Girls, what does lets see each other but as friends mean?

I recently dated someone in my social circle that I have known some time. After 3 or 4 dates she said she would prefer to be friends because she is not over her last relationship. When I've done the lets be friends thing in the past its always been lets be friends and hang out with other people too, but the puzzling thing is she says she wants just the two of us to meet up as friends regularly. To be honest this seems a bit odd to me, and I would feel weird about seeing other people, when I am going on "not-dates" with someone. Any ideas what the motivaiton is here? I'm not sure if this really means lets be friends or I am just being dense (usually I take what people say at face value...)!

So in the end we carried on meeting up as friends, and now 6 weeks later she has told me she started seeing someone else 2 weeks ago (though she insisted nothing had happened and it might not even go anywhere, not sure why she told me that). So I guess the whole not ready for a relationship line was not really true. She was just waiting to see if someone better appeared :(

4

Most Helpful Girl

• I think she wants to keep the connection without the commitment. If I were you I'd just be honest and tell her what you put in your post.
    However it seems she likes your company, she likes alone time with you, she like the closeness/intimacy of being out with just one person but she doesn't want strings attached and she wants it labeled as "just friends" until she is ready.
    If what she says is true, about the whole ex thing, there's a possibility she has feelings for you, but she's not ready yet. She may want you to wait or be there when she's ready.
    Just an assumption though.

What Girls Said 3

• When I've done this.. I wasn't interested in him. I couldn't see myself with him. She doesn't want to let you down but it's not going to be what you were hoping for and I think she knows that, so she's trying to let you down easy. She might not actually want to be friends so guard your heart!

• It means friendship... and I doubt she even wants to hang out

• She just needs some more time usually