Guys: any reason you wouldn't text a girl you like?

This guy has shown interest in me for a couple months now. He initiated conversation, was really goofy and tried to make me laugh, starting sitting next to me in class, holds doors open, appears out of nowhere all the time, and even bought my drinks a couple of different times when we ran into each other at the bars in our college town.

Our teacher made us get everyone's numbers the first day of class, so I decided to be bold and text him to say thank you for the drinks the following day, but he never texted back anything. He was still friendly and flirty in class a couple days after but never said anything about it so I felt kind of like an idiot.

I guess my question is: is there any reason you would NOT text a girl back if you liked her? Could he be trying to play it cool or is that a clear sign that I was just reading too much into it?

Most Helpful Guy

• He definitely likes you. I think the problem is he doesn't want to make a move (replying back to the text would probably be one). There is a line to cross between chivalry/buying drinks and asking you out on a date; he probably is nervous about crossing that line since he's not sure if you like him. You've repeatedly said how he has flirted with you, but you don't sound like you've given him much feedback in return.

Guys are very responsive to physical signs like touch and apparent visual stuff. Try taking the flirting to the next level (casually touch his arm or something) and if he doesn't ask you out, perhaps you want to make the next move?

• I never thought about that "crossing the line" dilemma? And you really made me think about myself and how I'm recipricating his flirting...I think sometimes I get so caught up in what he does that I forget about what I'm doing and how it might come off to him. Thanks so much!

What Guys Said 3

• First off, this is a good thing. A guy never send mixed signals if he didn't like you. He wouldn't be one way one day and another way the next. It looks to me like he wants to hint that he like you but at the same time change his actions so it wouldn't seem obvious to you. And last but not least, a guy would never constantly stare at you if he didn't find anything interesting in you. Maybe, you need to privately tell him you like him. I know it's hard and you might not get a response which is a dead giveaway he likes you if he's the shy type. For now, give him some space. Don't text him right now. I know it's hard and most of the time frustrating. Wait and let him come around to you. When he see that you're not around as much maybe he'll open up to you and express how he's really feeling. But whatever you do, always speak when you see him in person, or he'll start to think you don't like him and he'll give up the chase. \

Good Luck.

- Harvey D

• maybe he doesn't have txt messageing, that could realy be the problem. talk to him about pursueing a relationship, that should help your situation. or he could be nervous... just take a leap of faith... its all equivalant exchange, in order to gain something of equal value must first be lost.

• maybe he doesn't have free text. lol. or maybe he doesn't know how to check text messages. That could be it.

What Girls Said 1

• It could be a possibility that he is using a new number, he may have lost his phone or some other reason... but it sounds to me that he likes you. Good luck!