Am I being crazy or am I being lied to?

I was asked out on a date by a guy at my work. Then right before our date, he tells me about a hour before that he can't make it because his mom died. Now, days later, he wants to try again. But I checked the obituary death records and his mom isn't listed at all. My friends say I was probably stood up and he's messing with my feelings by lying just to not see me. But when he asked for a retry, he seemed really sincere about what was going on. I'm not sure.

• You're overreacting, give him a chance.
  • He stood you up, facts are facts.
Also I forgot to mention, the reason i! m afraid he's lying (other than the records) is that apparently he's told people before that she has died a few different times. So I'm not sure if its just an excuse he uses.

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• There are soooo many more less tragic lies he could have told you, but he's throwing out the big one before you even go out on a date. Red flag. I feel like if the story were true, he wouldn't just be ready all of a sudden to start dating, he would probably need to take a moment or a dozen to grieve a bit before trying to go back out again. I think you're setting yourself up for a lot of heartache with this guy. If you do give him a chance, I would put your radar up on high alert.

What Guys Said 4

• That's a big lie to throw out, so if he is, then you need to run screaming. But until you have the facts, you shouldn't assume he's lying to you. Especially if he's asking for a second chance. If that one fails, then drop him.

• Well if his mum just died, you wouldn't want to date him anyway, trust me when my dad died I was a mess..
    If its a lie, what else would he lie about? You wouldn't want to date him either..
    But definitely give him a chance to explain first

• Just because of his ridiculous this sounds I would ask for proof. If he doesn't have any he is just playing you

• you are overreacting fam, give him a chance, you get me fam?

What Girls Said 2

• Obits are not proof
    Hearsay is smoke, so might be fire, still no solid proof to jail someone
    Think: Strike One
    Give him three and no more, OK?

• The fact that you checked shows you have trust issues. Try to work it out before immediately pushing someone away