Is the word preference used to hide racism?

I think so

Most Helpful Girl

• People who can't seem to date within a race THEY prefer certainly think so; it justified a lack of success. " Hispanic people that I want to date do not want to date me. Therefore, they must be racist."

News flash to those who think this way, a girl or guy is NOT OBLIGATED to like you no matter how much you like them. And they aren't racist, shallow, mean or any other adjective that is thrown around, nor do they owe it to you to explain why, nor do they have to date you simply BECAUSE you feel like they have to give you a try based on race, like their preferences are put on hold to please you because somehow you deserve it.

They. Simply. Do. Not. Want. To. Date. You.

For the record, I have dated Indian, Middle Eastern men, black and Hispanic.

• I agreed this csn be the case for some but not all at all. I prefer aytractive Asians and white people to date and I think sometime people use preference to hide their racism.

Most Helpful Guy

• Racism is a word with an interesting history. Originally it just meant you thought humanity could be scientifically divided into races, as opposed to the contrary that race has no scientific meaning when applied to people. Racialism was the word for not only believing in race but thinking one race better than another. The distinction has been lost, perhaps because racialism has too many syllables or maybe because people don't accept the idea that you can believe in race and not regard one as better than another.

Now racism seems to have become a Humpty-Dumpty word which can mean whatever the speaker likes. You can't discuss anything when words don't mean the same things to the different people in the conversation.

What Girls Said 13

• Not being attracted or not wanting to date people from another race doesn't mean you hate all the people of that particular race. Does not wanting to date overweight people mean you hate everyone who's overweight, or not wanting to date tall people mean you hate everyone who's taller than you? No, it doesn't.

• In some cases it is.
    I think some people use the words "I have a preference" as a way of not coming to terms with their hatred for another race.
    Some of the people that have used that same line, I notice believe a lot of the negative stigmas about the race they refuse to date.
    They also have had bad experiences and a hatred for that race they are refusing to date.

• No. You're only racist if you discriminate against a race. There's nothing wrong in being more attracted to one.

• depends on how its used i suppose...
    my PREFERENCE in what i find attractive is black guys... but i am not racist against everyone else. not in the least.

• Hmm, it's tricky because most people genuinely have these preferences for certain races above others, and they can't help it, it's just what they're attracted to. But in saying that, having a race you find more attractive than another assumes that you believe them to be superior to other races, and that is a key signal of racial discrimination and prejudice. I'm sure most people with race preferences are not consciously being racist though, so it's unfair to conclude they're being deliberately racist.

• Not really. Some people just light different tones more. It's like with eye color. Some like lighter and some like them a darker.

• no.. not at all

• No.

But some people think so...

• In some cases it most definitely is. As for myself I have never used it that way.

• Sometimes. But not always.

• Sometimes.

• yes. everyone of a particular race does not look the same, so how could you say that you're not attracted to an entire group of people?

• because it's a "preference". It's not a definitive "i only like this", it's "i tend to like this more and are more likely to pick someon with this/these characteristics".
      They've found that they might find white skin more apealing than brown skin, or maybe black hair more apealing than blonde.

• But, every race has a range of different skin colors and hair colors, so again. Your preference for white skin doesn't mean that you only find white people attractive because Asians. Hispanics, Black people, etc. have people within the race with white skin. Your preference for black hair doesn't mean you're only attracted to Asians because, again, every race has people with black hair. If you can say that you're not attracted to an entire group of people, it's more likely based on your racism.

• why does everything have to be racist?

• I dunno. Ask the racially previledged.

• I never said white people get it handed to them and they don't put in the work. When both minority and a white person are qualified, white person has a better chance at being accepted by society of all races. I m not arguing with u. I m stating facts. I m taking sociology or cultural difference and can write so much but i dont Wana put in the work. Male previledge is also a myth since u don't seem to get it

• im not trying to argue either. I just always here about "white privilege" but no one is able to provide an actual example. I still haven't seen any facts. I work in a large office and with my job i get see some of the hiring paper work. From what i see minoriteis are hired at about 3 or 4 to 1 ratio. I dont see the qualifications but to me that appears there is a bias.

I completely agree male privelage is not real.

What Guys Said 13

• some cases it is, and in some cases "racism" is used to shut down people who just have a preference.

(this is an example, so plase don't be too goddamn politically correct)
    If i said i had a preference for white girls, i'd bet 10 bucks that SOMEONE SOMEWHERE on the net would pull the "racist" card on me and blame me for not considering colored people.

• Some people use it for that purpose, but most people don't. Just like you prefer blue eyes instead of brown, others prefer a white skin instead of darker. I don't understand why some say it's racist, it's just preference.
    It'll be racist if the reason is hate or superiority.

• No I don't think so - A person is allowed a preference - Some people prefer big boobs others prefer small boobs no discrimination

• Not usually.

For some people, certain races just do nothing for them. It's not racist at all, but I'm sure there's those who's preference comes from racist thinking.

• Haile Selassie in his famous "war" speach says "the color's of a mans skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes..."
    And I've always used that as a touch stone if you wouldn't say it about eye color you shouldn't say it about skin color. But it is fair to say I like women with blue eyes. So it's fair to say I like women with light skin. So no, not racist.

• No, I think the word "racism" is used to hide the fact that some people can't deal with the fact that people have the freedom of preference.

• I don't think so if you mean dating preference. I prefer to date white girls but that's because they're who I'm attracted to not because I'm racist and think white people are better than others races. I can't control who I'm attracted to. I have no racial preference when it comes to friends though

• It could be. Some people's preference might of been swayed by racism (whether or not it's internalised) so it's possible.

• no. to ignore butt hurt, yes.

• no, if you find one race more attractive over an other it isn't racist. Why would it be?

• Nope.
    Preference is preference.

Racism would be when a white father can not tell his daughter to only date white men, but a black father can say his daughter can only date blacks, or an Asian can only date Asians, or an Indian can only date Indians, etc.

Racism seems to be accepted unless it's by whites, then it's raised up a flag pole and turned into a witch hunt.

• I do think so as well

• I think so too. If you "prefer" something over another you think that something is better right? If I'd rather pick this flavor of ice cream that means I like that ice cream more. I think that flavor of ice cream is superior to the other. Yes it's racism.

• But I know the uninformed gagers don't see it that way.