Would you date someone if your parents don't approve?

why or why not? Explain :)

• yes
  • no

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I would, although I would listen to them and ask them to why they don't approve her, and see if their reasons are rational or nah, but you know what, my parents have no say about that, and they themselves told me that, when I saw this question I asked both of them about how would they feel if I married a girl they don't like, and they say that it's my life and I have the freedom to choose, they said that they wouldn't be disappointed because they trust me and my choices, so they realize that I know what's best for me more than anyone else.

At the end of the day, I'm the one who is gonna live with her not them, of course they have the right to advise me and tell me about their opinions, but the final decision is mine in this case.

• What would be "rational reasons" then?

• If you live with them still, they do. Their house, their rules. Unless you start paying rent of course

• @dave20151 I'm lucky enough that I don't have controlling parents to a point where they are gonna choose the girl that I can be with just because I live with them. I'm mainly talking about a serious relationship that will end up with marriage by the way, and of course I won't be living with my parents at that point but anyway my parents don't view it in such a materialistic way, you know? Like "if you live in our house then you have to live under our rules" because they are my family, they are not a government, I believe that my parents have a say on me in a lot of things, regardless if I live with them or not, and regardless if I pay the rent or not. It doesn't really matter, they are my parents overall and they have a say on me in a lot of situations in life. It has to do with respect not with whether I live with them or not or whether I pay the rent or not, I'm gonna listen to them anyway.

But the point is, there are few things that no one has a say on besides you, your partner is one.

Most Helpful Girl

• My parents have no say in what I do and ego I date.

That being said, they're aware I'm picky as fuck and know I wouldn't settle for someone shitty as a partner.

Also, what my mom prefers in men is VASTLY different from my taste, so her opinions in men are irrelevant to me, to be honest.

She knows I've been with the same guy for years and she likes him, because he treats me well and we love each other. :)

• Do you still live with your parents?

• @Dave20151

No, I moved out years ago. However, my parents had no say in who I went out with when I was living at their place too.

What Guys Said 36

• I'll challenge him for it!
    static.comicvine.com/.../...sammo_fight_super.jpeg
    If I lose , I will still do it anyway lol

• For better or worse I was giving complete freedom when growing up. My upbringing was the complete opposite of this Banksy quote which I am very grateful for m5.i.pbase.com/.../31683275.4133raindrops.jpg
    Because I feel ultimately I agree with Anne Frank's quote meetville.com/.../...e-Meetville-Quotes-138629.jpg
    I would be horrified if my parents ever expected to be asked for their approval on anyone I was dating. I would accept advice and guidance but that would be it.

• I don't think that's something I'd have to worry about. With stuff like this, they trust my judgment. They'd voice concerns if they had them, but they know that I'd make my own decision.

• My parents are of course free to voice any concerns they might have about anyone I date, but ultimately the choice is not theirs to make.

I would point out however, that my parents have liked every woman I've ever dated. They loved my wife.

My parents disliked every guy my sister dated except my sister's husband. And every guy my sister dated turned out to be an asshole (and my sister whole heartedly agrees with that statement), except her husband.

My parents are (generally) pretty good judges of people's character.

• Of course. I don't care what they think, it's my life, not theirs. I don't understand why they even have to "approve" it, what is this, a car test?
    If they don't like her they don't have to see us anymore, I think my happiness should be their priority.

• If my parents believed that there was reason not to date someone, then I'd know that there's clearly something I'm missing as I can't really think of someone that they "wouldn't approve" of. There'd have to be a good reason for them to disapprove.

• Yes I would, I would simply try to make them see the best of the person I chose to date and hope they come around. Also my parents have told me on many occasions that my life is mine and I have to make decisions on my own, and make the decisions I feel are best, as long as they weren't illegal. But realistically, if my parents didn't approve of someone, I most likely wouldn't either, and obviously wouldn't date them to begin with, so I don't think I ever have to worry about this happening.

• Yep, it's my choice not theirs. In their ideal world she'd be a multimillionaire and speaks fluent Chinese of the main dialect.

• I know it looks silly since I am 37yo but I never asked anyone's opinion or permission about who I dated ever. I've always thought this was my prerogative.

• You want to live with someone the rest of your life. Most likely, your parents won't be around that long...

• Nope I would not, if my parents do not like someone it is usually for a very good reason, and our views are pretty similar if not the same and I care about their opinion and what they think.

• I would, luckily my parents aren't that intolerant.

P. S. I'm a black American guy with two black parents

• Of course, i mean its your decision, your gf/bf and you have the right to be together with the girl/guy that you like👌😄
    Although some parents have their reasons and you should hear what they have to say, it might be helpful sometimes 😜
    Hope this helped😄👌👍

• Yes,

1. I'm of legal age and can date whoever I want
    2. I am a free human being

• It's your heart its the stuff you arnt suppose to have that you want the most

• Just to spite them? Maybe XD

• Id date ten years younger and a month older.

• My parents are pretty open. They don't give a single manure.

• Yes , sure why not i like a challenge from parents... hahhaha

• My parents wouldn't disapprove of someone I'm dating unless something is VERY wrong.

• i would it's my private life got fuck all to do with anyone else

• My parents have no bearings on who I share my mind, body, and soul with.

• Definitely, because my parents are dead and don't have anything to say.

• My parents have no say in this.

• because i do what i want

• Nope I won't

• No;their happiness is important for me :)

• Sucks for my parents that i can make my own decisions and they can say what they want but i won't dump her cause they say so

And if they'd make me choose then i would go for becuase she didn't make me choose
    That's how i always solve stuff when someone makes me choose between x and them

• It's your life. you got to learn to make your own decisions

• Yep as I'm the one dating them not my parents, at least I hop neither one are dating the person I'm dating D:. If they loved me enough, they'll support my decision to date the person they don't approve of.

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 38

• probably not. my parents know me best and are incredibly open people. it would take a real stinker for them to actually be like 'i dont think he's good for you'.

like with my ex, my dad told me after he ended that he knew it wouldn't work out, but he didn't say anything because he wanted me to come to that decision on my own. because of things like that, i trust them with my life.

• yeah sort of already am.
    My parents (ie. mom) never said directly that they disapprove of my boyfriend, but the countless side comments about Chinese people, not having a religion, etc., make it perfectly clear how they feel. I usually just ignore it, though it does suck that I have to keep pretty quiet for the most-part about my boyfriend, even if it's something really really good, to avoid any huge conflict with my parents.

Why am I still with him despite their disapproval? Their reasoning is not valid. No, I don't have an issue with him being atheist. I personally don't identify with Catholicism so there's no actual religious conflict. None of his morals/values counter my own, so all he's really lacking is the title of associating with a religion. I couldn't care less that he's not white either. I'm actually way more into non-white guys and don't see why the colour of someone's skin should be a huge factor into whether or not I'm with them so long as their are no huge cultural issues.

• I have dated some guys who both my parents didn't approve of haha but that didn't bother me. I didn't know why though. Besides it was me dating the guy not them, but I figured out later then sooner why they didn't approve of some guys 😓 but it's ok lol

Current boyfriend sounds like he is approved by both my parents 🙊 which is a good thing

• i think it depends on the reason why they might be against it; lets say if my parents know that the person might not be the right "husband material" for me (if the person is known to deal with drugs or is a flirt and so on) then they are right to be against the relationship!!! BUT if its for some silly reasons like (different culture or beliefs) then it doesn't makes sense

• A couple of years ago, I wouldn't have listened to them but my parents in general have actually been right about it, I'd take their advice into account but that doesn't mean I wouldn't consider it at all in dating that person. It would lower their chances though.

However, I know certain people's parents can be too judgemental/too slack so I understand in people's decisions to not listen to their parents.

• Depends on the parent. My mom disapproves of people for random, irrational/judgmental reasons, so her disapproval isn't so serious. My dad *can* be judgmental, but he's significantly more rational and would probably have a very valid reason for disapproving of my partner. I probably wouldn't date someone my dad disapproves of.

• Definitely yes. My mum barely cares about my life and her opinion on who I'm gonna date is simply irrelevant to me.

• No, I don't think I would date him. My parents are really cool and very reasonable. If they don't like someone, they have a good reason to do so.

• Nope, because my parents are smart, genuine and reasonable people so if they didn't like the guy that would be a huge red flag for me that there is something there I'm apparently not seeing. Something bad.

• yes.. because i have to spend my time with him.. not my parents.. plus no guy is ever good enough to date their daughter.. haha.. so it is not guy's fault..

• Depends, if its something stupid then yes, but if they were like warning me he has a prison record, or is an abuser, or cursed them out when I wasn't in the room, then yeah, I'd probably listen to them.

• I'm pretty sure I will end up dating someone my parents don't approve. I'm attracted to guys of a certain group that my father doesn't like.
    Plus, I don't want them to interfere with my love life.

• Yes, for sure, because I'm not close with my parents, so their opinion would be irrelevant.

• Sure, screw their opinion. They have no right to tell me who I can or can't date. I have good taste so it's not like they would have a good reason anyway. xD But seriously, I know my mom would never stop me for dating someone, even if she didn't like him.

• Depends on their reason why

• Hell yeah, makes the relationship more interesting XD

• Yes I have on more the one Passion went against what my parents wanted. After all it was my opinion on him not theirs.

• Yes because I don't let my parents meet anyone anyway and the day I bring a guy home they allready know that its too serious for their opinion to matter.

• I don't have a relationship with my parents. So they have no influence at all on who I date or don't date.

• My parents are really open people. They know what I like and need in a guy and are generally okay with anyone I choose. It would take a really terrible guy for them to blantly tell. But even then they wouldn't "disapprove" because it's my choice.

• Nahh , there would be no point.

• There really must be something wrong if MY parents don't like him so no I would not. 😆

• It's my life and are many decisions. i'd take into consideration of their advice but at the end of the day Ima do what I wanna do

• it's not about what my parents want it's about what I want when it comes to the person i'll be committing the rest of my life with.

• No I value what my parents think

• It should be someone that I like, not that my parents like but... Yeah, definitely I will date him even if they don't want him.

• Not if I was still living under their roof.

• My parents only approve of terrible men so

• I did, took the risk. It was too.. Suffocating..

• Yes because I don't want to be single for the rest of my life D:

• More from Girls
    8