Need dating advice: Is long distance so early on in the dating phase a bad thing?

I come back home from university for the summer (just 6 weeks) and started seeing this guy. Initially it was suppose to be casual but it doesn't seem like that anymore. We've gone on 5 offical dates, hung out twice, and talk almost everyday since I started seeing him. The way I look at it, if I stayed, i think we could have had a real relationship. But I'm going back to university in less than a week, which is a 6 hour drive away. Should I ask if he wants to keep in contact and make it long distance "dating"? I feel we are starting to really like and know each other and I don't want it to fizzle out. Our 5th date, we kind of got to know each other a little bit more personally and he kinda got teary eye when telling me about his childhood. I didn't ask for details but i could tell it wasn't the most ideal childhood.

I really don't know how to go about it. I want to ask to try long distance dating but I feel like I would come off as pushy/desperate for a serious relationship since we are still very early on in the dating stage. Any input?

What Guys Said 1

• might be difficult but worth a try. Chances are it will fail though unless you get some ground rules set before you go

What Girls Said 1

• If you want to try for something long distance, then talk with him about it. It doesn't matter if it might be too soon in the dating game. I know a couple who first met online, got married after 2 months of dating, and now they're 14 years into their marriage with 2 kids and still very much in love.

I think, if you want it, go for it. Wouldn't you rather know for sure instead of always wondering?