Do opposites really attract?

there's this boy I'm interested in, and he might be interested in me. he seems like a nice guy, but from what I know of him, we're very different. I've never really talked to him, but I know him through mutual friends. we follow each other on Twitter, and his account is full of things about country music, hunting, America, and trucks. this is fine with me, but I'm quite different... my life is all alternative/rock music, nature, art, and classic muscle cars. also, he seems to be a very conservative Christian, whereas I'm more liberal. I believe in God, but I don't agree with everything in the Bible. I'm also interested in the psychic realm, astrology, and mystic things of that sort.

although he seems like a nice guy and there could be something between us in the future, I can't help but think that our differences would make things weird. I couldn't be with a guy who'd shoot a deer, when I feel sad seeing a dead bug.. I know they say opposites attract, but...

Most Helpful Guy

• "Opposites attract" is a silly statement. Your values are quite different from his. It could work but it seems unlikely. I'm very liberal and not religious and I would never date a conservative Christian woman. If you can't date a hunter then you should not date this guy.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, opposites will often attract. For some it doesn't. I personally don't care for extreme opposite. I like it when I can get along with someone and share a lot of common qualities and interests. It just... I don't know, makes it more fun for me and it is comfortable.
    I feel like opposites for me will only be a huge pain in my ass. There would be nothing to do with them. I'd want to go to Disneyland and they'd be like noooo lego land and I'll be like what the fuck is wrong with you.
    Just no.

What Guys Said 5

• Sorta but not too much.
    Just enough commonality so we can have something to work with but enough difference so that there's sparks flying :3
    God knows agreeing on everything gets ungodly boring lol

• I think it's an oversimplification. People usually form relationships with people who are interesting, which is usually not someone who's exactly like them or the exact opposite.

• Well if they didn't my parents wouldn't be together lol, that being said I like to have some similar interests and hobbies, it allows me to be more comfortable around whoever it is I am with, but some diversity and opposite traits are also nice.

• Quite often they really do

• its funny, I once had a girlfriend that liked everything you mentioned the guy like liked. we were like night and day, we tried to make it work, but we were like night and day. so we didn't last.

What Girls Said 1

• I'm sure it does for some people
    but i prefer common interests

If we have nothing in common I'm like
    WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO WITH YOU

Dunno.. That might just be me. lol