Guys, what do think of dating girls who have a masters degree? Assuming you have little or no college education?

Does it make any difference? Are you more or less likely to date her?

21

Most Helpful Guy

• Well there's a few things to consider.

From what I've noticed, people (both guys and girls) who have high end degrees can be very condescending to those who have no degree or a lower end degree. They'll talk to others as if they don't have anything going for them regardless of how happy they are. They make the mistake of grouping people who choose to work in other fields that don't involve the education system with those people who sit at home in their mom's basement playing video games with no job/part time job in their 30's+.

Plus it can also depend on what the major is. If the person's going for liberal arts, women's studies, and so on they're gonna likely have a high end degree flipping burgers for the rest of their life. Some fields are good while others are not. I know a guy who is over 30 who is taking psychology and that's a degree that is pretty much required to be taken to the top. By the time he's done finishing all the years required to get that degree you then have to factor in the insane debt he'll be paying off and that's if he lands a job after. There's a ton of people who get a master's with no job to pay it off and that's a huge issue nowadays and only a portion of those cases involve people being unmotivated when it comes to the search. He also talks down on people who don't go to college when he's in his 30's and only has a part time job.

There are definitely guys who will automatically be intimidated but not admit it, especially if the woman's a high earner. Their ego will justify it with "she's a snob" and such without getting to know her. Then you have others who have legitimately been condescended by others and labeled unmotivated and talked to as if they were in high school still regardless of how happy they are with their jobs and so on. You also have some who jump the gun and will not take the time to consider her because many guys have noticed that the average woman is typically hypergamous. So they're just assuming she's not gonna be interested by default.

What Guys Said 20

• Generally speaking, people with degrees don't treat people with out them with much respect. That coupled with the fact that women who are higher paid then there husband tend to have a higher divorce rate, both due to the woman wanting to be "taken care of" in that the man pay etc. and the man wanting to provide for the woman which he cannot do as well as she could all result in a very strained relationship with a high rate of failure. Biology dictates that the man be the providor, by the woman having the greater capacity to provide, whether the man will conciously admit it or not, she has essentially emasculated him by performing his role better then him. So while I personally would not have issue persay, it would be unlikely due to all of the other factors. Its also the reason that better educated/better earning women have a harder time finding relationships. Not that others won't give it a shot and there will always be exceptions to this rule but again, biology dictates our roles more then society.

• Much less likely. I'm not ashamed to admit that I feel intimated by a woman who has earned a really high degree. However, people with higher degrees a lot of times come across as condescending or superior to people with lower degrees. I don't want her to treat me like I'm less intelligent because, in my mind, will feel the same as being looked down on like she were my mother or something. Being looked down on or being mothered (not in a good way) is a huge turn off. I've had several girls that were amazing and could have been really fulfilling relationships because they were a year older than me and, from every experience I've had with woman even just a year older, is that they treat me like I'm a little brother and I'm not interested in the older sister younger brother type of romantic relationship. Huge turn off. However, it really can also depend on her major and could be better or worse, depending. If she's going into communications, graphic design, or music or something along those lines, I think I'd probably be okay with it. It's more like you're learning a skill and advancing your artistic abilities rather than absorbing large amounts of "knowledge" that you can dump on people who aren't as "educated" as you are. If she was getting a masters in biology, psychology, sociology, or something along those lines, then absolutely not. Immediate friendzone. Also, a lot of guys take it quite self-consciously. If a girl has a "better degree than I do", then people around you end up giving you a hard time saying things like, "Oh, she got a better degree than you?" or "Oh, looks like she just went farther than you did" and things like that in such a way that they are putting you down because your girlfriend did something you chose not to. There's a lot of pressure on guys to "do well" by society and if the woman seems to be doing "better", then it looks really bad for the guy. Also, a lot of guys take it personally. A lot of guys get their sense of identity from their work and their job and, if a woman's doing it better, it's an instant blow to his self-conscious and feeling of self-worth. Maybe that's because of society, again, but it's definitely there, regardless. The pressure for guys to get a better degree or whatever than his girl exists and can affect their decisions of a possible romantic partner. Now, granted, that's not all guys, but I know there are plenty like that. So, for me, I think it really comes down to what is it in, and how does she treat me

• Sex yes, date no way. I've dated girls with Masters degrees before and typically they are only interested in their career first and expect a man to 'fulfill their needs' while they don't reciprocate. Not saying all women are like that but I've dated more than a few and the ones with Postgraduate/Masters typically tend to be more interested in themselves.

• why not, means she is likely to get a very good job, which means she earns lots of money, its a win win all round

• I don't know because I do have college education. But he might feel inferior when around you because he sees you learning a lot while he may not be.

• I'd gladly date a woman with a master's. I have a bachelor's, so not "little or no college education."

• Yes it would make a difference, especially if she flaunts it. I'll admit that I'd feel intimidated for sure.

• Their degree means very little to me.

• I think nothing of it

• As long as she doesn't have a problem with me being less educated than her

• No It doesn't, the liking meter has nothing to do with this, but her personality, hobbies, lifestyle, beauty does!

• "o, she is *so* bringing that up whenever we argue about anything..."

• less likely... higher degree than yours means you look worse in comparison.

• I'd be impressed actually.

• I'd probably be a little nervous at first but I can usually keep up with more educated people. Ultimately though I wouldn't really care, if you're cool you're cool.

• Bonus.. I love clever girls. Wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to me...

• doesn't bother me as long as she doesn't throw it in my face

• For the most part, guys don't care about your education. Intelligence can be attractive but education not so much. The problem is girls value this kind of thing too highly and then project that onto guys and assume we're supposed to be impressed and attracted to you because of it. This is not the case. Just be laid back, be a joy to hang around, be supportive and comforting. That's it. If you try to drop your degrees and such into conversation to impress then you just sound annoying and condescending. Even if a guy is more educated than you, you're still acting all superior and have a stuck-up vibe to you. That's all unattractive.

In conclusion...

Having a master's degree:
    I don't care either way, I care about your intelligence not your education.

Trying to impress me with your degree:
    Fuck off.

• Me and most of my guy friends wouldn't care, but there are a lot of guys out there who have a bad impression of highly educated women. Many tend to look down their noses at guys who dont have the same level of education as them. Some guys dont think they would bother with a regular guy.

Just show them that you are not one of those snobs and you are really interested in the guy amd you'll be fine.

• a smart girl with a masters degree wouldn't choose to date a guy who has little/no education