Would you agree to marry a guy or girl with a lot of great credentials if you never met them before?

Say your parents know a great person who they want you to marry (in a semi arranged marriage format). Before describing them there are a couple things that you can assume:
This person will never leave you, or cheat, they are incredibly loyal.
You dont meet this person until 1 week before the wedding
You must agree to marry them just based on their credentials, you have to make the decision before you meet them.

For girls:
He is tall, very handsome, he has a successful business (, you know he doesn't drink, do drugs, gamble, or sleep around with women, you know he is very loyal, he is a smart guy and family oriented.

For guys:
She is a very beautiful woman, who is a successful author, and you hear she has a loyal, caring nature, also very family oriented and fairly intelligent.

Based on the descriptions, and knowing they will be loyal would you agree to be set up with a person like this?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• Right away... "handsome"? According to who? Someone's parents? Right there is a big red flag because never in my life did my mom or dad suggest I date someone that they had known, whether it was a young guy at the office where my mom worked or a son of a friend of my dad's -- every single guy that my parents thought would be good for me, was only a good son-in-law for THEM.

Bottom line: chemistry. If I didn't get a chance to meet them and committed to marrying them based on superficial reasons then I would be pissed off on the day of the wedding knowing I am probably making a life mistake.

I like to try on the shoes before buying them, so to speak.

I like to see how we interact, and if I find his personality and look agreeable to my standards. And I don't even mean good looking, because all my friends know that I tend to have a very different taste in men compared to other women. The point is, *I* have to find him appealing, not my mom and dad. I also want to know how much we do or don't have in common. I want to have sex, as I think a lot of the va-va-voom part of all relationships is about how you actually *want* each other. If you don't have that or get to experience it, then that's a huge problem, and one that usually leads people to stray against their spouse looking for something better.

So, no, I would not want to be set up like this. I'm with the overwhelming majority that I like to pick my own partner and make up my own mind about what I'm going to like for the rest of my life.

Most Helpful Guy

• From what I know of marriage, you marry someone because you want to spend your entire life with that person. Love isn't about perks.

What Girls Said 6

• I might agree to go on a date with them, but I wouldn't marry someone that I had never met before. That's just foolish.

• We do this thing called Istikhara, if it is positive, then I will meet up BUT if I don't feel that subconscious "connection" (I hope that's the right word) then I don't know if I will say yes.

• Is he boring, bossy, too serious, annoying, not funny, a liberal... too many factors at play.

• I was going to say the same things, only mine were descriptions like bad breath, annoying laugh, nervous tic, weird stare, long/dirty fingernails, funny walk, grinds their teeth, along with your examples... even MORE factors at play. LOL!

• Those are all crucial too! @ozanne

• Absolutely not.

Also your examples for girls and for guys do not necessarily match the preferences of everyone. I don't find tallness particularly attractive. On the contrary.

• No. I want to meet that person, not believe what others say. I don't want a boring, liberal, only business-oriented, childish person. That's too much. I want to meet the person first.

• Sounds more like applying for job not marriage

What Guys Said 1

• I suppose. I haven't been on a date since the beginning of the year, so we could try it out - if we don't click we can just get divorced, it's not like I have any wealth to lose half of.

• Only someone incredibly desperate would vote A.