Is it true that when you date an educated person more affluent person, you must be wealthy as well?

I am seeing a guy who is older than me and is an accountant/auditor for a hospital. Obviously, he has a degree and is an CPA. I, on the other hand, have some college and work for local gov. My friend who is in her 50's told me that the people I date are degreed and that I have to get a degree as well, because they would only want someone on their level so to speak. How valid is this? I consider myself relatively smart, but I don't have a college degree.

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on the genders here.

I think it would be highly unlikely a less educated and less wealthy man would date a wealthy, well-educated woman, HOWEVER, I know several less educated and less wealthy women dating wealthier and more educated men.

Women are judged on their looks. As long as a guy finds a girl physically attractive, he will date her. Plain and simple. Why do you think Hugh Hefner finds these young women who barely graduated from high school? Because he likes the way they look and he's wealthy enough to snatch up any young woman. I also know several doctors, lawyers, accountants, etc who date young women who are solely high school graduates.

On the other hand, men are expected to be the "providers" and are judged on their wealth and/or income. It's not even about education, as long as a guy is getting money somehow, this is how he is judged. People like to think obese people can't find a date but notice how a wealthy, obese man has NO problem getting a thin woman? Money really does talk.

I have a Bachelor's degree and I'm interning as a teacher this coming up school-year. I'm not going to be wealthy; I'll be the typical middle-class man, so I don't know how I will fall on this spectrum.

Regarding what your 50-something year old friend said, I don't think it's valid, because you're a woman. I already explained why.

Good luck! I would still see this guy if I were you.

What Guys Said 6

• Nonsense. If you are smart and can hold his attention then of course it doesn't matter if you have a degree. In addition not all 'smart' people with degrees want to have in depth conversations all the time. It maybe that he enjoys your company and what you have in common rather than having to talk about work or pretentious topics all the time. A degree doesn't make a person or a relationship.

• nah I don't think its always like that. anything can happen.

• That is BS.

• People tend to mingle with others in their own socio-economic bracket.

• That's a load of crap. I've seen people with Uni degrees who don't have enough common sense to start a gas lawn mower because they couldn't find the extension cord & switch to turn the damn thing on.

Then another brilliant college educated moron who worked for us one summer tried to cut down a 5in thick tree with hedge trimmers because he thought it was a chain saw.

Degrees don't always mean people are intelligent & if someone is trying to convince you otherwise, they are probably some dummy with a degree.

• Women have it easier, because they are judged solely on looks. Men are judged on their income, so it's unlikely he will date a wealthier woman. Men are put on too much pressure for how much money they make.

• Na, you can be their bit of rough! lol

What Girls Said 0