Does rejecting a woman for this make me immature?

I was called immature, narrow minded, and petty for this. I won't date a woman who is a fan of a sports team I hate. I went on two dates in the last month. They had on a Seahawks jersey and the other had on a Dodgers jersey. Seeing these two girls in the jerseys, I told them it wouldn't work because I hate your team. They told me I'd be single for a long time because I don't give people a chance. I told them you're right I don't, and walked out. I'm emphatic about this standard. Does this make immature and petty?

Most Helpful Guy

• That's loyalty right there.

As a sports fan, I respect it.

I may reject a girl for that reason. Not necessarily because I hate the team, but just knowing how girls are with sports.

Like I'd get annoyed by a chick who was a Cavs or Seahawks fan.

• Why does everyone hate the Seahwaks lol?

• I couldn't say about the Seahawks, but where I live we're Packers fans, & we hate the Bears, Vikings, & Cowboys.

• @MeghanL Must've been tough living after they blew that game...

But why hate the Cowboys lol? Just because it's the Cowboys? Or is there some history behind it?

What Girls Said 25

• Lol tbh I think that's somewhat immature but it's kinda reasonable if you're like one of those people who literally live for that sports - anyways it's a massive limitation in terms of your dating life to yeah it will automatically become harder but I think it's better than changing this standard and ending up with someone you would constantly have arguments with because of the sports.

• Yes, that's a very immature, foolish, idiotic reason to reject a woman. She could be the most amazing woman you will ever meet and the greatest life partner you could find but you're willing to let her go because you guys don't like the same sports team? -_- VERY petty.

• Pretty much. That's my number standard. It's dating the enemy.

• Lol, not a wise idea to make your search for a damn good woman even harder over something so petty

• Well, it's my choice. Plenty of women out here. I call it the weeding out process.

• Yes, yes it does.

Rabid sports fans are usually meatheads, so it's not like they missed out on anything worth while.

Actually, rabid ANYTHING fans suck.

• That's a really dumb reason not to go out with someone, in my opinion. But I don't care for sports at all.

• I think it's petty. My friend is a Blackhawks fan and she's dating a Red Wings fan and they just get really competitive and it's fun. I'm lucky though, I got a Blackhawks fan :)

• Ugh the Red Wings. Another woman who likes them I need to avoid.

• I don't like them! I'm all about the Hawks!

• That's pretty lame, TBH... it can be kind of fun to date someone who is a fan of your team's rival... you can bet against one another and engage in friendly ribbing and trash talk before and during games, etc.

• Definitely petty. There is more to life - a LOT more - than a sports team.

So yes, I hope you enjoy being single, because you can look forward to many years of it if you're going to be that way towards women.

• Kind of lol... I mean, I've been on dates with people who hated my sports team and they were able to look past it.

• Omg am sorry that was a jerk move. So you hate these girls because they oppose something you like? Thats what makes relationships fascinating sometimes. I am sure you heard of "opposites attract" well h*ll yeah. People are free to speak their mind and are allowed to disagree. Thats something that you cannot change. However, a relationship shouldn't be based on whether or not the person would vote for your team or not. Its about how the person makes you feel... their personalities , etc, and there must be compromise in a relationship for it to work out. It cannot be about "You, You, You" all the time.

I wouldn't say you were immature but yes to narrow mindedness and a bit inconsiderate. So I hope you learn to be more open minded and selfless in your future relationships.

• Of course you're petty. Did you ever consider that you might be dismissing some great girls just because they like a sports team you don't? I'm curious, how would react to a girl who just didn't like sports period?

• Honestly, yeah it does, because their team preferences has nothing to do with their them as a person. That's like not giving a person a chance cause they didn't like the same food as you or the same TV show.

• This is why I'm glad I hate sports and so does my boyfriend...
    If he hated video games I like I'd be slightly annoyed though. But we both love Zelda and life is peaceful haha

• Where I live, certain teams are associated with gangs, political affiliation, codes of conduct, including violence and disruptive civic behavior. Sounds weird but that's one way gangs are established out here. So a person should be careful whose jerseys they wear and where they reside.

• I'd have a really difficult time dating a Michigan fan.

• My sister is the same when it comes to Australian football. She has been following a team for over 25 years. She aren't going to change for no man. He has to get on board, or jump ship.

• Yes it does make you petty. You're refusing to date someone because they aren't a fan of your sports team. Its bullshit and you aren't even giving them a chance. You aren't getting to know them and you're judging them on their tastes in sports teams -_-

• Yes. Pretty much.

• Maybe, but unless it's really keeping you from being able to date, I don't see why you have to change.

• You just don't want to be with anybody so you look for an excuse not to be with people

• Those girls are right on track in the real world

• Yes. A million times yes. But you are sparing them really, Go CARDS!

• You pulled a jerry Seinfeld move

• Uh what?

• Ever heard the show called Seinfeld? Well anyways Jerry broke up with a bunch of girls over things like
      1. For having “man hands.”
      2. For eating peas one pea at a time.
      3. For wearing the same dress every day. (Actually, she dumped him after she found him snooping in her closet.)
      4. For being a low talker.
      5. For liking a dockers commercial
      6. Shhing him during a tv show
      7. For being naked all the time, which was good at first — until she started doing unattractive things like coughing or opening pickle jars.
      8. For not giving him a massage.
      9. For being two-faced — she was attractive one day, not attractive the next.
      10. For not tasting his pie.
      11. Because George saw her naked.
      12. For believing she got gonorrhea from sitting on a tractor in a bathing suit.
      13. For being too much like Jerry.
      14. For kissing him in front of the Soup Nazi.
      15. For having fake breasts — except they weren’t.
      16. For not thinking his stand up act was funny.

Mind you these are all different girls.

• Well the reason is a bit judgmental. You can have a bit of banter who has the best sport team! But rejecting them because you are in a strop about their taste sports? Why aren't you happy that they are into sport like yourself?

I think you need to change.

Sorry to be blunt and if you don't like the answer then fine but you need to not put that on your Deal Breaker list there are plenty other things a girl could do and not do that would be rejectable but a sports team?

• I can only date a woman who likes the same sports teams as me. I feel we'd get along better. If that means I will be single for a long time so be it.

• That's immature and pretty ridiculous.

• yes it does.

What Guys Said 21

• wow, you are a dumbass

• I don't understand people who take sports so seriously. It's just random people kicking a ball. Who cares?

• haha, you're one of those nut cases that screams at the tv if your team scores right?

yeah very immature reason not to date somebody.

• "immature, narrow minded, and petty"

That pretty much sums things up.

• I think it's crazy, but hey everyone has their shallow side. People reject others for all kinds of reasons, but you know what you want. Just make it clear to the girls your dating, and try to find a girl who either doesn't like sports, or likes the teams you like.

• I have not and never will understand die hard sports fans... I remember looking at universities and people would choose based off which team they liked or hated... how is that an aspect to a proper education that is best for you? Or a sign of a good relationship for you?

This clip basically sums up how I see die hard sports fans...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN1WN0YMWZU

• Yes. It makes you immature and shallow. Is it your right? Of course. Do what you want, as long as you can live with the fact that it might seriously make it harder to find someone...

• You are free to like or dislike whatever you want. If you don't feel like giving an other chance if something turns you off no matter how big or small it is, then just don't. Follow your heart and what you really desire and don't let others give you opinions on what you should do especially when it comes to dating and flirting. These are human feelings and logic shouldn't be involved. It's your life after all and you have the right to live it the way you want.

• Yup that's pretty fucking stupid. Grow up

• Definitely immature

• Some people take sports VERY seriously. While I don't relate, I would never call it immature. It's your passion. And if she is in direct opposition to you on that level, it makes all the sense in the world to not want to date her.

• Yeah pretty petty. I can't believe that is a deal breaker... wouldn't it make the relationship better if she has opposing beliefs.

• I think its stupid to have that be the main reason for not dating a girl. I could see that playing a part but it could end up being fun trashing talking and stuff on game days

• I hate trash talking because people take it too far. I'd rather date a woman who likes the same teams as me.

• It's fair enough, it makes me laugh, but it's what your standards are, so it's cool

• no that doesn´t make you immature that makes you stupid in my honest opinion. as if being a fan of a sports team has anything to do with character. god luck trying not to die alone with this attitude.

• We all die alone. That doesn't scare me. Nice try though I'm changing this standard.

• You know what I meant :) good for you.

• Yes it does

• I'd have a hard time dating a Manchester United fan, but a good time dating an Evertonian.

It's perfectly understandable.

• yes it does
    its just a sports team lol, its not like they live a completely different life because of it

• Id actually date LSU and auburn fans

and then make stuff about they got stds and how they got infected vags

• You are immature.
    I say you more, you never really loved this girl anyway.

• I've never been in love lol

• It will strike you one day and you will hate it and love it.

• Maybe you're right.

• That ain't immature, that's loyalty down to da bones.