Girls, would u date a guy with depression?

Serious medication dependant depression. Could you date him? Most cases of severe depression take many many years to overcome completely if ever. If he is nice to you and is loving, has a job and can keep it.

Depression is likely caused from a combination of physical/mental childhood trauma and feelings of guilt

12

Most Helpful Girl

• It wouldn't put me off a guy; if you like someone, you like someone. However, as I have those tendencies myself (without ever having suffered from depression that was serious enough to be medicated - I just went the CBT route) I'd be somewhat concerned about how it might affect my own issues.

I reckon the girls who will be most put off by it, would be those with the same problems.

• never really thought of it like that, thanks for the input really :)

What Girls Said 11

• There's many other reasons behind depression, like being insecure and thinking you're ugly and self doubt, etc.
    But, if he's loving and kind and sweet and funny, i'd give it a go, i'd try to help that person in the best way I can. Its just that, depressed people aren't the funnest, most adventurous people to be around and can even put you down in the dumps at times.
    If it just doesn't work out, I think i'd find a man who is more confident and happy.

• I could.
    It happened before. Like He was feeling... In Pieces (I don't know how else to say it) And I kept on being his shoulder to cry on and slowly got a bit attached to him

• I have a tendency towards recurrent depression myself. Depression would not be a dealbreaker for me when it comes to dating someone. However, I would expect them to take responsibility for looking after their condition and to not use me as an emotional crutch (I frankly can't afford to be one!). In short, I don't know that I could provide the support that would be expected of a partner.

I agree with another commenter that those with similar problems would probably be the most concerned.

• Personally, I would. I don't think just because someone is depressed means that they can't be in a relationship. Before i became serious I'd want to make sure he wanted the relationship too. Overall, yes I would. Even if it took more work.

• I would most likely date him. I've dealt with depression before. I'm still suffering with depression at the moment, but I'm gaining control of it (and without medication thankfully). If he's not upfront with me that he has been depressed for along time but it isn't my fault, it'll probably be a slap in the face for me, but I'd try my best to fix it and help him.

• i would, i'd try to help as much as i could and try to help him forget his problems by having a nice time

• No. Medication contains the beast within. It doesn't dissolve the problem.

• yes. i would date a guy who has depression.
    as long as he's honest about himself to me and would tell me when things are getting bad so im able to be there for him :)

• probably not...

• Depends on the guy. I actually have a crush on someone who's depressed right now, that doesn't make me feel less attracted to him.

• yes unless he's turning into a psycho. whats the cause of depression?

• physical/mental childhood trauma mostly