Is it stupid to not date a guy, with whom you have a physical attraction, because of his poor grammar and lack of effort into making conversation?

• Yes.
  • No.
His grammar was extremely horrible though! He would double-space on most occasions, even though it should be easier for one's hand to involuntarily single-space. He would also repeat words inappropriately. There's no excuse for that kind of grammar.

Most Helpful Guy

• Nope. Not stupid.
    If it's going to bug you throughout a hypothetical relationship, why expose yourself to that?
    Everyone has silly little sticking points and pet peeves. I can stand people who are passionate about something but refuse to even discus their opponent's point of view. As such I wouldn't even consider dating someone who I knew felt like that.
    It's not biggoted, we just have different values.

And poor grammer is something which can be fixed, often by simply paying attention. It's not like you are refusing to date a guy because of the colour of his skin, or because he's balding. It's something he could do something about but is putting no effort in. It's no different from a guy showing up to a date at a posh restraunt in a pair of scruffy cut-off jeans and a t-shirt with pit-stains.

Most Helpful Girl

• Not at all. Im mean not dating him because of his grammer is dumb. On the other hand, lack of conversation is different. Just recently I was talking to this guy. We were both attracted to each other, but he would only start texting me when he want to see me. Or if and when he did he texts were just like a yes or no. That just irritated me, because it just made me think that he just wanted one thing from me. So I sent him a text expressing myself and yeah. I'm not seeing him anymore. Poor conversation means he's not interested but in one thing. Unless of course he has a busy schedule for not texting.

What Guys Said 7

• Poor grammar is a stupid reason for anyone not to date anyone. Lack of effort into making conversation is more of a valid reason as you don't want to be the one that is always putting in the effort in while he/she puts nothing in.

• I met my wife on eHarmony a decade ago. One of the first things she noticed about me, is that in my profile I used properly structured and correctly punctuated sentences. Additionally, they contained no errors in spelling.
    If intelligence is truly attractive, then well written text is low hanging fruit, hanging there ripe for demonstration.

• I don't date women who make no effort into making conversation so it's not unreasonable.

• This would be the kind of things that would grow on you until it becomes too big to ignore. It does sound a little bit like a Jerry Seinfeld skit, but I understand your reasons.

• Whatever floats your boat. Date whomever you like.

• Why don't you be his English grammar teacher then?

• Because that would require me telling him that his grammar sucks, which isn't easy to do when you've only known someone for a short amount of time. I pointed out his reluctance to make conversation in a joking way and he felt offended and tried to turn it around on me, so I doubt he would take the grammar criticism very well. Lastly, considering he is 26 years old, grammar is something he should already know. Since he doesn't, I'm guessing he doesn't care enough to learn it.

• I say yes because some guys like me are just kind of shy and it may take a little work to get us to really open up. Usually once we do though you won't get us to shut up lol. As far as grammar I don't have bad grammar so I guess I can't really speak on that, but I think culture plays a role in grammar a lot of times.

What Girls Said 3

• It's one thing if he finds it hard to make conversation; it's another thing if he doesn't even try. Lack of effort to make conversation with you is just about the same as lack of interest in talking to you.

I voted B, but in his case he might be conscious of his grammar and that's why he's just opting to not talk at all.

• I don't mind the lack of effort at conversation, but I absolutely hate reading messages where the grammar is so poor I have to translate it as if it's a completely different language. I couldn't be interested in someone with horrendous grammar, unless they had other redeeming qualities, such as manners or something of the sort.

Another pet peeve is those who use lol constantly. Why do lol you need lol to lol at everything lol? <- I've had messages like that and it's horrible.

• ur life sure he might make cute babies but he isn't gonna help pay the bills and have a adult conversation when needed