Has anyone dated someone with depression before?

I've been talking to this guy for a couple of months now, and things are finally starting to work out. We both like each other, so we're going to go on a date (we both really haven't had the time to go on one together, so this is the first). We had a long talk a couple of days ago about how he wasn't sure if we was ready to be in a relationship, but he's sure now that he's ready.

Last night, he told me that he wasn't feeling "100% right" and that he was feeling depressed. This morning, he told me he wanted some space (also saying that it has nothing to do with me), so I told him to just text me whenever he feels like it.

I don't know anyone who has depression, nor have I dated someone who has it either. What should I take into consideration when dating someone with depression? Was it right to give him the space that he wants? I've been there for him when he needs me, so I don't like to be that overbearing person or anything. Thanks!

What Guys Said 1

• does he have depression or he was just feelin depessed? those 2 r different actually...

anyway if he doesn't feel 100% right as he says give him da space he needs better...

What Girls Said 1

• No, I can't say I have. And yes, you were right to give him space.