Am I overreacting?

My family tell me that I am. My sister just started seeing my most significant ex. I am very angry with her about it. Everyone tells me since he's an ex, I shouldn't care. I would never go for one of her exes. I wouldn't even go for someone she's interested in. I was with him for six years and we broke up a year ago.

Am I overreacting?

• yes
  • no

Most Helpful Guy

• You were with him for 6 years?

That is crazy that your sister would do that. It would be shitty of any of your friends to do something like that, let alone a relative.

You can date exes of siblings if it was a super casual relationship that ended awhile ago, but come on!

It sucks, because I have no idea what you can do. I suppose all you can do is go to your sister about it and just present it plainly:
    You aren't ok with this, you likely never will be. Part of the healing process if you breaking up involves cutting him out of your life and she is preventing that from happening. She is putting herself in front of you and that makes you feel like you don't matter, on top of being hurt by the action itself.

You can't really take any action to stop them, but you do need to let her know what is what.

Most Helpful Girl

• You're not overreacting at all.

What Guys Said 3

• Ouch. Yeah six years tends to leave deep scars... and lots of emotions which will take more than a year to work out.

I can't say if you are 'over reacting' or not, because I don't know what actions you have taken... but I will comfortably call your sister (and by extention any family members who dont get it) an insensitive bitch.
    It's not liek it's a guy you dated twice a few years back. 6 years is a fairly serious relationship.

• It's her choice... he's your ex, and you should be over him

• My bros and I wouldn't even go there. Especially if it was someone I'd been with for a long time.

What Girls Said 3

• Yes you are overreacting a bit. Its her life, when she finds out he's not the one for her, shell hopefully learn from that. But anyone should be free to date or even have an interest in whoever they want even if it doesn't seem right at first.

• I hope everything works out for u

• I don't think you're overreacting. There are rules for this. Bestfriends aren't allowed to date your ex, mother or sister. Same goes for a sister, she's never allowed to date an ex, especially w/o talking to you first. I'd feel betrayed and hurt. If I were in your shoes I'd probably stop talking to her. But that's just me. I'm sorry this happened to you :/