What are your thoughts on dating websites?

What are your thoughts on dating websites. I met my ex boyfriend on a dating website back in 2014 for the first time i have nevr used dating apps before but then a friend of mine told me all about badoo the dating app. I wish i hadn't of met him and i wish i hadn't of used badoo was it a wise idea to use dating apps or not.

Most Helpful Guy

• I found my girlfriend on a dating site (OkCupid). She is the first girl I ever contacted on dating sites and my first girlfriend.

I think dating sites are much better than trying to ask out female friends in real life. Female friends are usually not interested in a relationship, and my social circle is male-majority too, so they have no lack of choices. On dating sites at least, you know the other person WANTS a relationship.

Also, the kind of girls (quiet girls) that I like are usually not very outgoing in real life. But they'll at least be on dating sites! So I can slowly analyze their profile and decide if I like their character and looks before getting in touch with them.

I would caution to focus on chatting online first, gauging their sincerity, and finding out if the person you're contacting wants companionship and a long-term relationship, or just wanting to have fun. For the 1st week, I spent it all on understanding who my girlfriend was, what she liked, and if we could converse like friends. It worked, so I got a girlfriend. :)

Most Helpful Girl

• I Currently have and Have Had a profile on Badoo, @kerrilousie, for over five years now. I have dated a few nice guys that I have even been in a relationship with and now, I just merely go in there to Delete the many who come to say "Hi" or just see what is going on with everything. I really am not that interested at this time.
    However, a man nearly five years ago from Egypt found me on FB, and we had started a whirlwind romance by Chance. After getting to know him and his family better on Skype, I then flew off to the magical land of Cairo where I stayed for 30 days. Things went so well, I then three months later after coming home, hopped back on, tying the knot at the Ministry of Justice with him.
    We have had many ups and downs, Breakups and Makeups but we are still married. Currently, we are trying again, for the Millionth time to make it work, and with God speaking to me after the long three years, I may just go back for awhile to be with him and our family.
    Online dating has its good points and not so good. And some people may just not feel they even want to try it. If it works for Some and Some like yourself who has this sour ball about a Certain Someone, there are hundreds and hundreds more to choose from, who are much more Reputable Than.. Badoo.
    Good luck. xx

• It is so interesting to follow your story! You should write your memoirs about it.

• No problem i thought i was made going on a dating website @paris13 cause he was nasty to me and my family. Xxoo

• Oh, I see, sweetie.. How is it going now, 2 months later? xxoo

What Guys Said 44

• @GraySailorsBride and I are an eHarmony couple. Nine happy years married as of June.

www.hookingupsmart.com/.../

• Personally I don't use it.
    It feels... weird how people are actively going out as to

"HEY , I AM LOOKING FOR A DATE"
    "COOL! I AM LOOKING FOR A DATE AS WELL! LET'S DATE!"
    "OKAY!"

That feels alien to me or maybe that's because I don't really understand people that well to begin with ha.

• They first have a few conversations before saying that ;P

• Some, albeit very rare, do ask for dates or to text right away before having much conversation. This one girl asked me to get a drink in her initial message. She wasn't that good looking but I was turned off because she'd ask me if I was there if I didn't respond to her text right away, asked me to meet up 4 nights in a row when I told her I was busy, and constantly asked me what I was looking for while she reminded me what she was looking for. I ain't desperate and she sounded super clingy right from the get go.

• I don't see anything wrong with them. Some people don't have time to date. Others might feel more confident about finding someone with common values and interests. For some, it's just a tool, another possible way to meet someone.

• It definitely is easier to find someone with common interests on dating sites, no doubt. Also easier to approach women. It's not that I'm shy/afraid of rejection with approaching women in public but more of not knowing what to say unless they're wearing a shirt of something I like.

• It's for white people, rich people, or super aesthetic big tall muscular dudes.

I checked that badoo app out while checking out tinder with my buds, our most awkward, skinny white friend had the most success.

• people need to see them for what they are and it’s something that capitalizes (makes money off of) on people that are lonely and desperate, not to mention that the majority of profiles on dating sites aren’t active and that the people on there that are active are mostly married and broken people that don’t need to be dating in the first place. I am pretty sure there are some success stories but that more of the exception then the norm. Most people end up disappointed and never meet a quality person.

• I have no experience with them, but I don't see an problem as long as you use a reputable site that ensures a good match. Not everyone is good at meeting new people in person, so a little help with a dating site is ok in my opinion.

• I like them personally. It quick and fast and we cachat through out the day
    If I like what I read we can meet up for a date or eve. Skype.

It was easy for me in the beginning because I had no confidence in talking to girl I thought were attractive. Also I'm to dumb to catch girls signals in real life so online means that they saw my pic and profile would Like to talk.

You can also get a fwem of what the other person looking for and what. They like.

Relationship, friends with benefits , one night stand, dating , friend or looking for something serious it easy.

Well I like it

• Dating sites are the chance we take to use them , i believe there's good and bad
    in them i really don't think they are all that bad but not all that good either i think
    the Internet is made of many different people and there is lot people with low
    self esteem use dating sites, some are mentally ill , i just say approach with caution

• Yeah there's a variety of people but the craziest people I've met on there was a girl who had MAJOR baggage/esteem issues and the other was a recovering heroin addict. Both were very physically attractive, not that I just liked them for that, but when you see red flags, never ignore them. The one with major baggage was rebounding so hardcore that she asked me to make fun of her ex for his babydick, and she eventually went back to him.

• It's not a bad idea to use those sites; you just have to have realistic expectations. There will be people who lie, some who are users or con artists, just like everywhere in life. It's just easier to hide it on the web.

So don't give up on the sites just because of one bad experience. I know several people who met their spouse on the web.

• Like me! Just a couple of weeks til our first year anniversary! :D

• dating sites are like 95% men looking for hookups. It's hard to talk to a girl when she's getting 100 other messages from guys, too timid to go out to a club, trying to be smooth about begging for sex.

• So did i make a right choice by staying of them.

• well, there's no real "wrong" choice. It's a matter of how you want to go about things. If you are a girl on a dating site, you have to be a bit aggressive in your search. Just ignore your inbox altogether and don't talk to anyone unless you talk to them first, or you'll get disheartened. Places like OKCupid make this easier - at least, I think their matching system is pretty good.

• My opinion of dating websites aren't very high. It might become useful when you get older and people take it more seriously. Dating sites tend to attract bottom feeders who can't get a man or woman in real life.

Most girls have unrealistic expectations of the guys on there.
    Most of the guys just don't give a shit or lie through their teeth.

It's really just a cluster fuck of dick heads and bitches. Maybe once and a blue moon someone decent comes along, but then you have to swim through all the scum to find him/her. Chances are you're going to get covered in scum and get a bad taste in your mouth.

• I think internet dating tends to favor women more than men in terms of finding someone interested in you because women are vastly outnumbered by men on dating sites.

However, this doesn't guarantee you'll find a good man, it just means you'll probably find more men. I kind of think you're just as likely to meet a bad man on the internet as you are in real life.

• I've used several dating website but none of them work as much as they on tv about how eharmony and all those other dating sites work they really really don't. If I tried to message a girl she would never respond back or if she did she would talk to me for about 2 days and then disappear completely and never say anything to me again. Actually some of them even turned out to be cam girls and that was really annoying. Dating sites are truly a lie.

• Not all dating sites are a lie and u have to give the girl time to reply back maybe she had other stuff going on in her life that she couldn't message u straight back

• oh believe me I gave them time like a month maybe even two months

• I think they should be disbanded personally

• Why should they be disbanded @ ordinarygentlman

• Because people shouldn't rely upon electronics, it makes the relationship less sensible in the fact they exchanged a few messages online, compared to those relationships where people meet doing something together

• I'm neutral. Sometimes, they work and sometimes they don't. Even the free ones, there's no guarantee of success.

• I was never in a dating site but i think it works for some and others not, you can find some good people there but also bad ones. so its mixed but expect the later

• Dating sites/apps are always a help to meet people, so they are good. We just need to be cautious and know what we want, and defend ourselfs.

• 1|0
  • I think it'd suck if I ever had to resort to one. But look at my avatar...

• Nahh. I mean tinder used to work sometimes but that's not a 'dating site' .

Find hot people and annoy them till they put out. HUHUHUHU

• They personally don't sit well with me. Those sites are full of the bitter, desperate, and obese. If you're someone who isn't like that on there it will get old quick. that's why I quit after like two weeks.

• Some of them dating sites aren't for the bitter desperate or obese people. There's people out there that can find love on dating sites for me i did find love on badoo but i made a total mistake

• I've talked to a few alright people on there, but people were rather standoffish to me. I dunno. Nobody really wanted to talk.

• it never seem like the right kind of place to find someone, I mean I don't think it's wrong for those who find people there, but I need to look a person right in the eyes before I decide to ask them out...

• Well, I have personally dated a website. I don't think I ever would as they can't really go anywhere unless you can acquire the server. Then I guess you could take the website out on dates but I think conversation would be rather one sided. I think sex would be cumbersome too. Even if you unplug it I recommend wearing thick rubber condom as the capacitors can still maintain some current and could prove to be shocking.

I'd much rather be alone.

• It's not for me and I will never try it at all

• Never had success on any of them yet. I often wonder why I bother.

• Good and Bad I have a girlfriend I met online and now I'm stuck I don't know what to do because now she is super emotionally attached to me and SUPER insecure and Is running my life and changing me AND SO Clingy

• Then that's you're answer. Online dating sites can help and sometimes they fail you got to fully know the person behind the screen

• LMAOOOO Perfect description of online dating experience scenario. MHO right here

• what's wrong with them?

• It doesn't work for me since I live in Pakistan :/

• Of course dating sites could work for u no matter where u are at. Look at me i was on baddo for a while and i got people from belfast, londonderry, portrush and england

• They are lame

• More from Guys
    14

What Girls Said 28

• I'm not in to it. I'm one of these women who I know attracts men on the street, and they approach me even though I'm taken. However, online, someone sees my picture and assumes me to be thin, even though I am not. For some reason I take great pictures but I'm really only 5'2 and I'm just going to say I weigh over 150 pounds. This has nothing to do with camera angles and cute puckery kissy faces. This is a straight-on shot with no care how the camera takes me. It's just I distribute my weight normally and it's proportionate in a photo. The ten-pounds-are-added-in-photos just doesn't apply to me. Never has.

However, every single time I talked to a guy from a dating site, I'd tell them up front, look, I'm overweight. They would always say, yeah yeah that's fine. Meet me, then they had comments to make about my weight. It was just a waste of my time.

I knew the only way I could meet my match was like all other matches: let the guy see me in person first, find me attractive and then we go from there. For some reason, the online, single dimensional way of seeing someone just isn't natural and often times can lead to someone questioning their attractiveness. Funny how I can be considered gorgeous to guy who sees me first, but online, they build up this mega-beauty and then get disappointed even though I tell them the truth.

I also think online dating is fine if you make it friendship-only at first, that way there's no real upset if things don't work out romantically. Be friends, chat, hang out, but make no real target of getting involved. That way, if you do get together, it will be based on more physical attraction after that, and if you don't work out, then at least you've made one more friend from your experience.

• lol... Good place to start with a Date with a Potential Mate, @cl_517.:)) xxoo

• I met my boyfriend through one. We weren't sure about it either but having met each other we're glad we were on there. See, I was looking for him and he was living under a rock to keep the other girls from getting to him first. A dating site may have been the necessary option for us. It's always the last place you look, isn't it? Don't you hate when someone puts themselves where they know you'll find them and then you forget where they put themselves because it's not where you normally would have put them? Either way, I'm just glad I found him. (:chuckle:)

• I met my boyfriend online dating and I'm very happy. Don't use apps like badoo and tinder. Try ones like eharmony where guys are more serious.

Also 1/3 of marriages are from couples who met online.

When researchers looked at how many couples had divorced by the end of the survey period, they found that 5.96 percent of online married couples had broken up, compared to 7.67 percent of offline married couples.

Among couples who were still married during the survey, those who met online reported higher marital satisfaction -- an average score of 5.64 on a satisfaction survey -- than those who met offline and averaged 5.48.

The lowest satisfaction rates were reported by people who met through family, work, bars/clubs or blind dates.

The research is based on a nationally representative survey (USA) of 19,131 people who married between 2005 and 2012.

Online dating is not all bad guys.

• Yes and no.
    The internet is filled with people who lie and cheat and make fake profiles. So in that sense it's not a great idea no.

But I think it's a good thing for people who are shy or maybe have problems which means communicating is hard. I think it's a good tool.

Personally I wouldn't use them. I'm a very chatty, bubbly, social person and at the age I am now I don't feel I need it - I don't have kids or a divorce or anything. I don't find it weird if others do but it's just not my cup of tea.

My boyfriend was on dating websites before he met me. Met quite a few women through there.

• It doesn't matter when and where you meet people. All that matters is that you are happy and he or she is the person that you want to be with. Heck I couldve met my future husband from outer off space and it might not make one difference. No, I dont think you should be sad about meeting him on that date app.. why are you wishing you never met him?

• Honestly, I think to think to each their own there are some many different ways to meet people nowadays and I have friends who dating apps have worked wonderfully for. Personally, I prefer the more organic approach I like to meet people I am interested in, in person. But that is just me! :)

• I'm fine with it. Almost everyone I know is online dating. Nothing wrong with it

• I think in general the problem with dating websites is that everyone in there really wants to be with someone (hold on... keep reading...) I much prefer people who are fulfilled in themselves and a relationship is a bonus, not a way of filling their lives. It makes sense in theory but I find it counterproductive.

• Despite the bad rep that online dating has it's not true for everyone. It is more competitive than meeting people elsewhere. I think it is convenient ad some people have success and some people don't but I won't knock it.

• Yeah definitely. People say it's the easy way out and actually it's harder because when I meet women, I tend to talk to a few at a time, because they most likely are too as they get more messages.

• @bloodmountain1990 The one time that I almost tried online dating I uploaded my pic and then went to fill out the rest of my profile. By the time I was done I had so many alerts for winks and messages it was crazy and a bit overwhelming. I then decided to deactivate my account lol I couldn't go through the process.

• there's always a first for everything. It may have been a good idea considering the fact you actually know how it works and know you probably don't want to use it again lol

• Personally I have tried multiple dating apps and it's not because I'm desperate. I just wanted to meet more people. From experience none of the guys I've met have not really fit with me and aren't on the same page. They all wanted to fuck or wanted nudes. Also, I'm currently dating a guy I met off one of those apps so who knows how it'll work out.

• It's easy to lie online. People can use false pictures, a false personality etc. That is the worst scenario, of course. But most make themselves look better than they really are. Even if you enjoy talking to someone online, they are probably an entirely different person when you meet them.

I used a dating site a few years ago, and everyone is just looking for the prettiest picture. It's all vanity and deceit.

• Yeah misleading pictures is a very common thing on those sites. I mean appearance isn't everything but you gotta have somewhat of a physical attraction to date them. I've had countless amount of times where women used misleading pictures, whether it's pictures at angles, face shots only or outdated pictures and say they're average or curvy and end up being fatter (way fatter) in person and then it's awkward because I have no attraction to them and don't wanna insult them but also not give them false hope either.

Now there have been girls who I thought were cute who had a few extra pounds for their body type and still met up with. If a person is honest about it then you can't complain because you knew what you're getting into.

• They might work for some people, but I would never use them. Plus, I think it wouldn't work for me.

• I really dont believe in them, I have never tried to find "love" or anything on the internet and I personally have never heard from anyone with a good relationship that started off like that, but thats just my opinion, go outsude your house, go to new places meet new people and be happy regardless ;)

• So many horny people on there!!! They ruin it for the honest people

• people can get easily scammed.

• Lots are hookup sites

• yes, I'm thinking of joining eHarmony.

• Great Choice, @cl_17.. Right now, One of the Highest rating dating sites for Matches and Marriage.. Good luck. xx

• @Paris13 yes maybe I will but not to marriage right now, I'm too young for that!

• I dont trust them

• No there they are a pool of sharks. Fakes, liars an old men who are desperate

• I wouldn't use one, but if other people want to that's their business.

• it sounds dangerous to me.

• Dating sites are just a mean to find a person you'll potentially get attracted to. As in real life, it may or may not lead to a serious relationship!
    Many friends met their boyfriend on a dating site and they clicked!
    Good luck with that!

• Met my current boyfriend in Omegle not really a dating app but it was cool experience, never thought there would be a guy like him whose nice and has a big respect for her girlfriend :) You should try meeting someone over internet but you should be careful and wise 😊

• I personally think that dating websites are impersonal, too structured, and is unsafe/ can lead to bad outcomes if the person isn't the one you were expecting to meet. Think of it this way, what makes a better story to tell, running into a guy by chance and falling in love or running into his chatroom on a screen. But, I mean people are different, different strokes for different folks I guess. I just think dating websites are an artificial means of finding love.

• My boyfriend and i met on plenty of fish. I feel lucky everyday. Needless to say i met and talked to many creeps and assholes along the way but we are very happy together. Maybe our story is one in a million, but i know a lot of people who met online who went on to live very happy lives together. Good luck people! :)

• That's where I met mine, too. Couldn't be happier.

• I met my guy on OKCupid. Blissful cannot even describe our relationship. <3
      There were indeed many pervs, but pervs are half the time funny to me, and the other half simply fascinating. You know, like "how can someone be THAT bold?" I've never gotten offended by them personally.

• Honestly, I wouldn't want to date a guy who has such low game that he has to resort to using a dating website to find girls. I'm also paranoid about being catfished.

I think there's a difference between dating websites (like eHarmony) and apps (like Tinder). Websites are more for people looking for an actual relationship (but can't find people in real life for whatever reason), apps are more for hookups. I don't use either and don't think I ever will. I guess I'm still pretty traditional, especially when it comes to dating.

• "So low game". Has it occurred to you that adults who are out of school don't have time to go clubbing all the time or hang out places to meet girls? Where I work it is 85% male, and my town being pretty much a 'burb means almost everyone you meet of legal age is hitched. Yeah, I didn't use those sites in college or right after, but things change.

• That goes both ways don't you think? I mean women have it much easier when trying to find a hookup/relationship and if they're on a dating site then they're probably having struggles finding someone too.

There's nothing wrong with meeting a person traditionally, I prefer it, but sometimes people have a lack of opportunities and the only times I've met women at bars were just for hookups and usually aren't the best places to meet someone if you're looking for something serious. Not that it can't work out, but usually doesn't.

• I understand what you mean about someone not having time or opportunity find people in real life. I'm just speaking from my own perspective, as a young college student. For me, there are endless opportunities to meet people my own age. I understand that's not the case with everyone, and then dating websites might be your only option.

• The only people who use them are... pervs, creepy weirdos or those who are desperate to be in a relationship but someone closer to home doesn't want them. Stooping so low means you can't have much going for you. I get asked out on dates all of the time, no matter where i go. I'd never date a guy who had been on a dating website, because it shows he isn't a good catch

• I thought my ex was a good descsion but i was proving wrong when he called me and my family names

• So happens, as a woman making over 85k a year and passably good looking, I have a lot going for me. What I DON'T have is interest or time to go barhopping, trying to weed out hookups from someone genuinely interested in more, or dating my coworkers.

I have met many good, decent and good looking guys online who are also tired of the games.

Your description is wildly inaccurate and I suspect either you have never used a reputable site or have had bad luck on one.

• What about women on dating sites? Are they not a good catch either if they're on them?