Being yourself sometimes just isn't good enough when dating. Agree or disagree?

You know people always say 'just be yourself.' But for some people being yourself just isn't enough and that person may need to change something about themselves before they try dating.

Agree or disagree?

• I agree, sometimes being yourself just isn't enough to date anyone
  • I disagree, being yourself is always good enough
  • it depends (please say)

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you have to aim to be your best self. That doesn't mean trying to overhaul your entire personality, it means being aware of your strengths (and hopefully enhancing them) and at least admitting to your weaknesses (if not trying to improve them).

Like I want to show more passion for hiking and traveling and reading, because that's what I love! I develop my opinions to be better-informed and more reasonable. I strive to be more confident and selfless, because those are my weaknesses, but I won't force myself to be anything I'm not. I won't force myself to be falsely confident and repress my feelings as a result.

If that makes any sense.

• Thanks for MHO. :)

What Girls Said 8

• Be yourself, but also be someone you would date. Like if you're really messy by nature. Would you date someone really messy or would you expect them to clean up after themselves a bit knowing that there's another person now? So you do the same thing. But for your personality or whatever, I think it's important to be yourself.

Unless you can be Batman. You should always be Batman.

• I choose wolverine instead so I can unleash my adamantium rage when the moment calls for it. And cause he's just a badasss lol :P

• I think it is true when it comes to certain habits.

Usually you are aware of your bad habits.
    Change those.

Example, habit of saying "Shut up" a lot with a serious tone. Inside your head it may sound fun and alright but the other person may not see it that way.

Or interrupting someone when he/she is talking.
    Etc.

Other than that, I don't think so. :p

• I agree, because I've seen cases where people outright abused the 'just be yourself' card.

• What do they do to abuse it?

• Demanding others to just accept their insecurities instead of trying to work on not being insecure.
      Demanding others to just accept or at least ignore their eating disorders instead of getting help.
      Demanding others to just accept their spitefulness instead of trying to become a better person.
      Demanding others to just accept their rampant anger issues instead of getting help.
      Demanding others to just accept their disinterest in anything else except their one or two hobbies instead of trying to widen their horizons and see if they can actually have more than two hobbies.
      Demanding others to do things for them because they don't know how to do it instead of learning to do it themselves.

I get that people have flaws and nobody's perfect, but it's selfish and lazy to demand people to be okay with your flaws that can be helped. If they were honest, they wouldn't want someone either with the same problems they have.

• If being yourself isn't working for the person that you are trying to get with, then you're not a good match. Move on.

• Disagree. How is hiding your true self in the beginning going to help later on in the relationship? The truth's going to come out sometime. If they don't accept you for who you are you're not with the right person. If you want a long term relationship you shouldn't have to fake anything.

• Yeah I agree. You have to put some effort and you need to try.
    Nothing comes from sky if you do not do anything.

• Who else would you be?

• If being yourself isn't enough for the person you're with, you're with the wrong person.

What Guys Said 3

• If you are a nice guy not getting any, then who you are clearly isn't working. Its logical and quantifiable. You need to change. Simple. Its the easiest argument ever.

• Being yourself doesn't mean being lazy and not improving yourself.

• It's true.. so remember kids, don't be yourselves. Make yourselves better