Would you continue dating someone that your parents hated?

Well... I don't know if they will like him or not. I haven't introduced him to my parents yet. I'm afraid that they will dislike him. We have almost been dating for 2 years in secret. What if my parents don't like him? Will I have to break up with them because they say so?

I'n really bad anxiety about this topic. What would you do if your parents hated your partner?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's for you to decide who you date, not your parents. You are thinking of your whole future, not just of a short term relationship. It's not a nice thing to contemplate, but you and your guy will still be together when they are long gone. Don't compromise your future happiness because your parents dislike someone. Dig your heels in and be adamant. This is YOUR guy. If they have an issue, it's their problem to deal with it. This isn't being disrespectful to your parents. You are exercising your right to chose your own destiny.

It actually swings the other way. They should be happy for you both. They should be pleased you have found someone to care about, and more importantly, someone who cares about you.

Take care, stay safe!!

• Thanks for the good advice. I'm not good at being adamant so I have to work on that though. lol. :)

• It's a matter of knowing what you want, and wanting it enough to really go for it!!

Most Helpful Girl

• i think it will depend about the reason WHY they would disapprove it...(example) like if you parents are against your relationship because the one you're dating have an unpleasant past or he is in drugs and stuffs then i think that your parents will win because they know what is appropriate for you... but on the other hand if its because of silly reason like origin , social background or skin color then its not a valid reason to breakup

• Good points. I'm just afraid they would like him because he's light skinned, and that he's a health nut and a bit bossy... I dunno. Guess I'm paranoid over nothing.

• Thank you ❤️

• you're welcomed <3

What Guys Said 4

• Parents have a very important role in our lives. But sometimes, they may overstep their boundaries. If their role as parents is to take care of you, show you the way and protect you from the dangers, yours is to determine when it's the time to listen to them and when it's the time to ignore them. It's called becoming an adult. If the only criteria they base their decision on is because of his color or because he is poor or something like that, then you can probably ignore them. If the guy is selling drugs or is violent, then I fear your parents maybe right to hate him. Don't forget they want what's best for you. Respect their opinion, but make your own decision. If you can't deal with the consequences of your decisions, then maybe you should listen to your parents because you are not ready to be on your own. Did that help?

• Yes. Who I date is my choice and not my parent's.

• No, my parents are going to be dead some day, am I going to worry about what they think then?

• My parents didn't ever like my girlfriends, thus I never presented them.
    The day I presented my wife to be they didn't like her, of course.

What Girls Said 17

• Yes, of course, my mother's opinion means nothing to me. But we're not close, so your situation may be different. It's still your life and your decisions though. Don't let them control your life.

• I'm very close to my mom and I like making her happy. You're right though, I should be making my own decisions when dating. Thank you. :)

• Maybe try and casually bring it up one day and ask what they would do if they potentially didn't like someone that you're dating and see what they say. I did this and the parent I was most worries about - my dad - told me that realistically he's not going to be too thrilled no matter who I'm with but he's not going to be a jerk or say anything to me unless he thinks the dude is dangerous.

Ever since then I haven't been nervous about bringing a date to meet my parents because I already know how they're going to act

• I guess it depends on the reason why they disapprove it... and it should be a proper reason, not something like... he doesn't look good with you or his origin... so they disapprove show them that you're responsible enough (to have a boyfriend if he's your first). In the end your parents only want what's good for you, but only you know what you want and need so... good luck!

• It depends what they hate him for... skin color? That shouldn't matter to them so yes I would.

His choice of lifestyle? That's a little different, I would probay be reluctant at first but eventually no I wouldn't continue dating that person.

• Well, maybe his personality and life style choices. He's a health nut, and sometimes he can be a little bossy, but I love him. I just think he would get along with them, that's all.

• It depends... a lot of the time my parents are right about the guy im dating but truth be told im the one dating him so if it ends bad im the one to blame...

• Definitely would. My mum's opinions on my partner doesn't matters to me, since we're not close at all and we always argue at almost everything. So our situation might be different.

• Talk to his parents.

If you don't have a whole lot of luck with your parents, why not have a conversation with his parents? To be honest, adults typically have a better time talking their problems out and who knows, maybe his parents will talk to yours and put them at ease about your relationship. You never know what can happen.

• You think I should go to his parents and tell them about mine? My parents are extremely protective of me. I've been sheltered for a long time.

• I would because If they hate him then they have their reasons, but i would like to see those reasons for myself.. they are mostly always right, but don't just stop because they hate him, figure things out yourself and then you won't feel the " what ifs"

• Nahh , dude is automatically out if my parents don't think we'd be good together. My parents are very understanding so they'll have specific reasons.

• Their opinions about who you love should not matter in the long run.
    Should you take into consideration WHY they don't like him? Yes. Parents are wise and will catch something bad about him before you will.

• If your parents don't like him because they have a bad feeling about him or see an epic character flaw in him then I say end it cause 9/10 times parents are right. If they don't like him simply because they are difficult people then ignore their opinion.

• I wouldn't continue a relationship with someone my parents disapproved of. I really trust my parents. Also my mom got married at 17. One person told her he wasn't good news. A year or so later she divorced him because he was constantly cheating on her. Apart from that he was also a drug addict and very violent. Parents and older people know more than we give them credit for. At least consider why they might dislike this guy.

• I'm the same way. I have a very close relationship with my mom so I would trust her with almost anything. If she gave valid reasons why they dislike him then I would probably listen.

• I wouldn't care, I depend on my own judgment with who I date, anybody else's opinions on MY boyfriend is irrelevent. If you like him, that is all that matters

• Sure I would
    But I'd teach my friend The Parents Ways before actually meeting them

• No my parents thoughts matter to me

• I didn't date the guy I like because my parents hare him :(
    I'm a coward :(

• It's happened to me - it's difficult because it creates arguments