Why do so many people want a relationship?

Based on what I've seen, it's a giant waste of time to date. It's pretty pathetic people go so out of their way just so they can get laid every once in a while, it's sad.

Most Helpful Girl

• For a lot of people, they are drawn in by the warm, comforting, cozy allure of companionship. A relationship is basically companionship heightened on an entirely different wavelength. Plus there are privileges and advantages that can only be completely experienced in a relationship. Add onto that the fact that romance and relationships are glorified and marketed very well all over the place: movies, music, commercials, print advertisements and billboards, music videos, even in the class room when you learn about Romeo & Juliet.

I wouldn't say that dating is a giant waste of time or that people are pathetic for trying to gain that type of experience. You seem like you're looking down on them?

• I am looking down on them because I have to put up with their shit. ("Oh no! Ryan hasn't texted me for 2 days, what's wrong with him! What did I do!!")

• @Asker Actually, the beauty in being an adult is that you don't have to put up with anyone's shit :) If you don't want to hear about that, then vocalize it. Although, you may come off as an unempathetic, careless jerk :/ Just sayin. I don't really know the situation though? If you explain more, I can be of more help

Most Helpful Guy

• Because unlike you, many don't have enough experience to be able to come to that conclusion. I myself do indeed want a relationship and there isn't really anything anyone could say to deter me from that.

Don't expect every one to have the same world views you do.

• Maybe I just see the world a little better than you do.

• I don't want to handle bullshit and arrogance but whatever.

• Oh cmon, all we're doing is having a discussion.

What Girls Said 3

• Not everybody who gets into a relationship does so for the sole sake of having sex, most people do it for companionship. It's one of those "to each their own" scenarios. By all means you can feel how you want, but I don't find companionship in anyway "pathetic."

• It is pathetic. I've seen so many people get their feelings hurt and shit just because their relationship doesn't work out... and it all stems from having sex... why not just hire a hooker if you wanna get off every once in a while.

• I wouldn't say that. I've had multiple relationships and all of them never included sex. It sounds to me that you're over estimating your own opinion and trying to apply it to something that is completely a matter of preference and perception to other people. That, or you're just a very bitter guy who can't keep a relationship yourself.

• Being in the relationship is the norm in our society. Most single people, even many wants to enjoy their single days want a relationship in the end even if it happens in their thirties or forties.
    Just the fact that it happens so much, you should be able to at least understand why some people want that even if you don't

• Perhaps what you're missing is that people who are looking for a relationship are NOT just trying to get laid every once in a while.
    My boyfriend lives in another state, so I'm pretty confident I could get laid more often if I dumped him and just picked someone up at a bar each night on my way home from work. But that wouldn't get me a friend who shares my interests and sense of humor. That wouldn't get me someone who has my back when I need help. That might not get me someone who cares if the sex is good for me, and almost certainly wouldn't get someone who knows my body better and better. That wouldn't get me someone who will challenge my thinking, hang out with my friends, or love me for me.
    So if dating doesn't work for you, stop, and who cares what motivates people like me?

• I care because I have to put up with everyone else's relationship crap all the time so I deserve answers. Even my boss at work always complains about how her boyfriend doesn't appreciate her enough, I already have to hear my friends complain about their boyfriends/girlfriends shit.

• If you're getting forced into conversations you don't want, you'd be better off taking some assertiveness training so you can learn to excuse yourself from those. And if you don't like hearing about people's relationship and sex lives, you might want to duck out of GAG - seems to be the favorite topic of conversation here.

What Guys Said 4

• As sad and as giant a waste of time as making an account on GaG (your join date is today) to post trollish crap like this?

• Sex, social status, and insecurity.

• Majority of times guys do not want to be in a relationship while women do, but women want to get physical sometimes only when they're in a relationship and guys really crave that. But it's not necessarily true...

• That's pretty pathetic. What's wrong with just masturbating.

• I don't crave sex.

• okay you might be an exception then...