How to tell my parents I'm dating an older guy?

so my boyfriend is 41 and im 18 everyone thinks he is using me but he really loves me and i love him. He treats me like a lady unlike my last boyfriend who abused me. my parents dont know yet how should i tell them cause i know they are gonna freak.

Most Helpful Guy

• How do you know you guys won't break up? How do you know he isn't using you and that it all a facade? You are blinded severely by love and aren't thinking straight.

• she wants to believe. what she can't see is that there are no good endings if she goes down this road... good intentions or not.

• @kiler1000 bye felicia

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't want you to take this the wrong way but this is wrong. This is not appropriate behavior for a man of 41. Years old. Of course they'll freak he's old enough to be your father. There is no way if telling them. But I am afraid for your safety. A man his age should know better. You (not trying to be rude or insulting) are a baby yourself. I am not much older than you. And I understand that you had a rough relationship before. But that is not acceptable. And he is taking advantage of you. Not physically but a man his age should be capable to find someone his own age. Not a young girl as yourself. You still don't know yourself. I still have a lot to learn about myself and I'm 22. Please take into consideration. And please don't be offended.

• if he was taking advantage of me he would want sex all the time he wouldn't be a gentlemen like opening doors for me we are both firefighters that how we met instant attraction

• we have plenty of stuff in common firefighting backpacking same favorite food and drinks same tv shows i could go on and on

• Well I do hope it is what you say it is. I don't want you to think I'm wishing the worst for you. But to just be aware of things and to protect yourself in all aspects. Many young women are taken advantage of in multiple ways. But I would not tell your parents right away. I would wait to see where it goes. But I read your previous convos but please don't get far ahead of yourself. And dont think forward to the future. Thats how people end up hurting themselves emotionally. Just enjoy today. As long as there are people like friends who know your dating and you are safe.

What Guys Said 1

• oh, you don't tell your parents.. that's a really really bad idea

• but we aren't gonna break up so...

• what if we get married when I'm out of college we want to live together

• haha, dude you're 18.. relax and stop stressing about the future for now. Just enjoy your life. I strongly suggest holding off on telling your parents. give it a few years, if you're still set on marriage with this guy by then, by all means tell your parents. Don't rush into the parents thing.

What Girls Said 2

• I would hold off on telling them! Because you want to make sure you guys are serious, I remember I didn't tell my mum I was dating someone till two years after, however I wouldn't wait that long now. But I suggest you wait, they're not going to take it in any positive way, and will encourage you to break up with him. All though I do wonder why he can't be with someone around his own age, I understand age is just a number but I mean everyone has their own age line to be drawn. Best of luck x

• Consider the opinions of the people who love you. Often times they see things that you are blind to. Have you asked yourself why a man his age would want to be with someone so much younger?