Why do adults dismiss Teenage heart break. How come no one takes it seriously?

Like when you are in high school and you break up with someone or get dump and adults tell you to "get over it" or " you weren't in love anyways" but even if someone isn't in love that doesn't make all of those hurt feelings non exsistent. It doesn't make those feelings magically go away. And if it isn't love why do I feel this way? Like when I went through a heart break last year it was Horrible. I couldn't sleep for days, i tried to eat but food just felt like matter in my mouth, my voice shoke when I spoke, If i thought about him too much I could make myself and literally Vomit. I had cold sweats at night, I had nightmares and everything felt like complete devastation. I cannot stretch heaviness of that word. DEVASTATION. why don't adults take teenage heartbreak seriously it means something it's not like we just cry for nothing. We cry because it hurts.

If it isn't love- New Edition.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not fair to you, but I think that adults dismiss your angst because we see your age and how much more life you will get to experience in the coming years. AND we have been through heartbreaks and then the recovery periods. The heartbreak of past relationships kind of fades away.

For example, when I broke up with my first boyfriend (I was 23), I felt sick, couldn't stop crying for the first 3 days, would cry when I saw my bosses wedding picture in his office, and generally felt like shit every time I drove past his part of down. I was miserable.

Now, looking back I kind of laugh at how dramatic I was, and feel relief that I didn't settle for him... I have had many more compatible and emotionally powerful relationships, and I don't remember the actual feelings of that pain, I just remember how I responded.

But hopefully you're feeling better now... I get it!

• Hey thanks for making me MHO! :D

• Your welcome. You get it.

• I have to add: I remember when I was a freshman in college (18 years old), and I had never had a boyfriend/ experienced a break-up. My roommate was telling me "just wait until you have a break-up - it's AWFUL!" I was thinking 'yeah right, it can't be that bad.' Ah the innocence, lol omg was I wrong... FYI, break-ups don't feel any less painful when you get older either (sucks)

What Guys Said 8

• Because it's like a kid who just learned to walk could not understand how come we are not totally overwhelmed with joy every time we put a foot in front of the other. Because you eventually become in part immune to such things. And it's a good thing because if becomes much harder with time. You just lost someone you loved. Now imagine if you had kids with that guy, a house, a car, a life !. Later you will look back and realize how even if it felt so horrible at the time, it was nothing compared to what life can throw at you once you're older... You can't understand it right now, but give yourself some time and soon enough, you will hide a little smile when your own 16yo will tell you her horrible, horrible story.

• Because we haven't been teenagers in forever and we forgot what it was like. Then after you've had your heart broken a few times it get's a little easier and you have other things that consume your life hopefully so it becomes a little less painful.

• Because teenagers exaggerate everything, everything is devastating when it does not work out or they don't get their way.

Most times that great ever lasting love, is the result of being in love with the idea of being in love.

We adults were teens once too, and we went threw all the teenage crap and survived the great loves that we were sure we were going to die because we were not with.

• Because every person on the planet has to go through it and you can't move on with your life until you do get over it. It's not that they don't have empathy, but the faster you get through it and get that experience the sooner you can move forward with your life. It's like chicken pox.

• Because it literally doesn't matter most of the time and once you get older you will probably laugh at yourself for feeling the way you did

• Because we've been teenagers and have gone through it. Trust me, it gets harder when you get older haha

• I think cause you don't know what's all true to a little bit of exaggerating to lies

• because it's meaningless. life is long, very long. a heartbreak in the first 8th of your life is hardly going to affect you in the long run. plus its expected - you're still kids and hardly know what a real relationship even is

What Girls Said 4

• Of course it's painful. But the reason people don't take it as seriously is because hormones and emotions when you're that young are raging and you'll take things that aren't a big deal and blow them up into something bigger than it really is. I did when I was younger too. When my boyfriend and I split, I though my world was over... a year later, I realized of course it wasn't.

I feel people should be compassionate, but you also have to realize that relationships end, and you have to get used to it. If it destroys you that severely, then it's best you don't date.

• I just came for the comments. Questions like these are why I like GAG. These guys are speaking truth. That's one of the reasons I never bothered to date in high school, I knew the excess hormone levels from post puberty would make my emotions more chaotic and harsh than they would be when I got older. Plus what are the odds of actually staying with and dating someone from high school through college and beyond? Not quite that high, unless you one of you ends up settling for the other's way of life, or you put a shit ton more work on that relationship. NO MATTER WHAT you should never give up on your dreams just to be with someone. :) Good luck with the feels! We've all been there at some point or another; it's not the end of the world.

• I'm a teenager and I don't take teenage heartbreak seriously either. Sorry.

• Have you ever actually EXPERIENCED heart break? Any one who has ever gone through would probably understand it better. It seems like your looking from the outside in. Instead of the inside looking out.

• Oh please I've had one boyfriend before. He dumped me. And guess what? HE dumped ME, its his flipping loss. He's not worth the tears or drama. I got the heck over it in about a day.

• Because a lot of the times it was just infatuation