How do you feel about Dating a Person who is smart, but unfortunately illiterate?

• it doesn't bother me at all, as long everything else is fine and I like them
  • it would annoy me a little, but i'd date them
  • thats a deal breaker, because even if it's the only thing, it's still a big issue

Most Helpful Guy

• It wouldn't bother me, it doesn't matter.

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't look down on that person.

I would just wish they tried to learn that skill.

What Guys Said 3

• I think you need to define what you mean by illiterate, and the reason for their illiteracy. If you mean for example the person is dyslexic (which is not illiterate, before someone corrects me!), then that's completely fine - not being able to read or write quickly or with accuracy (or indeed at all) is a non-issue in a relationship if there's a good 'medical' or similar reason for it. If on the other hand the person just didn't bother learning to read and write, well, that's a kind of person to whom I'd find it impossible to relate! Not being able to participate in the written word by choice or laziness is beyond my comprehension.

• I don't even understand how that could be possible?

• are there illiterate people today... ?

• You'd be surprised.
      I met a woman late 30s-40 and she telling me about a job she wanted.
      She asked if they give testing for that job because she can't read or write.

What Girls Said 4

• If I loved him I guess I'd help him learn to read. I'm not sure smart and illiterate can go hand in hand though.

• Most of the guys I like are intelligent but not perfectly educated, I'd take that over an educated moron any day

• I would have a very difficult time relating to them. Deal breaker for me.

• deal breaker for sure.