Guys: What does it mean if a guy says that I have to pay for myself on a date?

I'm not expecting a free meal or anything like that. I'm just wondering if it's a nice way of saying that I don't take you very serious. So a friend of mine, who's always had a thing for me asked me out on a date. He mentioned going to a bar or a lounge. I told him that I don't drink, I suggested we see a movie instead. We've texted back and forth until he finally told me that I would have to pay for my own movie ticket. I was expecting to pay regardless of what he said, I'm just feeling a bit jaded about the fact that he said it in such a way. Does it mean that he takes me less serious? He did mention money issues.

Most Helpful Guy

• Did he use the word date and go out specifically, because it sounds like he was asking to hangout as friends and wanted to be sure you knew. If he mentioned money issues and you are sure its a date then he just wanted to make sure you were not expecting him to pay. He probably was not thinking about his wording and didn't mean anything by it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Are you certain he is interested in you in a romantic way?

What Guys Said 2

• Uhh, that's a tough one. I'd say maybe he doesn't want to go out with you, perhaps just a friendly meal?

Or he's a greedy asshole, that could also be it. Most of my friends are like that. Hence why people like that can't keep a girlfriend.

• Lol at the last sentence.

• Unless the guy is just a dick he's probably broke. And he really wants to go with you but can't afford it.

What Girls Said 0