Why are there women who ask guys out on a date?

Back in my day, this was a sign of desperation. I know it doesn't happen a whole lot but it happens a lot more than it ever has (women asking guys out.)

Most Helpful Guy

• I never did understand the reason for gender roles in the first place.

Why should gender determine who asks who out or who pays for dates? It's no big deal. I don't see how it automatically makes you "desperate" either. As I stated below, most people don't understand the vocabulary they use.

I like the idea of a woman asking guys out, since most girls find it "creepy" when a guy approaches them anyway.

• Its like this because a women can get pregnant with only one man's child at a time while girls can easily mate with multiple women, so the guys get to compete for women. It happens across species.

I am still curious in which circumstances girls ask boys out, maybe I am wrong but maybe these girls that ask boys out are past their best reproduction age ( 20-25 years old ), realize that they are not such a a high commodity anymore and are more willing to date instead of being picky.

What Girls Said 7

• Because it's 2015 and we want equality, so that means stepping up to the plate when it comes to dating. I even want to pay for dates and take my guy out! GASP, THE HORROR!!! If you see that as desperation, that's on you. There's nothing desperate about it, but maybe you could explain why you think that it is.

• Because women are no longer considered to be too stupid to know what they want.

• Women became braver while men became more scared. Evolution. Someone has to pick up the slack.

• You're gonna get some hate for this one

• 'Cause some guys are shy/ hesitant and we get impatient waiting for him to get around to it. 'Cause some of us just think the double-standard is silly. 'Cause sometimes you meet a great guy and just don't want to regret not trying.

• Because time changes things

• I am quite old fashioned in that sense. No matter how much i liked a guy i would never ask him on a date. It isn't in my nature to be that forward.

What Guys Said 14

• "I know it doesn't happen a whole lot"

It happens MUCH more than you think.

As early in time as the 80's, Women typically stayed home, cooked and cleaned and had babies while men went out and worked. Times have changed. in my opinion, It;s absurd to think that a Woman asking a man out on a date is anything remotely close to "desperate" Men and Women are equals. Although we generally have different roles in relationships, we are still equal. I have been asked out by dozens of Women in my life and not once have I ever looked at any of these Women as "desperate". If anything, it's a sign of confidence. I have incredible respect for any Women who knows what they want and aren't afraid to go get it.

• well its 2015, times are a changin'.

• One number...2015.
    And what I can add is men and women are equals so they should do equal things.
    There is nothing wrong with asked for a date.

Some like to say desperate. I say it's a woman that knows what she wants, is not afraid to go after it and yes... that is definitely a woman I wanna find out more about her because I like what I have seen so far.

• Mainly because our generation is more inclined towards equality and it's changing the perspective of how women can be just as able, which they always were.

I personally think it's great, if a woman likes someone, she'll invite them somewhere or make the move. Gives both side a chance to really interact more often

• Because many guys lack the confidence to do it these days.

• You don't need "confidence" to ask a girl out. Confidence is how you feel about a particular thing. You can ask someone out on a date with no confidence at all and you can refuse to ask someone out, with all the self-esteem and confidence in the world.

Most people don't understand the vocabulary they use on a daily basis.

• @CincinnatiRedsfan Of course a confident person can, and indeed will, refuse to ask out many people. But, it doesn't change the fact that one needs confidence in order to ask out anyone.

• How is that desperate? They go for what they want and see if they can get it or not. I guess that makes all the men who approach desperate too. According to your logic.

• Cause equality we don't judge women for doing something a man can

• its simple as this
    Why not?

• Mores have changed dude.

• Because some guys are that retarded they have to be pushed

• In places other than where you grew up, it is common for women to ask men out.

• Maybe because guys actually like it. I don't see how that is desperation when guys do it all the time. Are you saying we're desperate? Because I'm not.

• Exactly. I don't see why it's desperate for women to ask men out, but not the other way around.

• Nice question. Tbh, i don't mind women asking men out and it has happened to me now on four occasions as of last year. I think its nice that women are able to express their feelings just like us guys.

However i rejected all of them, why? I have no idea. Something in my brain just said no. I was brought up in a traditional household and maybe it had some influence over my decisions. Something inside me still wants to chase a girl and win her heart, i have no idea why, its just me.

I think equality is super and have no argument against it, just for me personally i want to ask out a girl. Having said that, i really do hate current dating,

i'm actually tired of it and don't even want to be in a relationship anymore, something has just put me off the whole thing.

• Actually i have had two girls compete for me while i just sat back and watched the whole thing unfold. In the end i still don't like equality when it comes to relationships. I always do the chasing

• It's a natural outgrowth of equality and the sexual revolution. Attractive men are discovering they don't have to make an effort to get all the women they want and women are discovering if they sit and wait for a guy they aren't going to get the most desirable guys no matter how good looking they are. The competition is now more between women going after guys.