Would you break someones heart to be with someone else?

You have not had much luck in your love life, you have not found that perfect person who ticks all the boxes so you settle for the next best, you have been dating for a few months and have recently become a couple. After this time you meet someone else who ticks more boxes. Would you leave your current boyfriend/girlfriend to try and be with that new person ( who likes you), even though your currnet boyfriend/girlfriend really likes you and has done nothing wrong to warrant a break up? ( an example for leaving them for your prefered person would be that they are more physically attractive, have a better personality, better educated etc.

• Yes I would, I want what is best for myself
  • No I wouldn't because I already have someone who came along before them, and im committed
  • I would date her behind my current boyfriend/girlfriends back so if it does not work out I still have someone
  • other

Most Helpful Guy

• I find it sad how so many people (especially girls) go for "I want what is best for myself"
    When you are in a relationship, you don't choose what's best for you; you choose what's best for the other person. Once you start thinking about yourself when in a relationship, that's already the end of it. Love relationships are other/us-centered, not self-centered.
    Your current boyfriend doesn't tick all boxes? Tell him that and for sure he will make an effort to tick them FOR YOU (if he really loves you).. not for him. Tell him how he can love you more.

Just my take on it.

What Girls Said 18

• I went with "other." It varies a lot I guess. I have never left one guy to be with a different guy, but I think it depends on happiness. If my guy makes me happy then I would probably stay. If I don't see a future with him, or have a LOT of doubts, then I might leave and go for the guy who I have fewer doubts about--even though it is not my preference.

• i've done this before. was it a good idea? hell no.

i mean i dont regret leaving, but i do regret getting with someone else straight away. young n dumb.

• The problem is that for those of us who have had terrible luck with dating, it is pretty much inevitable that this is going to happen, naturally settling for someone because well, we can't find anyone else. I know for me, it's bound to happen, and there's nothing I can do to stop it, I am simply too destroyed on the inside from my complete lack of success in dating this far to forgo a possible relationship even if the girl I get with I don't think is right for me. This is a mistake I and others in my position are bound to make, however I think one way this can be remedied is perhaps if you feel like this, tell her relatively early after you figure this out, that you're only interested in a casual sort of thing. Or if it takes a while to figure this out then it isn't really even a mistake because you genuinely did think this person was good for you and in that case, you can just normally break up, regardless of whether you have someone on the side or not.

• What I think is the real mistake is misleading someone when you know they're not right for you. But once you figure out that they aren't right for you, if you relatively early reveal this to them and then if you want to maintain the physical aspect of the relationship, ask to downgrade to a casual sort of relationship (if they want to) or just end it altogether if you or them don't want to do that, I think that's a fine way of DEALING with the inevitable mistake that is to be made.

• i think i did it because i was so emotionally wrecked when i hurt the first person that i just didn't care about what i did with my emotions anymore. every time i think about it i feel literally so disgusting.

yeah that'a a good mindset to have. i mean it's best not to think of it as inevitable but letting her know where ur at is a good idea. i do find it hard to hurt people i care about though.

c yeah that's what i do. the minute i figure out that it isn't gonna work, i let go. my problem is that i do hold on for as long as i can. so even if there r moments where i know it won't work, ill try to push that aside because i want it to work. i've decided to be single for awhile so i can figure out exactly what kinda guy id like. i dont wannna break up again.

best of luck to u and thanks for ur time man=] @r3d_anonymous

• I'm not into breaking hearts or fucking with people's feelings. With that being said I choose "other".

• I would never stay with someone just because they haven't done something to "warrant" a break up... simply not feeling fulfilled in the relationship is enough of a reason for me not to want to be in it. Personally, I wouldn't have settled for the first guy in the first place - I'd rather be single than with someone I'm not really into. But assuming I did settle, for whatever reason, yes, I absolutely would leave that person when a better prospect came along...

• If you don't feel in love of your current girlfriend, you should leave. But if you only want to date the other girl because she's more attractive then don't because you know what you loose but don't know what you'll get.

• The grass is greener where you water it. Chances are that if you ended up dating the second string individual it means you felt they made you happy. Just because someone else appears to have the better package doesn't mean its so. I would not leave my boyfriend for another man simply because one appeared.

• I voted for b. But then relized that u don't deserve either. You are wasting your girlfriend time thinking she isn't good enough for u. If u truly loved her u wouldn't give two shits about anyone else. And if this other girl was so perfect she wouldn't even be looking at a guy with a girlfriend. Ever think u are unlucky in love cause of your avtions

• I'd stick with my present guy. He makes me happy and I know how hurt I would be if he dumped me. So I won't do that to him. I could risk losing everything and I'm not a gambler!

• I've wondered this too. My crush is with another girl but still likes me (yes I can tell). People tell me he didn't know I felt the same. Some things I will just never understand.

• Short of being loyal to a spouse, I'd say if you're genuinely more interested in someone who is not your current SO, sooner or later it's going to become apparent and you might as well get it over with.

• If its not working between two people and the other wants out, its best to quite before its too late. Dont stay in a relationship just because you feel bad for the person and want to make them happy.. make yourself happy too.

• Depends on how emotionally involved I am in my boyfriend compared to the other guy. Also on the state of our relationship but I would have never settled in the first place.

• I believe in being faithful to partner
    won't even flirt if i am attached

• Never settle for 2nd best break up with her it will be hard but it is for the best your current girlfriend deserves to find someone who thinks she is #1 if you have doubts about her break it off

• Dam it, how did I even get to know the other person while I have a boyfriend?

I wouldn't let that happen, so I would stay with my current boyfriend.

• I am not an indecisive person , so if i am in a committed relationship then they are all i want and need. I can't even imagine being with someone else.

If he loved me , provided emotional security and was my best friend as well as lover... then no other guy could steal my heart from him.

• If you don't like her that much, if you have settled then you should stop being selfish and end things whether there is another girl or not.

• You need to break up with your current girlfriend. If you don't, you're not going to be faithful to her. You're going to cheat on her & lie about it, but you will slip up & get caught. It happens every time.

You're going to put your current girlfriend through unnecessary drama & heartache when all you have to do is be honest with her & tell her you are no longer interested in being with her.

But you won't do this. Most never do, because they're scared of what if this new chick isn't better. So selfishly you're going to try stringing them both along with lies & manipulation. Eventually, you will get caught, cheaters always do.

What Guys Said 8

• You should never settle for someone just because you haven't found someone who doesn't "tick all the boxes". It's okay to go on a few dates with them because you still might find things about them that interest you, but getting into a committed relationship with them? Only if you really do like them and want to be with them.

• If you don't pursue the new interest, will you always feel as if you settled for "second best?" Will you regret that you didn't pursue Mr. or Miss Right?

• I did it. I left someone for someone I perceived to be better. We ended up getting engaged but she ended up breaking it off & now I'm alone & screwed up & depressed.

I never thought I would leave someone for someone else. I never intended to hurt her, but I did & I left her for another girl who I fell so in love with. I still do love her.

Be careful what you wish for

• It all depends on if i am happy with her!

I would never dump a girl for another just because the other girl is more attractive...

If my current girlfriend makes me happy and i am satisfied with her then i won't leave her!!! never!

The grass is not always greener on the other side...
    I mean there is always gonna be someone better than your current partner... no one is perfect... Everyone is unique in there own way...

So NO I WON'T LEAVE!

• It depends on whether my basic criteria are met. If our relationship is dysfunctional, then there is no amount of commitment that makes it worth keeping on one that is objectively better.

• No I wouldn't.-

• No I wouldn't because I already have someone who came along before them, and im committed.

• yea maybe it depends