Why does it mean when a guy tells you he doesn't want a girlfriend but he is not talking to anyone else but you?

He said he just got out of a bad relationship, and doesn't want to be tied down but then he also said he isn't going to talk to anyone else but me. I'm so confused because isn't that being tied down? He said he really likes me so I don't understand what's the problem.

Most Helpful Guy

• Eh, it probably means he's just looking to hook up with you. If he's being truthful about not talking to other girls, it might mean he wants to only hook up with you exclusively, which is still different from being "tied down" because he can get out of the arrangement pretty easily and doesn't have to do relationship stuff with you. On the other hand, he may just be saying that because he thinks it will make you easier to get in bed.

These days though, people rarely speak their mind directly, so who knows what he's really thinking. If you really want to find out, just ask him.

• I did ask him. It still doesn't make sense though. No it's not about anything physical. We already agreed that wouldn't be a good idea unless we are together. He said he thinks I'm really sweet, and he's really attracted to me. He told me I deserve better. He still wants to talk to me but he doesn't want a girlfriend. You're probably right though maybe it is just so he doesn't feel like he has a commitment to anything. I don't know though it just doesn't make sense.

• Yeah that would be pretty terrible. I like him so much though he's worth the risk. I just hope he won't take too long to make up his mind because I won't wait forever.

• Sounds like you know what you're doing :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Same thing's happening with me currently and based on advice from others majority of people think he needs to get his head straight after the break up and doesn't want to lose my friendship in the interim cause he eventually might want a romantic relationship with me.

• That might be it. He's a great guy I guess I'm just too impatient. I will have to wait, and see what comes of it. Hopefully it is like what you're saying though. Good luck with your situation. I know it can be frustrating.

• It's definitely frustrating, but I think he's doing the right thing to take time between relationships. I'm also awfully impatient, without telling him of course, in order to respect his space, but we need to be patient.

• That-guy you're right though it is a good sign when guys are open, and honest about what they want.

Yeah I don't say much either to respect his space. They know what we want so now we have to be patient, and wait for it.

What Guys Said 2

• He may have said it just to assure you that he's interested in you—but he's clearly not ready to start another relationship just yet.

Keep talking to him. He'll decide that he's ready soon enough.

• He actually said he only wants to talk to you or did you make that part up? I think he just wants to take it slow.

• Yes he actually said that.

• He may just want a little bit of female companionship right now, but doesn't want to get caught up in a deep relationship.

• Yeah that makes sense. I think you're right.

What Girls Said 2

• He's not in it for you. He's in it for something else. Drop him.

• It means he's playing around. Amen.

• Yeah you were right what a waist of my time. He has a girlfriend now, and he really tired to get me to cheat with him on her. He wasn't just talking to me. Clearly.