Boyfriend lied about where he was... should I confront him?

We are both 30, no kids, been dating just over a year. Generally things are good - the usual ups and downs but nothing out of the ordinary.

He had the day off because he's in trades so work's been slow lately. I was at work today so just called him this afternoon to say hi while I was taking a coffee break. We usually chat or text during the day so that's normal. He said he was chilling at his buddy's place so I said I'll call him back later. He said ok so we hung up and I went back to work.

He was using my work cellphone as it has unlimited data (while his is over-limit for this month). It connects to my work tablet etc and has GPS on as well as a number of different functions, e. g. anything received or sent on the cellphon is auto transferred to the tablet and vice versa. This was all programmed by work so it wasn't a case of me stalking him :)

The GPS showed that the cellphone that I just called him on was at his house. So in other words, he lied when he said he was at his buddy's house - he was actually at home when I called him. I don't understand the purpose of the lie; it would have made more sense if it was the reverse and he was actually at someone's house but claimed he was at home.

In any event, I'm not sure how to approach this or if it's even worth bringing up to him? He's never lied or cheated on me before as far as I'm aware... which makes this lie even more strange.

Most Helpful Guy

• This is not worth worrying about. He might have been in the middle of a really tough GTA V heist mission or something and needed an excuse that you would accept so he could get back to it.

Confronting him about this will just make him think you're a weirdo clingy stalker.

• That actually makes sense because he does play video games lol. But I've called before and when i ask what he's up to, he's never had a problem saying "not much babe, just playing some NBA2k" or something like that.

• He's trying to appeal to the female mind - a guy says he's trying to win a Black Ops game and the girlfriend will huff and puff and roll her eyes. But if he says he's socialising that's something she can relate to as being important and will be more understanding.

That's my theory anyway :p

What Guys Said 4

• If you don't think he's cheating then it could simply be that he told a little fib because really be just wants to be alone at home chilling.
    I actually said the same thing last week to my partner.
    I said I was at the beach with my auntie drinking a coffee when really I was lying on my bed watching a movie :)
    I wasn't meaning to be dishonest but I knew if I said I was home she would call me and I was in the middle of a movie :)

• I would explain the part that your employer installed the GPS on there, and you just happen to notice that the call came from his house. He should explain that.

• Sounds like a shit load of bitches fagging it up.

• Maybe the GPS fucks up?

What Girls Said 5

• Approach and broach the sensitive subject to him that you caught the 'GPS' deal on your cellphone and it just so happen to Show that he was... At his house.
    I don't believe it was a big deal but if you both have been together for 'Just over a year' and still counting here, dear, then open lines of calm convo will be no problem... Bring it up in a nonchalant way that doesn't upset the apple love cart.
    He may have been doing something that was personal to Him and he didn't want to have to explain it away. Or he could have been just laying around being this 'Lazy boy' and didn't want you to think ill of him while you were punching a clock that day and he wasn't.
    If he has never given you any proof in the sweet pudding that he has been untrustworthy, then with no real sure signs or mixed signals that have led up to the 'GPS,' then I would not begin a beguine of starting to wonder and wander just Yet... In a new direction.
    Food for thought: If he was hiding Anything, why use your work phone That... Tells ALL?
    Good luck. xx

• Some people fib to get out of a longer conversation where explaining might have to be done. I do it all the time because I don't like talking on the phone. Also, I hate having to explain something I don't feel is relevant. So if he's anything like me, it could be totally innocent. Or he lost his job and is afraid to say or cheating or something else bad.

• I would say yes just to put your mind to relax. I know you must be saying why did he lie? What was he doing at the house and so on and so on? But that is why you should talk to him about it. Now don't make it a big fight or anything. Talk to him calmly and ask a way.

• If he's that comfortable with lying about silly things than he will easily keep lying to protect himself about other things. Why didn't he say he was home? His friends house isn't at work either why lie. If can't tell you the truth about the little stuff then if he has a STD , will he lie about it? If he can't tell a simple truth, what happens if he has a bigger issue? Don't tell him about the GPS and see how many times he lies. After a couple of weeks you can tell if it was a one time lie or if he does it all the time. Then decide if you want to keep dating. And aways be wary of anyone who lies. People are only as good as their words if those word are lies, then he's not trustworthy. He's a lier. Why be afraid of confronting him? Is he violent to you? You shouldn't be worried to ask your boyfriend questions. Or like I stated before he doesn't know about the GPS so catch him in lies, or no lies. Best wishes.

• Hell yes, I would.

• I'm not sure exactly how to bring this up. Saying "i noticed on GPS that you were lying about where you were" sounds completely stalkerish and untrusting.

• It does.