Why is he dating me?

My boyfriend said he fell in love with me at first sight, and loves and adores me to this day. The other day we were talking and he said that he doesn't see us getting married.. I'm not understanding why he's dating me. He doesn't wanna talk about it anymore and he says he didn't mean it like that. I mean.. if we're still together in 2-3 years, I kinda expect it to turn into a marriage. He also said I'm all he wants in a woman and I'd make a great wife. What did he mean? Why would he date a girl he doesn't see marrying? Isn't that the point of dating.. to find a wife? I'm just confused and he doesn't want to talk about it anymore.. should I just drop it and move on?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you should talk to him about this. Sounds to me like he is confused himself.

He said you couldn't see himself marrying you, but that you would make a great wife. That to me sounds like he isn't planning on marrying you, maybe didn't want to say it but it slipped and then tried to save himself by trying to pass you a compliment?

That's really all I can think of. But maybe he's just not ready for marriage yet?

Either way, I think you need clarification. It's okay to have this conversation with him. He should be clear when he says stuff like that.

Sometimes people date people because they like them. Even if they don't see a e with the person. But if this is not the kind of relationship you want, then you need to tell him.

Perhaps he's not sure he is ready to marry now, but might be ok with it in 2-3 years?

• I hope we wouldn't get married now. I get super sad when I see wedding stuff now.. I don't wanna get married until after I graduate college.. I mean, if we stay together for a few years.. I feel like that is a good sign of marriage.. I think I'll just try to ignore it and just be happy and in love.

• You should only get married when you feel ready. And if you feel like it would be better for you to get married after you graduate, then tell him that. It's not like you two HAVE to get married right now. Besides, if it's meant to be then you two will stay together through that time.

Plus it would give you time and money to plan the wedding you really want :) If you rush it now, you will have to compromise on a bunch of stuff and be super stressed out!

• Thank you!

What Guys Said 1

• 21-22 is far too young to get married, just a heads up.

If you seriously considering a career, you don't want to get married at that age... it can jeapordise it.

No, the point of dating isn't getting married... that tells me you know very little of dating/relationships. It's about having fun and discovering a person and yourself even more.

I reckon you're scaring him off.

• He said "I love you" first.. he fell for me first.. it's not something we talk about a lot.. but occasionally we'll joke about kids and our future.. I wanna be done with college before I get married... we're 2 years apart.. but I don't know.. I don't think he meant it the way I took it..

What Girls Said 0