Leading me on or serious fear?

I've been friends with a guy for years because our parents are friends..
resently he has told me he likes me more than a friend after mounths of being flirty but then he tells me we can't date because it would be awkward for our parents friendship (personally I don't think they would care they make jokes about us dating a lot. I can't figure out if he really thinks they will have a problem with it or if he is just leading me on.

What Guys Said 1

• If a guy is into a girl, he will do whatever it takes to be with that girl. You know the story of Romeo and Juliet. Well their families hated each other to the point where they could have been killed loving each other, yet they still made the effort. Your families are on really good terms, so I don't really understand where he would come to the conclusion that dating you would be a bad thing. He's not feeling awkward for his family, it is possible he feels awkward to date you, just because it's you. He is being truthful in that he likes you, but if a guy isn't dating you, it's because he doesn't want to date you. I suspect that he wouldn't mind hooking up with you, but I cannot believe that excuse.

What Girls Said 1

• He is stringing you along.