What is a good age to start dating?

• 12 or younger
  • 13
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18/18+

Most Helpful Girl

• As someone who decided she could date at the ripe old age of 14...16 is a good age to start dating. 18 is even better. You can't do anything under 16. Where are you going to go? How are you going to get there? You cannot have a job so your parents will pay for your date. You cannot drive so your parents will drive you on your date. How embarrassing is that? VERY.

At 16 you can drive and work. Yay. But you have no money and you can't get in anywhere super cool. And you have to abide by the state restrictions on driving hours. At 18 you're an adult and you can do whatever the heck you want when, where, and with whomever you want.

What Girls Said 2

• 17 is a great age to start dating. Talking to a guy is nice when you're 16. I just wouldn't want my children to do too much or get too invested too young.

I'm actually happy my mom made me wait until I was 16 to start hanging out with guys alone. I do wish that I was allowed to have group outings at a younger age though. It would have made it easier to talk to guys.

• Dating before 16 would do more harm than good. You're not likely to find a life partner so young, because you are still trying to find yourself in middle school. I would say wait until the middle of high school after you have adjusted to try to date. At the same time, remember that you could be headed in different directions after high school.

What Guys Said 4

• It depends on the individual, there is no "magic" age.

My aunt and uncle started dating at 13 years old. To this day, they are in their 50's and married. Meanwhile, I know people who didn't date until their early 20's and their dating life has been disastrous ever since.

I would say for MOST people, 16-18 is a good age range to begin dating but as long as the person has hit puberty, I couldn't vote and I can't pinpoint an age here.

• I started at 14. I thought I was old enough. Even in hindsight I think I was old enough. But I voted 16 anyway. 14 just seems really young even though I did it. Maybe that's hypocritical, but it's just how I feel.

• For fun, I'd say start now to get some experience, but for something serious at 18 or something

• Start when you like, but remember dating doesn't have to include sex.