Is it acceptable to slap your partner when you are angry at them?

I recently had some "discussion" with a feminist who wanted to talk about men being violent with women. I agree that men should always be held accountable if they are violent towards women. But then I dared to ask about women slapping men. "Isn't that also offensive?" I asked. "Oh, that happens so rarely that it's not worth talking about," was the response I received. I recognized my sparring partner as a feminazi in wolf's clothing and quit the battle before it got too bloody. . . but I strenuously disagree with her assertion that women rarely are violent towards men.

So. . . please be honest. Women, if you have ever slapped, punched, kicked, or otherwise been violent towards a guy in a dating relationship, please fess up and tell us. Guys, if you have ever had a woman do any of that stuff to you, please let us know (regardless of whether she actually landed a punch or inflicted any harm or pain.)

• I'm a girl and I have, at least once in my lifetime, slapped, kicked, punched, or otherwise become violent with a guy in a dating relationship
  • I'm a girl and I have never slapped, kicked, punched, or otherwise become violent with a guy in a dating relationship
  • I'm a guy and I have had a girl, at least once in my lifetime, slap, kick, punch, or otherwise become violent with me in a dating relationship
  • I'm a guy and I have never had a girl slap, kick, punch, or otherwise become violent with me in a dating relationship

Most Helpful Girl

• I am a feminist and I agree with you. Funny enough, I had this conversation today with a guy friend of mine. The rate at which female violence against men occurs is irrelevant because it is wrong regardless. Although statistically more men tend to be violent towards women, it doesn't make it right for a woman to strike a man. Because, I don't care what age or gender you are, if someone is being violent with you- at some point you will return that violence. so it's isn't fair for ANYONE, male or female to use the response "you aren't supposed to hit girls" because you aren't supposed to hit boys either. To sum up. Violence against anyone is wrong, especially in a relationship. USE YOUR WORDS, feminist out :)

• Most feminists are against violence in all forms. Some are even for the abolishment of the military (such as myself). Practically this will never happen but it's a belief.

• My subjective impression - and I know that this is not a verified fact - is that women probably slap men more often because they see it portrayed in movies and television as an acceptable response and they also think that it's okay because it isn't inflicting any serious harm.

Violence is so unnecessary but it is an emotional response, not something that people sit around and think about before they do it. I think the key to reducing violence is in eliminating all of the modeling of male-female violence that kids see in television, movies, etc.

In any event, you get MHO!

• I agree, I remember seeing soaps on my grandmS tv when I was little, where a woman would be in an argument and slap a man. He was supposed to stand there then beg for the woman. But my mom taught me different. I agree this reaction should stop on tv because it deploys a negative message. Thanks for the MHO!

Most Helpful Guy

• I've been slapped and hit more than a few times and my response is consistently the same... never fucking lay a hand on me in anger again... ever. I would never hit a woman unless I felt like I had to protect myself from imminent harm, but a slap or a hit from most women doesn't rate as imminent harm so I haven't done it. But I did breakup with a girl the 2nd time she did it. Not gonna have it...

What Girls Said 9

• Feminists (not all, but some) unfortunately will neglect the faults in women because they don't want to acknowledge that men face sexism as well. Physical violence is one of those moments. Man or woman, no one has to right to hit anybody.

I slapped a guy once, in high school because he was bullying my friend. Due to my size and me being a girl, I received no punishment for it and everyone thought it was a big joke. It wasn't right and I feel terrible for it now.

• It sounds like it was a good learning experience for you, so don't beat yourself up too bad.

• I'm over it now but it definitely did show me how unfair guys have it in regards to violence.

• It's never okay for anyone to hit anyone else regardless of gender.

• I have thrown shoes at and pushed my boyfriend.
    The case where the woman is the violent partner is more apparent than that woman admits. I myself have been in the Victim Protection room of a courthouse due to my own DV case. I had to go back a few times every week. There was often quite a few men in there with me, and I overheard their stories of DV. One man even claimed his fiance held a knife to his throat.

• It does happen more often than some people think. It's absolutely worth discussing, especially as a feminist. This girl clearly hasn't educated herself on the topic of female on male domestic abuse.

I don't think it's ever ok to be violent just because you're frustrated or mad at someone. Violence should only be used as self defense.

• I'm really not okay with violence. I want to abolish the military for chrissakes. (Play fighting, yes. Any other type of hitting, no. Perhaps if I was incredibly incensed but it would take a lot. The worst thing I have ever done was squeeze a partner's back zit when he wasn't expecting it)

• Eh, my boyfriend and I play fight and spar sometimes so I'll have hit him at some point, but I wouldn't do it when I was angry with him or to actually hurt him.

• It doesn't happen rarely women's domestic violence is equal to men's it's just not reported.
    I've personally seen a bitch in highschool who was violent but more violent to other girls because she knew boys would kick her ass but I've still seen her bully a 14 year old emo boy. I never hit a boy and I won't do it unless they're hitting me.

• Abuse can come from any gender. It is extremely wrong for either person in any relationship situation to abusr their partner. I have play slapped my boyfriend because he asked me too in a kinky way. Once I did it too hard and felt horrible!!! But that was a genuine accident. But I think it is wrong to abuse your partner regardless of your gender or sex.

• NOOO!! Not the right move for either gender. Woman or man there's no right to place hands on eachother. Just not the right attitude tbh.

What Guys Said 6

• That woman needs to get her head out of the sand and face reality. Women slapping men happens often I believe. She is one of those sexist shitty women (not all are like this) that thinks "Men are evil and women can do no wrong". Some men get their balls kicked by some girls and the girl thinks it is funny. Not saying all girls are like this. There are violent women to as well as violent men. Sorry but women like the one you describe pisses me off, they have their panties in such a twist they can't see the real world.

• Actually, women are more violent in relationships because they know a slap isn't something the guy could sue her for, and most guys won't even break up with her because well, it's normal for a girl to slap a guy. When a woman hits a man "she had a reason for it, most likely he deserved it" is the response you're most likely gonna get (there are videos that show this).
    I dislike violence, I would never lay a hand on someone I care, so I expect the same thing from my partner. Hitting is unacceptable, no matter the situation, unless it's self defense of course.
    I'm tired of many women avoiding the fact that women are violent against men, it really boils my blood to see those type of women like the one you argued with.

• Statisticly women are more violent with there partners/family while men are more likely to be violent outside the family/with strangers.

• I've been slapped and punched by girls both out of a relationship. One was for screwing up a project she was working really hard on (IT WAS AN ACCIDENT.) The punch, i don't remember why.

Personally I believe that no one should hit anyone. It irritates me when people say boys just shouldn't hit girls. Does that make it okay for girls to hit guys?

• Luckily this has never happened to me.

• lmao, I think they can get it back if they dish it out.

https://youtu.be/V4akMaeZ0-k

• Maybe you should rethink that strategy. If you get down to wrestle with pigs, you get up covered with mud. . . and the pigs had fun!

• ooookay. lol