Are all races equal on the dating scene?

Suppose a representative from each race were equal in terms of non-physical traits (e. g. personality, education, occupation etc.), are all races equal on the dating front?

Most Helpful Girl

• they should be to anyone with an open mind and heart.

• and how many people have that?

• It's not about having an open mind and heart. Some people just aren't attracted to certain races. Like girls generally in Western countries aren't attracted to South and East Asian men. It's something people can't help.

• attraction involves an open mind and heart... how can u be attracted to someone if you've already told yourself in your mind that you won't date australian girls for example? that's a closed mind...
      this is my opinion. @myusernamerules

Most Helpful Guy

• Fuck no. Do you know it's like almost impossible to land a date if you're an Indian guy in a Western country. Like barely any girl finds you attractive. You have to be really attractive, tall, or rich to stand out.

• That's shocking. I like to think I'm pretty unbiased, but I find men from the Indian subcontinent to be the most beautiful people in the world!

• @oldlady, what about in your younger days? And do you mean physically "beautiful" (as opposed to handsome) or personality wise?

• When I was younger I hadn't given much thought to the racial background of the boys I found attractive, until my mom accused me of being biased toward white boys 'cause I'd dated more of them (I attributed it to living in a town that was 3/4 white and a little less than 3/4 of my boyfriends had been white). I've never lived any place with a large Indian or Pakistani or... population, but y'know, one friend in middle school, and a few people in college, a professor and a roommate and a bunch of classmates in grad school. The roommate watched Bollywood all the time, and of course those stars were all stunners. I see news stories about the region and of course the wounded and sickly and hungry have beaten up bodies that aren't so appealing, but all the men I've met in real life have been drop dead gorgeous.

What Girls Said 5

• Christian Rudder's research about who people contact and answer and go out with on OKCupid suggests there are still strong racial biases - the usual crap - in dating just as in the rest of life.
    http://oktrends.okcupid.com/

• yeah.. i think so..

• No because everyone is not obligated to be attracted to all races.

• Definitely no! But not complaining as an East Asian :)

• If you date somebody from your different race, look dor their personalities if they are nice or good people. Don't look for their phsical traits.

What Guys Said 10

• No they would not be equal and the reason why is because..

1) Whether we believe it or not, ethnicity is a big part in physical attraction. Some people are simply not attracted to others of another ethnicity due to a lack of a desired feature. If a women likes men with blonde hair, then she's going to automatically prefer white men. If she desire men with a darker complexion then she's going to gravitate to Latin and Black men.

2) Even though they have equal non-physical traits, they are not entirely equal in how they are represented in the media and the media plays a big role in how we view others who are different from us. Black men, black women, and Asian men are portrayed horribly for the most part in Western media. White women, white men, and Latinas are portrayed more favorably. This bias in media portrayal easily influence people to subconsciously be bias in their dating preference.

• It has been proven otherwise.

blog.okcupid.com/.../

• No. There is no such thing as fair, and there is no such thing as true equality.

• 0|0
    • You'd be surprised. I've seen young, highly educated modern Asian girls going for white men who look exactly like that and don't have a respectable job or qualifications.

• No, ofcourse not. There are some races i'm attracted and some i'm not attracted to.

• Yes of course they are

• Depends about the other person. I know i am open to any.

• yes.. but get over people of x race not liking you.

• For me it would depend how they looked. Not skin color but facial structure. I've seen beautiful African women for example but they are less common than beautiful European or Asian women. I've never even seen a picture of a Melanesian or Aborigine I thought was beautiful. It's all what you are used to I suppose.

• Yes if the people dating them are from each race.

• That's not true in some cases. Certain women are very picky when it comes to men of their race. Like South Asian women because many just go for the richest they can get due to their parents wanting them to go for them or them not dating at all and just waiting to get married. Also East Asian women since the majority of them prefer white men rather than the men of their own race.

• I assumed he wasn't talking about monetary stuff. Just personality and race. Of course if there's two Asian men with the same personality the girls would probably rather have the one making more money. I also didn't say they had to go for their own race. I was just saying that so long there's people of every race to pick from. I didn't limit it to same race dating.