I like a guy but my friend says he's weird. What should I do?

So I like a guy and for all I know he is a bit socially awkward. But he seems very sweet at least toward me and I think he likes me. He doesn't talk much and is almost always on his own.
My friend doesn't know I have a cruah on him and I told her about him flirting with me and she told me he was weird and that she didn't like him because he is so unsure of himself and acts so timid and that men should be confident. I don't know what to do, what if I am seeing everything through rose tinted glasses and she is right?

Most Helpful Guy

• In high school I was quite. People called me a lot of things. Weird, timid, lacking in confidence, a loner. When a kid hear's all of this often his life at school becomes just get through another day without pushing someone to say something rude about you. I left for college made lots of friends joined a fraternity and would've been voted president if I wasn't competing against my best friend and graduating. I'm going to med school now, I modeled, I acted, I raced cars, skydived, worked in a zoo, blah blah blah. And now when ever I see people from high school they're shocked to know that I'm me. The funny thing is absolutely nothing changed about me. What happened was in high school I realized I had a better life simply avoiding people then facing the mocking that would happen if I tried to show the real me. Maybe you should ignore what your friends say. He may not be weird at all. He may just be like me a kid that got a bad reputation he could never get rid of. (If it matters I spent my first semester at that high school sulking because I lost all contact with my friends from my old school. I moved in the middle of the year so I got labeled as the new kid. And since I really didn't want to be there I kinda kept to myself. So the new kid became the weird kid)

• We are not kids anymore. He is 26 and we are all engineering gradute students. I am not very experienced when it comes to dating that's why I am a bit scared to do anything...

• Sorry didn't read your age. Concept still applies though. If he doesn't feel comfortable being expressive and loud and is more standoffish it may not mean something's wrong it may just be that particular setting that he's awkward in. So your friends descriptions may not be entirely truthful. If you like him talk to him. Honestly doesn't matter what you say. He's a human being. He gets embarrassed he messes up and he gets scared just like you. But he's also 1 in 7 billion so don't put so much weight on this one interaction.

Most Helpful Girl

• No! Just because someone is introverted or/and shy does not make them weird. If he is a nice guy go for it and forget what your friend says. How do you know that she doesn't have a crush on him, herself and is trying to turn you off him. Not saying that is the case. Why should you care if your friend doesn't like him. You like him and that is all that matters. If he seems like a nice guy I do not see why you shouldn't hang out with him at least

What Guys Said 4

• Yeah but what if you're not

• Fuck your friends! Seriously u like him they don't matter and u don't know his story for why he is shy and dosn't want to be around people I'm the same I don't even talk to people cause of my life at home I was so scared of people and what they would do to me and a guy like him would be a lasting boyfriend he will make u happy and always love him take things slow and feel confertable around u but don't listen to your friends he's a good guy and he will treat u grate

• It shouldn't matter what your friend say. A lot of guys who confident can be jerks so if you are tired of jerks you should give the nice guy a chance and see for yourself instead of listening to your friend.

• I know that friends are good lenses to scope out the good and bad, yadda yadda yadda, but seriously if you like someone go for it, who gives a sh*t about what she thinks men 'should' be.

What Girls Said 6

• If you like him, you like him. Men don't have to be confident to be smart, kind, funny, or otherwise nice to date. When you like somebody, you'll always see them through rose tinted glasses--but it's way better in my opinion to like a guy and ignore that he's a little timid, than to like a more confident guy and ignore that he might be a bit of a jerk.

• It doesn't matter what your friend thinks. If you like him then tell him. There is nothing wrong about him being socially awkward. Your and your friend have different appeals when it comes to guys.

• I think that you should go with how you feel. You might be missing out on something great. Not everyone is confident and outgoing and it is okay not to be attracted to the same type of person as your friend.

• It doesn't matter what your friend thinks, at the end of the day you will be with him, not her. So go ahead be with the " weird" boy.

• Its your life not ur frnds... do what you like... love whom you want... better do something and regret than do nothing and regret :)

• Just go for it. Who cares what your friends say.