely open to dating someone in a wheelchair. Would be a nice experience i think. I never really thought about how much more compassion they would have in comparison to other people, but you painted a very intriguing picture

• That's a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing!

• Of course I would!

• No, I wouldn't.

This would alter my dating life completely.
    I'm used to a man taking charge in bed.
    I'd have to do all of the work.
    Also, I'd have to wheel this person around and pretty much care for him/her.
    Imagine if our relationship were to get serious.

That's a strenuous role for me I am unwilling to take.

However,
    My answer to this question would be "Yes" only if I were to date someone who I loved that had recently gotten in to an accident that left them paralyze.
    Then I would be more than willing to take on that responsibility because I love him.

• Isn't that a little naive? Just because they're in a wheelchair it doesn't make them a helpless child. Some can take care of themselves.

• Oh please soon as you get up on there, you'll forget about anything you just said ;)

• I used to volunteer in a rehabilitation center, and there were some really cute guys who were wheelchair bound. All the girls had a crush on this one guy in particular, but at the time, I think we were probably too young for him. A guy in a wheelchair is still a guy with thoughts, and feelings, and emotions, and love. Would their be difficulties, would you have to alter the way you do things, yes, but if the guy is worth it in the same way I would hope he would think I'm worth it, I'd do whatever it took for us to be happy. Now I've never been asked out by anyone in a wheelchair, and I only know one much older person in a wheelchair so I have no clue if I'll ever get the chance, but I wouldn't just say no. Sometimes you just have to open yourself up to the possibilities.

• My first reply was no, but when I thought about it I voted for yes. This is because no, it's not on my wish list to date someone who is in a wheelchair, and I don't know someone who is, so it's easy to say no. The same with men who already have a child, for instance. However, let's say I got to know someone who was in a wheelchair and we got along, even became friends or something like that. I could fall in love. I wouldn't fight my feelings because he was disabled. It would bring along more issues than with someone who isn't in a wheelchair, but I also once dated someone who had a baby because I fell madly in love with him and was even willing to be a stepmother. The thing is, when you really really like someone, things that aren't 'ideal' are still okay. I hope that makes sense. Never say never when it comes to love because you never know what might happen. :D

• Yes I would. The physical aspect of a relationship isn't as important to me as the emotional side. If he\she was a good person and loved me for me then hell yes. I can still kiss them and hold their hand and I could sit around and have the deep meaningful conversations and the goofy ones. It wouldn't change all that much about being in a relationship except for the sex life and maybe If they needed help doing certain things. But if you love someone you're supposed to help them and do those things for them

• No, I don't think I would be interested in that.
    Makes me feel kind of bad, but the reality of it is that to me, the physical/sexual aspect of a relationship is a pretty significant one. Dating someone who is paraplegic and wheelchair-bound would obviously greatly limit that. I'm also quite athletic, into biking and all sorts of different types of workouts that I would ideally love to be able to do together with whomever I'm dating.

• No, I wouldn't. I know I sound shallow but I just couldn't see myself entering into a relationship with someone who's wheelchair bound. Also, it's because I'm an outdoor person. I'm adventurous. It wouldn't work the way I'm living with my lifestyle right now. I love to go surfing, hiking, kayaking, horse riding, gymnastics, running/jogging and I love to go mountain climbing just to see the sunrise. I'm crazy like that. I would want to be able to share all these things with my partner.

However, if I was already in a relationship with the guy and an accident happened that he lost both legs or is paralyzed, I wouldn't leave him because of that. I'd try my very best to adjust my lifestyle and to cope with the current one. I know it will be hard for me, but I believe it will be even harder for him.

• I can see what you mean and what your saying but as a wheelchair user you would be surprised for example it was week I went kayaking and there are a lot of sports that have or are being adapted for wheelchair users

• I had this debate at work a couple months ago.

If I was with someone and they became disabled, I would stay with them. As for dating someone from the off... Probably not though. It can make dating very hard, it can put a lot of pressure on a secure couple, let alone a new couple.

I wouldn't write someone off. If I liked them enough I would try, but I wouldn't seek it out. Make sense?

• Why not, wheelchairs are cool.

• Yes, I would. I wouldn't reject someone just cause someone is in wheelchair? Life is unpredictable. What if I have an accident and couldn't be able to walk all my life? I would date him as long as he doesn't feel sorry for himself, want people to pitty him. If he's a good person, and if I really enjoy talking to him, then heck yeah, I would date him

• I swear I was thinking about this a couple weeks ago. If I really like/love this person and he's got a great personality and he's kinda cute then yes. The wheelchair can be over looked. Tbh it'd be something I'd have to adapt to sinceI'm never really around someone in a wheelchair. I know sometimes I wouldn't like dating a guy in a wheelchair because maybe you wish you guys could do something together that you could only do if you could walk. but there's fun things you can do while in a wheelchair

• It'd take me a little time to understand and decide whether I was okay with how that disability might change our lives, but I think that yeah, I'd date someone in a wheelchair.

• Date? Probably not. HOWEVER, and hear me out. If I was already in a relationship with a guy and he suddenly became wheelchair bound, I wouldn't dump him. I would stick with him. I see dating as more of getting to know someone and I feel like you and that person should have things in common too. Its the only time where you could be picky without being judged for it. I just wouldn't feel like I'd have much in common with a guy in a wheelchair. I'd feel bad, don't get me wrong, but there's plenty attractive wheelchair bound women out there and I'd be basically wasting my/his time. It's not fair to that person or myself.

• If I would fall in love with them, of course I would - although many things would be more complicated but I believe it would be just as worth it as being with someone who's not handicapped.

• I do not mind dating someone who has to be in a wheelchair all his life I'd be more than happy to help him out and give the love and affection.. <3 yes it will be damn hard but ain't gonna give any fucks!

• I've seen a gorgeous woman who was wheelchair-bound before. Honestly, it depends. I couldn't see myself dating someone with a physical disability. I have a mental disability so I see myself dating someone with a mental disability as well (that isn't retardation).

• I would not.. I know it sound selfish and superficial but I want someone who is active and healthy and can do everything that I can do. I'm sure I could find people physically attractive who are stuck in wheel chairs, but there are so many people out there to date that are not disabled.

• No, honestly I wouldn't. :( I feel like a terrible person just for saying it.

• That would probably be a little much for me. If he had a 24/7 caretaker so my
    Life wouldn't be so disrupted I would consider it. And does his dick work? If not then I can't do it at all. :/

• And keep in my the kind of people that are on gag. There's the lonely sad desperate people. Then there's the people who are crazy and controlling and want someone to depend on them. These people are gonna be the reasons you get yes answers. Lol

• I certainly would like to date someone but it is very hard, I'm sure I could find someone but have no idea how far it would go.. I'm looking for a long term relationship and I want it for companionship and intimacy. Just like anyone else but the added complications makes it difficult. I see what you mean with the categories by the way.

• Do you think you'd be more likely to move too fast or fall in love too fast because you've been without for as long as you have? @iamsloth

• Yes.

I would have voted no, but earlier today I saw for the first time such a good looking man in a wheel chair it had left me speechless and with the realization that anyone in any circumstance could have sex appeal.

Shouldn't stick to the ideals of what someone's appearence you would date should be, you will be missing out.

• Wait... Didn't you make that judgment based on appearance alone?

• Yes, but the appearance didn't match up with the past ideals of what features and characteristics I would be most attracted to.

• I sometimes have girls check me out, they usually seem kind of stunned a good looking guy like me is disabled..

• Totally. Went to school with a kid in a wheelchair and tried coming onto him but I guess he wasn't interested. Not really a big deal but girls will wonder about how you function

• I would stay with my partner if he got into an accident that paralyzed him after we got together, that's fucked up

• but would you date a guy who was already in a wheelchair when you first met him?

• If he had a heart of gold, yes. I just need him to appreciate me & treat me good because I'd be there doing a lot for him, I wouldn't tolerate any abusiveness handicapped or not. I would be there for him caring so I'd expect some respect is all.

• Yeah I would

• I really dont know, but i know for sure that if im dating someone who suddenly becomes like that, i wouldn't leave them :)

• Sure I would love to be in a relationship with a guy in a wheelchair.. It gives me an excuse to sit on his lap lol...

• I dont see why not :)

• I am in a wheelchair and I can walk I want to know would y'all females would date a guy that can. Walk and in a wheelchair that can do a lot of stuff and that's very independent and can take care of his self his kids women and can take charge in bed would you date him

• More from Girls
    26

What Guys Said 52

• No one is "Wheelchair-bound" we still have beds, toilets, and everything else.. In my house I have a ceiling lift system with tracks that connect me to my bed and the bathroom, my wheelchair is simply what I use to go out and do things. Just like right now I'm typing this on my tray that holds my laptop. Every disability is different and some people may be less fortunate and not have state of the art wheelchairs and lifts, but in my situation I have full feeling everywhere and a fully functional penis (Cause lets face it sex is huge in a healthy relationship) so in my case it's a bit of a hassle but requires a basic understanding of using a lift and some strength but nothing like some disabled people, so for me I am almost a normal guy. I believe I will have no problem having a good sex life and relationship. I understand why most girls don't want to but let me tell you.. I have pretty weak arms so I end up using my tongue a lot.. You see where I'm going with this? :P

• yeah i hear you. Based on the poll though, close to half the girls who answered wouldn't have a problem with it, so that's good news :)

• Sure. I don't see what the big deal is. After all a date isn't a lifetime commitment. I don't know if I could handle a long term relationship with a girl in a wheelchair as I have no experience with that sort of thing, but I would be willing to at least give it a chance.

• There was a social experiment done in Russia where guys in wheelchairs picked up girls. Only the last one said no. This video has English subtitles.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgfkkXmrEts

Personally I'd feel to uncomfortable and feel to sorry for the girl so I wouldn't be able to date her.

• Fucking love what they did to the last girl :D
      Absolute badass!

• My bad *too not to
      Personally I'd feel too uncomfortable and feel too sorry for the girl so I wouldn't be able to date her.
      @DaveyYourFavey I felt like it was too much, they could've just left. Everyone has a right to personal preference in a partner, she just wasn't into disabled people.

• She flat out rejected him and pointed at his wheelchair. Plus she seemed to have this really rude narcissistic attitude about her.

• Yes, walking or bound to a wheel chair make no difference to me and a disability is nowhere near a good enough reason for me to not be with someone.

Would it make things a bit more difficult yes, would I have to get a tad creative and unorthodox, sure but that's no problem for me. And you know life is hard enough for these people without them getting rejected for such a shallow reason.

• For those that don't know, I fell for a lady from GAG who is confined to a wheelchair. I didn't mean to. There is a reason why I never wanted to date anyone. I simply have a condition that is life threatening and I don't want to hurt anyone that I care for.

I really had no choice, my heart took over and anything my brain decided was securely deleted!

I have the utmost respect for this lady, and admire the way she deals with life. She has an incredible personality, which is more importanat to me than anything.

What the future holds, I have no idea. I won't give up on her, ever.

• For me it's a maybe, but I voted 'yes I would' for convenience sake.

A maybe because it wholly depends on how severe it is. I had a relationship with a girl who has a chronic weakness in her muscles. She got tired easily and couldn't walk for long periods of time, so at times we'd break out the wheelchair. I sort of liked it, it made me feel like her protector. But at the same time it was no huge obstacle because she wasn't bound to that wheelchair 24/7. I didn't have to carry her to bed or anything like that.

If a girl I met was wheelchair-bound all the time, that would definitely require additional compromises on my part of which I'm unsure I'd be willing to make.

For the handicapped it basically sucks that their handicap excludes a major part of the dating pool, simply because they are stuck with a condition they did not choose to have. I grew up with handicapped people, and even that was not enough for me to convincingly say that I'd have no problems with dating a challenged person.

• Yes I would. I'd love to help her out and brighten up her life. I'd just love to make sure that she still feels beautiful and loved. I literally don't give a shit about the complications. Love is love.

• Yes I would. They can't help the reason they are in the wheelchair. I am thankful for my health and try to see things from others perspective. We are all just a serious accident away from being in a position like that. I would have no problem dating someone in a wheelchair doesn't change who they are as a person.

• You are such a good person!

• yeah personally, i'd be open to it myself. Though it might still depend on a few things first

• I know I've seen some people that are wheelchair bound that are more active than the vast majority of able bodied people. But yeah man I'm glad it's not really an issue for you either

• It's tricky is this one really but it is something that has been on my mind lately actually.
    My girlfriend does a lot of horse riding and I've often wondered what would I do if something bad happened to her on one of them. But I think if like now I am in love with her, then I wouldn't love her any less if she was in a wheelchair. But I don't think I would purposely go for a girl in a wheelchair if I was single I guess

• I am really saddened and upset especially the female side on this because it feels like a lot of guys will give a disabled girl a chance but a lot of girls won't for a guy I know I may come across as horrible that's not my intent but it's really shallow to think like that and how the person in wheelchair feels being rejected all the time.

• I agree but I feel like a lot of girls can say no they wouldn't date a person in a wheelchair but let's be honest no one will know unless they are in that situation

• I definitely would if we had great chemistry and all that stuff

• I so would.

• i wouldn't be able to
    And if i were in a wheel chair i wouldn't expect it either

only would continue dating if i truly loved the woman before hand and even then it would take a lot of strength

part of finding a partner is finding one thats healthy

• As long as her reproductive organs still work, then yeah probably.

And it's not just because I still want to have sex. It's mainly because I want to become a father one day. And no girl is worth giving that dream up.

• I think it would be very disrespectful if someone turned them down, just imagine life is not guarantee nor what you have got right now, you can go out there travel by road and get some accident, so why would i turn down the fact is they are human who deserve everything we have, love respect etc

• It wouldn't in itself be a deal-breaker, but I doubt that I would be in the situation where I would meet such a girl and approach her.

• I might be more hesitant to start a relationship with someone in a wheelchair, but if I were already with them and they got in an accident, I'm not leaving them.

• There was that girl from Sonic X who I had a brief and peculiar crush on in my boyhood. (I hear her friends called her "Wheelz")

• I can hardly take care of myself how am I supposed to look after a wheel chair person there whole life and shower them?

• I could for a while but I would lose my mind and go broke as well they need a full time nurse

• I don't know if I could handle it.
    Look at Bonny on Family Guy... she has wanted to leave Joe, kill Joe, and kill herself because of his ailment.

• okay but uh.. family guy is fictional. lol..

• Yes, but satirical. She might be an extreme/darkly comedic example of what happens when you spend your life with a quadriplegic.
      I've been single forever, but I feel like I would be missing too much if I was with a girl who couldn't use her legs... it would be harder to do sooo many things.

• It depends, hahaha. I cannot give a general answer as being paralyzed is different depending on the medical situation.

• It's unlikely but I can't say it's impossible.

• I don't think the wheelchair makes that person any different... if you judge someone on something so trivial that's just you being superficial

• I would think that I wouldn't let someone's disability affect whether or not I would spend time with them. If I did, then I guess that would mean that I would leave her if she was in a car accident or lost her legs in the war.

• Yes I would over and over again, when you truly fall in love with someone nothing else matters.

• To be honest I'm in a relationship with a girl who's in a wheelchair and its a bit stressful let along the point that she has bipolar and depression right now I'm thinking that getting back with her is a big regret

• Yes, and I'd know better than to use words like 'bound' and 'stuck' when describing them.

• no. I want a romantic partner, not someone i'm going to have to take care of like that. someone else can handle that, i have enough stress already.

• Yes of course I would that won't stop me

• Relationships are hard enough. I couldn't do this, but some people can.

• More from Guys
    22