What are your experiences with online dating?

I'm certainly going to try it next year when I move. I know my sister met her husband online, and I have a friend who has a boyfriend that she met online.

Just wanting to learn more about other peoples' experiences with it. Did anything come out of it for you?

Most Helpful Guy

• The hot women don't reply. Unless they're one of the abundant catfish.

Also, it's TMI. I usually get turned off early on because I discover some turnoff thing the other person likes.

I arranged a hookup recently. It was pretty good, but since it was a sex-themed site, my approach was that it was mainly sex. My hookup seemed to get a little attached, which was probably partly my fault because of the way I act.

So for me it was a one-time thing, but she wanted to meet up again, and I rejected her, and now I feel weird and guilty.

• Yeah I've found that in hookups, one person usually gets attached and one does not. That's why I'm not into that sort of thing.

Most Helpful Girl

• My personal experiences have been pretty bad. Talked with many, met a few that mainly just wanted sex. If they claimed they wanted a relationship, and showed interest, it was nice and all -- until I found exclusivity wasn't to be had while they still continued to search for dates. I'm fine if that's what both people agree to do, but when someone point blank says, "You know, I only want you, I'm going to close my profile," -- but does not, and in fact continues fishing, that tells me right away that I'd potentially be with a liar.

This happened, after one week of a guy telling me this after going out a few times. I agreed we would close accounts, and I would be inactive until I saw he closed it, then I would deactivate mine. But no. Here's how it went:
    "You haven't closed your account."
    "Oh. Yeah, well I don't know how."
    "No problem, I'll show you." *gives step by step instruction*
    "Okay thanks, I'll close it."
    (Another week later, still not deactivated, and profile shows changes to pictures and other activity to show there has been contact, i. e. "Winks" "flirts" given/received.)

I know the Internet has done good things for people like your sister, but the Internet also creates a lot of ability to fly under the radar with the comments made, and rotten anonymous behaviour. I didn't trust it. I have friends who met their matches online, and I really don't know how they did it. I guess I'm too skeptical, always thinking it's too easy for people to be up to something, and in a lit of cases, they actually were.

• It took several months of online dating for my sister to meet someone decent too though.

• Sorry, it's here: www.meetup.com

• The one I plan to try is okcupid. My sister met her husband on match. com so if okcupid doesn't work for me, I'll try that one. I've created a profile just to look at some of the guys, and a lot of them seem like good catches so who knows. I'll be completely real so hopefully I will attract someone decent. lol

What Guys Said 4

• I met my current girlfriend on tinder of all places... it worked out really great, been dating for 7 months now, she is really normal and so am I, online dating is not just for weirdos any more!

• Well it makes sense. You can meet plenty of weirdos in person too.

• I think lots of people do that... you always put your best pics online!

the problem is there are tons of good looking guys on there basically begging girls for a date, so girls get these huge egos but then hate all the guys they go out with because they are super into themselves... It is just so easy to loose focus on realistic expectations when you could swipe hundreds of pictures in minutes...

• Yep.. and people use a lot of photo shop.
      I think I'm a little more limited though since I never want to have kids.

• I haven't had much luck, so I quit.

• I go, "Oh, she's pretty and has similar interests as me" and then we meet and she's insane.

• I met the girl I love from badoo, and she is perfect

What Girls Said 2

• None.:D I need to see people to have a real connection.

• I used a free site for about a week and it was terrible. I don't think I could ever go back. Be prepared for lots of sexual comments and guys 20 years older than you trying to contact you. But you should definitely make your own opinion on the sites and decide for yourself if its right for you. I do know people who had great success with online dating, but I think they tried the paid sites.