Would you date someone who takes opiate painkillers on a regular basis?

Little background info here:
I've had a misaligned jaw for a couple of years; my orthodontist messed up with braces, and causes a lot of problems. I can't afford the treatment to re-align my jaw at the moment. Even with health cover, it'll cost a few thousand. Because of the misalignment, I get severe TMJ pain, headaches, nausea and referred pain to my neck and back. To manage it, I take large amounts of codeine, as well as oxycodone and naloxone when it's particularly bad. (Please note; I was prescribed all of this, but some of it wasn't intended for this purpose.)

Some of my friends and family have expressed concern over the amounts of painkillers I take, but I simply can't function without them.

I'm wary about telling any guy I date about the drugs, even when I stay with him. I either try to be discreet, or try to soldier on through the pain (very difficult), because I don't know how he's going to react.

Would any of you have a problem with this? Can you please explain?

• I would have a major problem with it. Undateable.
  • I'd have a minor problem. Mostly just concern.
  • I wouldn't care.
  • Other/show results.

Most Helpful Guy

• are you allowed to take all that? be careful!

• Yes, I am. I'm very careful about what I take, and when, how often I take it, and how much I take. I know the side effects, and I'm avoiding taking each medication long enough to develop a dependency.

• Sure thing, I'd love to hear from you.

What sucks was that he wasn't young. He was 27. He also took medication for sleep and pain himself, so not only was he insensitive, he was a hypocrite.

• sheesh :P his loss. i think I've gotten enough to get to level two now i just have to wait the 24hrs for it to count up, meh. i'll keep an eye on your other writings too =)

What Guys Said 4

• "I've had a misaligned jaw for a couple of years; my orthodontist messed up with braces, and causes a lot of problems. I can't afford the treatment to re-align my jaw at the moment. Even with health cover, it'll cost a few thousand. Because of the misalignment, I get severe TMJ pain, headaches, nausea and referred pain to my neck and back. To manage it, I take large amounts of codeine, as well as oxycodone and naloxone when it's particularly bad. (Please note; I was prescribed all of this, but some of it wasn't intended for this purpose.)"

^did u sue this guy? wot he did was heavily unprofessional.

"Some of my friends and family have expressed concern over the amounts of painkillers I take, but I simply can't function without them."

^shit... that's sad... painkillers might've other negative effects... isn't it possible to avoid 'em?

"I'm wary about telling any guy I date about the drugs, even when I stay with him. I either try to be discreet, or try to soldier on through the pain (very difficult), because I don't know how he's going to react."

^if u r datin a guy seriously i believe he should know... if he really likes u, he'd understand i believe.

"Would any of you have a problem with this? Can you please explain?"

^of course not. y should it be a deal-breaker? she's not doin anything bad... i'd help her solve her probs about it instead

• Can't afford legal help right now. I also have no access to free services, due to my parent's income and my age.

I've got a good understanding of what I take. I work in the healthcare field, so I know how to avoid overdoses and how to manage side effects.

I agree. He should know, and if I were dating anyone exclusively, and we were serious about each other, I would tell him. I'm just worried about how he would react.

• Thanks for saying that... I've been really stressed about it. The instant I mention it to anyone, they automatically assume I'm an addict. I'm not, I'm so careful about it.

• np u r welcome :)

• i'm curius; how much does those painkillers cost per month? And for how long do you expect to use them before you can aford to realign your jaw?

Also, why the hell aren't you suing the crap out of the dentist who fucked up? Clearly it's his fault, and he should be responsible for it all!

• Painkillers, really not that expensive. I have private health cover, and they're all subsidised anyway.

I don't have the money to get legal help, either, but I don't have access to free legal advice because of my parents circumstances. It's a bit fucked up.

• that's good.
      Then i'm afraid all you can do is wait and hope for the best.

As for your original question; yes and no. If she was clearly addicted to the stuff then stay away. But if not, then she's just a regular girl with her problems, and she'd have the same chance as every other girl (which is still zero, since i'm taken XD ).

• Yeah, that's basically it. I have a great tolerance to pain (as I'm sure you could imagine haha) and am very careful. I really have no other options than to take the drugs, since I can't function without them. If I don't take them, I can't sleep, eat, or even talk well.

That's fair, thanks so much for your input.

• I wouldn't date someone who takes pain killers unless they had cancer
    otherwise i could never date / love them..

• Why, though? I can't get through a day because of the pain. Why is that any worse than any other illness?

• Best wishes :) :D

• Why be deliberately unhelpful?

• Of course I'd be concerned about them. It wouldn't stop me dating them if they were hot.

What Girls Said 2

• You really should file a lawsuit on your orthodonist. They should pay to correct your jaw again.

If you don't' sort this pain killer problem, it's going to be in the way of relationships you have with guys.

• I don't have the money to seek legal help, and because of my parents income and my age, I don't have access to the free government legal services in my area.

Can you explain why it would cause problems with guys? I'm concerned about it, but I don't know exactly what the roadblock will be.

• It's not that I think it won't create side effects. It does cause side effects. I'm just prepared to manage them, with my doctor's help.

Besides, what choice do I have? I can't afford the treatment, and I can't borrow money for it. I've been dealing with this pain for well over a year, and I can't handle it without the painkillers. If I don't take them, I can't sleep, I can't eat, and I can barely speak.

• I'm not a guy... so i wouldn't know. :P

Do what you have to do.

• This is why I love being Canadian.

• I'm Australian. Our healthcare system is great, but doesn't pay for dental. Private health funds apparently don't pay for this type of treatment, either.

• Still undue pain and suffering because some asshole fucked up.

• Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, I have no way of proving that he fucked up. Even if I could, I couldn't afford the legal help.