Why are girls never interested in me, but always surprised to find out I am single?

I have been single for my whole life, and never had a girlfriend. I find that girls usually assume I have a girlfriend, just because of who I am and how I look, which I dont know how to feel about. Sometimes I take it as a compliment that I would be a good boyfriend, and I should have a girlfriend, but other times it doesn't make sense because I have never had a girlfriend and I might be losing out on opportunities because women assume I have a girlfriend. All my life I have had women tell me how attractive/hot/good looking I am, whether it was my friends moms (in non creepy ways) or girls at school, they all said I was so good looking. I am a nice guy, who doesn't drink, smoke, party, or sleep around, its just not something I do with my life, so nice girls and parents in particular always look at me as the "ideal" guy for them or their child (and I had a couple moms tell me they would be ecstatic if their daughter brought home a guy like me), but the girls my age who say this stuff usually dont show interest in going out with me. I have had at least 2 girls that I can think of tell me that they want to date someone like me (personality wise), but they made it clear that it was someone "like" me, not me, which confused me even more, considering I probably act like myself the best so why wouldn't they just want to date me, but thats besides the point. The point is that lots of girls assume I have a girlfriend, a lot of them tell me I should have a really awesome and beautiful girlfriend, but none of those telling me that are actually interested in being my girlfriend. Most people I know including my friends and family, think I should have higher standards, but even with my low standards I can't find a girl to go out with me. All the girls that compliment me, and assume I have some hot girlfriend are never even interested in me, Why?

What Girls Said 1

• They must be insane because you're my type ;) I think people are intimidated by you. You seem mature and definitely the kind of guy that wants a serious relationship. Maybe you need to let go a bit and show girls you're not too serious.

Best of Luck :)

What Guys Said 2

• You're probably too good looking, so the girls are intimidated to date you. Or they may be feeling insecure.

• in my experience, I've noticed. girls want a guy who is wanted