If you really like the person you're dating do you compliment them?

I've dated men in the past that would consciously avoid giving compliments so as not to have you thinking you are too good for them. If they thought you were pretty this is the last thing they would tell you. Obviously these are not men one should want to be dating as a relationship is supposed to build you up not down.

I don't need constant compliments but I do make an effort to let the person I know what I like about them. And if I notice something cute or good about them I tell them.

If a man really likes you will he pay you compliments and think things you do are cute? I feel like in the beginning of a relationship if you are a good fit even the slightly annoying parts of their personality are cute because it is what gives them character. If you are infatuated you can't help but notice things and mention what you like.

It just seems so rare that I meet a guy who I have real connection with who likes me for that right reasons. I feel like I don't know what that looks like or feel like anymore. 😕

Most Helpful Guy

• I complimen my wife often , I enjoy how it brightens her day. She appreciates the fact that I notice these things about her. It's a win , win

Most Helpful Girl

• I think if a guy really likes you then he will compliment you. I've been with a guy who never once complimented me and he did like me, but just didn't like me that much. I've also been with a guy who complimented me all of the time and we ended up in a relationship together so ya I'd believe if a guy really likes you then he will compliment you.

• Yeah it's the not that much factor that has me frustrated. I've had a string of these this year. I've done my best to let down the walls and let my heart shine. The last guy I dated was just really jaded so it's taken a bit out of me.

I know compliments don't mean sincere interest, players love to hand them out. But noticing small things you do like crinkling your nose when you laugh usually is. I'm just ready for that, I finally have an open heart but it gets met by so many closed doors.

• Asker, I believe I know why SOME of those guys don't compliment you. A lot of guys I know and have talked to are very against feeding a woman's ego. They think if they were to do things like compliment you, that it would go to your head and you'll become that conceited girl that those same guys do not care for.

What Guys Said 15

• I do and would but not too much. Desire is like currency, you got to invest, check stocks, raise the bar, meet halfway, having meetings discuss, plan for the following week and then keep doing the same but more of it... if that makes sense.

• Of course I give her compliments! I don't invade her with them them because as you said, with that I would give a sense underestimation and that she is way above me but there is a good balance in everything, so is in this.
    Giving compliments that come naturally, that I really notice and like about her is just the right way to do it like 'you look wonderful tonight' or 'I like your nails'. She'll appreciate a good mannered compliment because she made an effort to look her best On the other hand, which girl doesn't like to hear those fancy words that make her melt? None :)

• Absolutely.
    I want to make them feel good. I want them to know that in this room full of people, they are the only ones I've got my eyes on. No better way to do that than with a mix of compliments and eye contact.

• I always give my girlfriend compliments, she is a smart, kind, beautiful woman, why would I not tell her!

In a world full of insecure people... why would you not tell the one you love, how great they are!

• Even though I haven't dated anyone for a while, I still give out compliments to people left and right, mostly about their clothing. Other times I compliment their hairstyle/hair color and other times, after speaking to the individual a bit, I compliment their tastes and personalities.

In other words, i try and be as nice as possible to people whom I find interesting.

• I don't. Its funny, I help all my friends and compliment everyone all the time, except girls I like. I learnt the devastating way how compliments, being vulnerable blah blah is a jet pack to the friendshipzone. or seen as needy/supplication behavior. Never again. You women write these rules, not men. Then us men get the whole "us women learn to treat good men well when we are older" crap. Seriously? any logical man would have learnt the rules of the game by 30 or older and not play by idealistic Disney shit.

• Of course! If I like the person, why wouldn't I want to make them feel good?

• you physically compliment them daily

• Probably the way she dress if its modesty and her hair if ahe does it. Or dat glasses make ma heart melt Dx

• i only rarely compliment them. because that seems to have the effect that girls think i just want to get in their pants...

• You shouldn't assume what women think. Be secure enough to compliment freely.

• well i´m not :D so it´s probably better i don´t do it anyway.

• Well that kind of goes without saying lol.

• Have to ration your compliments too many and they will spoil. So when you're really looking amazing you'd think it's the same as when we said it when you walked around without make up all day

• I see compliments as a bridge to build more tension with a girl that already seems into me, normal right.
    Some people get complimented when they seem to have a hard time feeling good with their appearance. Something that sounds nice to do but if you think about it its not a good gesture

• yes. i would

• I give compliments, I wouldn't be worried my partner would leave. If I was dating the type of person that would leave me after I gave them an ego boost I'm better off with someone else anyhow.

What Girls Said 11

• In my opinion I would think giving a girl a compliment would be the natural thing to do unless they're a bit shy or something..

• I've always complemented the people I've dated and been in relationships with. My husband I gush over all the time. He knows how gorgeous I think he is. Perfect. To me.
    But I also complement people all the time. Even ones I don't know. Yeah... Sometimes I cause some awkward moments. Lol
    My husband also has always complemented me. On a daily basis I get called beautiful instead of baby or some other endearment. He also tells me how good I look when he knows I've dressed up extra for him.

• I would. I compliment everyone I like whether romantically or platonically. If I really like them, then I'd definitely compliment them. I would hope that the guy I was dating would compliment me too. I mean, compliments are not the only way to know that he likes me. His actions would be a good indication of how much he cares. Verbal confirmation helps a lot.

• I guess I would

• Of course I will give my man compliments. It's my job as a girlfriend to BE a good girlfriend.

• I think complements should always be given. To both people

• Of course I do

• ALWAYS
    This can be cyclical but also a result from shopping in low places.
    Have fun shopping in better venues by taking some ballroom dance classes which range from salsa to tango. This will open a lot of socials to you with better shopping while having the time of your life. Complements will increase the longer you continue.

• i compliment them!

• I compliment to strangers all the time if I see a dress that looks lovely on a lady I'll compliment the dress. Or a guy in really nice shoes I'll compliment it. It's the small simple words I find that make people happy. All the relationships I've been in they give me compliments or advice. You look cute in that shirt today or whooa, is there something going on today? You look extra fancy. Or even that bag doesn't go with the outfit. I prefer people that are more honest and direct?

• I find that in the beginning they do, then they stop once they have you