Do people you date talk down on your education? Why do you think that is?

Whenever I sort of date/get to know a guy (usually the hipster starving artist type of guy) they sort of talk down on my education. For example, I love learning and education. As soon as I went to college and found my passion for psychology I knew I wanted to get my doctorate and be as successful as possible. I enjoy it, and that's what I want to do. But whenever I tell some guys that they say "well I don't think a fancy career is important" or something like that. And why? It's usually the guys who aren't seeking an education and I just don't get it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people feel insecure about their lack of higher education. They may worry that other people will judge them to be less intelligent, ignorant, or less ambitious. So, they may say things that undermine, dismiss, or even demonize higher education.

For men, there may be additional insecurity when a woman is more successful than them, since traditional gender roles dictate that men should be the breadwinner. You being more successful or educated may cause them to feel emasculated.

• Its a shame tha male/female gender roles still create some anxiety in relationships. It makes me feel that I need to find an educated man like myself, but I tend to drift towards artists and musicians. Thanks for your input!

What Guys Said 5

• If I had to guess I'd say it may be because they have no higher aspirations in life while you do. It can stem from a mix of jealousy and fear that you'll move to someone better than them in a short time.

• Don't date hipsters/hippies/artsy people. Where are they going to be in a decade or two? Still working at some indie coffee shop or body art parlour?

It doesn't sound like you'd be compatible with them.

• True.. for some reason they seem like they're intelligent, which is what I'm drawn to.. but in reality, it's just a facade and they don't really appreciate education. I think the reason I'm drawn to these guys is that if I have kids someday (if I even want kids), they could kind of be the ones taking care of the kids while I'm at work. I'm totally fine being the breadwinner if that's the case. Either way, I'll start looking for more successful guys now.

• They're hipsters... Hipsters only accepted Whitney Houston when she went underground (too dark?).

Here's a joke that will brighten your day. What did the homeless man get for Christmas? Very hungry.

• If you like educated men, you will surely meet a lot of them when you're in school, as an undergraduate or a graduate. Although there will always be jerks wherever you go, I'm certain you'll meet a man in your field who will appreciate your ambitions and your accomplishments.

• You don't need to date people who bring you down about anything in your life. You love learning and education. PERIOD. If the guy you date can't deal with that, then you're dating the wrong guy.

What Girls Said 2

• No. They wouldn't get to a first date if they did something to belittle me.

• I'm going for my doctorate too and in my experience it makes the guy I'm dating uncomfortable because it's a more "prestigious" line of work than he is in