Why would he say something like this?

A guy friend of mine recently ran into a girl who has had a crush on him for the past 2 years. He hadn't seen in her in while, but ran into her in public. I have seen the girl once (she dropped by where we me and my guy friend used to work). He told me that the girl told him that she is always so nervous around him. She commented how he has changed. He replied that he used to be shy but is more outgoing now. He felt obliged to invite her to his going-away party (he is leaving for Europe for one year). He felt obliged to invite her because she asked if he was having a going-away party (he didn't want to lie. So decided to invite him). Lately she has been texting him, and he responds back because he feels "bad" if he doesn't. He told me that he doesn't like her. And isn't sure what to do. Meaning how to let her know he is not interested. He jokingly said, "I should just tell her I have a girlfriend then she'll get the message. I mean, she has a boyfriend, I don't see why she is flirting with me". I laughed and said, "geez wouldn't that be hilarious". He says, "yeah during the going-away party I should just say that me and you are going out". Why would he say something like this? Why would he choose to name me? Why not anyone else?

Most Helpful Girl

• He said it because he obviously feels comfortable with you. Think about it, you're out somewhere with a close guy friend and a guy hits on you making you feel uncomfortable so you try to avoid hurting his feelings the best way possible. Wouldn't you rather tell him that you have a boyfriend and to make the story seem more legit say its your good guy friend you're with? That'll get him to back away. That's what your friend is doing. It doesn't mean that he likes you, even though he could, but just that he's comfortable around you and sees you as a good friend to help him out.

What Guys Said 1

• He said that because he's comfortable with you, close with you(Possible Closest female friend). He could b liking you and used this chance to tell you.

What Girls Said 1

• Don't read too much into it. He probably just said it because you were the one he was talking to about the situation. He, most likely, would've said the same thing to anyone he was telling the story to (unless it was a guy). If he wants to get her off his back, any girl will do to pretend she's his girlfriend, you just happened to be there.