Would you marry/date someone who was terminal?

There are obviously several people who have married or dated someone long term who later on became terminal with disease, but that's not what I'm referring to because the bond has been set already and there are several other factors that go into that decision, but right off the bat, if you knew someone whom you were dating, maybe a few dates in, were terminal, would you continue to date or consider marriage to them? Why or why not?

Most Helpful Girl

• I... don't know. I want to say I would -that if I liked them and wanted to be with them, I wouldn't care how long it was for or what the costs were, but I don't know if I'm that strong or selfless. I don't know if I'd be able to handle the emotional -or possibly financial -burden. I guess it depends on a lot of things. How much did I hit it off with them? How long do they have? Why are they terminal? How did we meet?

• I think that's an honest answer. I mean, it would be a lot of think about. I asked the question b/c I asked it to my dad, and he was like flat out no. No extra thought, no thinking on it an minute, no maybe's. His reason behind it was that part of getting into a relationship is you hope that it will grow and blossom into something else over time, and if there is a very limited time or no time at all, he's like, hate to say it, but its a bit pointless. He said, what that person needs at that point is good solid friends and family to see them through their last days. Having heard his explanation I kind of agree, but I'm a never say never type of person so, the right swirl of circumstances, and I might say yes.

• Your dad makes a very good point, but I don't like giving solid block-out answers for major things -and at nineteen, I feel that I'm too young to say "I will always" or "I would never".

• That's precisely why I said, I'm a never say never type of person. He of course is happily married to my mom for almost 40 years now, so it probably won't ever be a thing he deals with and he would of course stick by my mom in good times and bad, but for those of us still dating, you just don't know. I mean, how can you, until perhaps you are asked the question in real life and staring someone in the eye.

What Guys Said 2

• Damn.

I think, If i was dating someone, And we found out they were Terminal, i would certainly not dump them over it, I'd stay with them till the end if the love was there. And, If she wanted to get Married before she passed, Then i'd be all for it.

BUT, I wouldn't date / Marry a girl who was already Terminal. It would just seem like a lot of emotional burden to take on that i couldnt handle. But, I would still be close friends with them.

• if i really really loved here and if she was happy by being wid me as long as she's still alive... then ok. but it's kinda confusin wot will i do, once i lost her...

What Girls Said 1