How long after a break up until I can acceptably get with someone else?

I was with my boyfriend 1 year and 4 months but he broke up with me and how long should I wait until I get with someone either dating or just in a club? I don't know what is an acceptable amount of time

Most Helpful Guy

• You want take time to heal in all aspects , i would say wait for like 6 months to year than start dating but it wouldn't hurt to find a guy friend but nothing more and take it lightly
    keep yourself busy, go out to mall if it's just to exercise, go to the library read books
    that is quiet place to calm your nerves and i wish you the best of things ,

Most Helpful Girl

• Forget how long. Is there someone who is pursuing you right now that you find yourself interested in? Why worry about when to date if you haven't met someone compelling enough to want to take it to that level? I'm not one for clubs but don't go there to meet someone. And I hope you are refraining from hooking up with guys there as it is a double edged sword. If you believe you are worth something, you wouldn't allow just anyone to handle you. Girls who are easily available even if it stops at kissing are diminishing the strength of relationship for themselves and guys as well as teaching guys that girls are all after one thing but not worthy mates. Go to a club because you find the atmosphere fun and something you want in your life. Do the things you want in your life. Life is more than love and in fact, love is more than romantic love. Wait for someone who cherishes you and you want to cherish. That is when to date.

What Guys Said 10

• I think its whenever you feel ready, however if the relationship lasted a year I would say wait a month just so it doesn't reflect poorly on you or him (if there was an amicable break you woulnd't want it to seem like you are glad there gone because it would be rather hurtful).

• As long as it takes you to feel comfortable about it. You don't owe him a waiting time, he broke up with you. If you feel like you're ready to move on then go for it. If you don't feel like you're over him or if you don't think you're mentally ready for another guy, then dont.

• I smacked my forehead reading this. Don't take it personally; it's just... it's so stupid how much pressure society puts on people that these questions get asked.

• As I see it you needn't wait. Just whenever you're ready.

• I would wait a bit. People might think of you badly. Do you have to get with someone right away or can you wait?

• Whenever you're ready. If you can go now then it's awesome.

• Don't go by a timetable. Listen to your feelings; and don't be in a rush.

• 3 months is the norm.

• As soon as you feel confortable doing it. You don't have to explian yourself to anyone. Take care.

• Whatever you see fit , it's a personal preference

What Girls Said 8

• just dont get someone else attached if you are not ready yet, you will hurt the new guy

• He broke up with you, so it's not going to look bad for you no matter how soon you date someone else. It's expected that you would move on from him.

• You should wait until you are ready to move on, no sooner or later

• There isn't really an "acceptable" amount of time when it comes to waiting to start dating again after you've broken up with someone. If you feel ready to start again then go right ahead!

• It depends on how you feel
    There is no acceptable amount of time some people just move on faster than others and want to date sooner
    It does not mean one person is better than the other

• Immediately in my opinion
    Get back out there enjoy being single :)

• Whenever you feel ready, honestly. It varies from person to person, but usually there is needed time that should pass or to "heal".

For me, when I broke up with my ex of 3 years, I waited about 4 months. I was able to process the situation, get rid of his things, recover from the emotional abuse, and then start to love myself again. Once I was done with all that and ready, I started to date again.

• Acceptable? Whenever you want to and feel ready!