Do I need to tell him about my Bipolar?

I have bipolar 2, and although it really ruined about 4 years of my life I am completely on track and have a great combination of four medications I take that keep me completely stable. I've been stable maybe 6mths. Now I have started dating this guy I know (we know lots of people in common). Do I need to tell him? can I wait? I know there is a stigma and I just feel that it would be unfair to lose someone over something that has robbed me of so much already, considering I am incredibly pro-active about keeping it under control.

Most Helpful Guy

• I know I'd want to know.
    I've wasted a decades as caretaker for girlfriends with mental disorders - something I have no intention of repeating ever again.

Most Helpful Girl

• I also have Bipolar and would not recommended sharing it with someone so soon. You can share if you are in a serious relationship but don't say it to a guy you are just dating or don't know well. It is too easy to scare people off and when it doesn't work out you night feel bad for sharing something so personal with someone you weren't even serious with.

• Thanks, yeah I don't want him to get scared off and then also I don't think he'd tell people but we know so many people in common and its not public knowledge- I hate the idea of telling someone and then having to say "look please don't tell people, like maybe one close friend fine, but no more than that"

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 4

• It's a part of you and your life, so if a guy can't handle that... it's best to find out sooner rather than later. Just be honest with him... let him know it shouldn't be an issue but it could be at some point.

• YES!! I told my boyfriend about my depression.. definitely helpful in some situations. He should know, so if anything ever happens he fully understands

• You don't " need" to tell him , but when you think the time is right then it would be " best" to tell him. In time he will discover it for himself. A guy who loves you... will love you unconditionally, not when the conditions are right for him.

Someone who wants to be part of your life with still be their after seeing you at your worst. Love is measured by the bad times, not the good.

• If I was the guy, I'd want to know soon so that I could figure out early on in the relationship if its something I'm ok with dealing with and if not I could move on. From your perspective, it would probably make more sense to wait, because the more you two bond, the longer you stay together, the more likely he will be ok with you having bipolar 2 and stay with you if you tell him.