Is it ok if I date an older guy?

I'm 16 years old and I like a guy who's 19, I know I should go for guys my age but all of the guys my age are immature and all they want is to fool around they don't want a proper relationship

Most Helpful Guy

• There are guys of all ages who try to fool around. Ask any girl who has been hit on by an old man. Age is irrelevant. Going older will just mean he'll know what to say to get you in bed and you won't find out until it's "too late" and he's gone.

Plus while the age difference can technically be "acceptable" it's at a time where it will be very inconvenient for you. He's gonna be just starting college while you're still in high school. So prepare for a potential "long distance" relationship if he has to go away to school.

Most Helpful Girl

• 16 and 19 isn't a big difference. When I was 16 I dated 18-19 year old guys but honestly it's because I'm more mature than most. I KNOW some guy in his 20's is sitting here reading this like, "Every fucking teenage girl says that" but then they change their minds once they actually get to know me.

Just make sure you find a guy in your age range. There's a fine line of 16x19 vs 16x27

What Guys Said 6

• Sure it's OK!! three years is nothing. Just don't do anything illegal and get your boyfriend into trouble! You are right about the majority of mid teen boys. They just want to get as far into your knickers as possible

• Yea it's okay

• Ya i get it i always date older too

• 19 year olds also just want to fool around.

• its ok, at least here in BRasil its totally legal and ok for our culture

• and guys always want to have fun. how they do it may change, but we will always "fool around".

• Daddy issuessss

What Girls Said 6

• It's fine to date an older man.
    However at your age you need to be careful. Not just because of legal age but also you are at totally different points in your life. He's looking at further education or jobs, getting drunk with friends, etc and you're still in education.

My boyfriend is 4 years older than me. We've both completed education and we are in full time employment looking to buy a house. Our goals, despite our age, are the same. And that's why I'm saying just be open to it.

• Yeah I get what you mean because my mum and dad have 9 year difference and my dad was ready to get married and have babies and my mum was just finishing uni

• Exactly. The age isn't that bad but it's just your ages you are.
      Nothing means it won't work. But it will mean if he goes to house parties and there are drunk girls, you need to be open minded. Likewise when you get to that age, he needs to be too. And that's much easier said that done.

• Your particular situation may be difficult as I doubt you two are in similar phases of your life. I'm not opposed to dating older men (as I do this myself) but it tends to help if you're around the same emotional maturity level.

• no, its not okay!! well it could be okay, but guys want sex!! and they might pressure you to do it, even though you don't want to... he can get in trouble because you are underage!! get it? think about what you dooooooo? I would recommend you to go out with guys in your age! but do as you wish...

• In the U. K the age of consent is 16 not 18 like in America.

• 3 years is no difference

• Actually it's more common for girls our age to go for guys older, since guys mature slower generally, the maturity level for us matches that of guys around two or three years older. My boyfriend is currently 18, it's perfectly normal.

• Don't worry, i'm 15 and i'm dating guy who's 19. I found it normal, don't care what others thinks👊