When do you think is an appropriate age to let your kids start dating?

And once they've reached the age you deem appropriate, will there be restrictions? For example, where they can go together, where/when/how long they can be alone?

• Twelve or Below
  • 13-14
  • 15-16
  • 17-18
  • 18+
  • When they've moved out!
  • Results

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you should just let them date when they want to... I never really approved of imposing boundaries like that. They might just start going out behind your back if you're too strict... You want your kids to feel like they can come talk to you about anything... so if you make them feel like they can't talk to you about this kind of thing, they will start making bad choices on their own...

What Guys Said 9

• 13-14, but I'm not gonna be their personal driver haha
    I'm ok with my kids dating at that age, I started even younger (my parents didn't know though) and it didn't hurt me, it actually helped me.
    Dating doesn't mean I'll allow them to have sex at that age, they're too young.

• I think its best for a person to start casually dating (not serious) when they start high school. But I'd let my kid (s) start dating whenever they want to.

They wouldn't be allowed to have sex until 16 though, and if they wanted to have sex, i would make them use birth control and condoms.

• whenever they want. they┬┤ll be properly raised and know how to behave.

• Parents parents perants...

If they are stopping you from dating ask them when they started dating (prefferbly before the situation where they're stopping you)

• Nope, I've had to ask. Unsurprisingly, I have low tolerance for most of my classmates. I wouldn't date them if you paid me. But, when I asked to spend the night at a male friend's house to have a Potterthon, I was told no, simply because of him being a guy. So I guess they must at least somewhat be thinking about it, although I'm not sure to take that as they think I'm too young to date (even though it was far from a date), or that they think I'm around the age I'd start dating that they should start being worried. . .

• I'd say when they are mature enough to know and realize what an actual relationship entails and that it actually requires work and is not a game. That or I'd say around 16-17.

• I picked 15/16 - That seems reasonable

• Middle school. At least they'll learn from mistakes. And of course I'll teach them beforehand.

• After education.

What Girls Said 9

• I'd be cool with them dating about 13-14. Obviously, if they start dating before that, there's not much I can do about it, but I'd be more comfortable if they waited until this age. It's a little earlier than I started dating, but I don't think that it's a bad thing.

• Highschool is the appropriate age. I think younger than that is just stupid for kids to be dating. They can go out with friends or hang out at the house. I'll trust them to be alone together, but I hope and trust that my kid won't do something to break it.

• It really depends on their mental and emotional maturity, not so much a set age. Definitely not younger than high school age, though.

• I won't allow my children to date. They'll have to wait until marriage. I might let them in the most special case date at 22.
    *Evil laugh*

• I've had a boyfriend for months that my parents don't know about. I plan on telling them soon, but they're catholic and anti dating unless you're looking for a husband. Wtf

• 16 I guess yeah

• I'm not going to have kids but if I did it would be 16.

• In an ideal world? when they graduate college lol But reality is maybe around 16

• When they're 18 and older. I want my children to put their education first before they consider dating.

• They might just date in secret

• Lol I'll find out though. :P

• Ehhh you think you might, but most likely you won't haha I had four gfs before the end of HS and my parents never knew about any of them plus, I did better in school while in a relationship haha