Are women actually more mature than men? Or is it just an excuse to date older men?

In my mid-twenties, I finally have the pleasure of observing how I used to date, how I date now, and how I may date in the future. Many of the women with whom I used to associate claimed that they were more mature than guys at their age. So, they would either be really disappointed in the guys their age that they were dating or used that reason as an excuse to date older guys. In hindsight, however, I'm realizing that those young girls were just as mature as the guys surrounding them. Additionally, dating some of those younger women while in my mid-twenties reveals the same conclusion. Am I trippin'? Or is the claim that women are more mature than men played out?

• Guys and Girls are Equally Mature, more or less
  • Girls are More Mature
  • Girls Mature Faster, but Guys Catch up Eventually
  • Guys are More Mature

Most Helpful Girl

• I believe this is largely a myth, as the gap is shown statistically to narrow around the early/mid 20's. Older guys often use this line, but I've found that a lot of them are full of crap. A 44 year old guy in an Abercrombie shirt doing vegasbombs with 21 year old girls on Thursday nights is often not personally mature. A guy like Jordan Belfort (Wolf of Wall Street), despite having external signs of success, is not mature. These are the two types I see telling younger females that men are automatically less mature. Likewise, the girls who repeat this phrase are often using it to cover their own selfish interests, such as financial gain.

Maturity is a largely individual trait based on personality, character and past experiences.

Most Helpful Guy

• Option C. While it is true women as a group go through the changes in puberty earlier, and they do mature at a younger age than men, they are more mature than boys of the same age typically. However, by the late teens and early 20s both finish maturing. That doesn't mean that once you finish maturing you will automatically ACT mature though. I've seen guys and dated women as old as 30 that still acted as if they were in High School!

I think what the women are saying is that they want a relationship, and a lot of younger guys that they are trying to get it from just want to hookup. So they date older guys who are more likely to be open to what they want.

If that is the case, then it is not a biological thing, as much as those guys their age just don't want a relationship, and they do.

What Girls Said 5

• Lol I was torn between B and C... and then I remembered my 58 year old father has farting competitions with my brothers in which they both see who can fart the loudest and fart on one another.

As my mom says, "Boys get older but don't grow up.

• Girls are more mature, but of course guys catch up - not all mind you, but then again not all girls mature either...

• When do guys start catching up?

• Depends on the guy. I know a guy who is 23 and he's more mature than some girls my own age, while I know a lot more guys my age and older who can't even hear a fart without laughing or don't think they need a job yet. O. o
      Really depends.

• They seem more dreamy about getting married and having babies when in love.

• I'd say girls mature faster but boys eventually catch up.

• mic. com/articles/111226/science-explains-why-women-are-faster-to-mature-than-men

What Guys Said 11

• The answer depends on how you define and then measure maturity.

• Girls mature faster in youth/teen and young adult ages.

But around 24ish, the maturity levels amongst the genders is equal.

• I've been the same age as a girl I was dating. I hates having "arguments". Her defense mechanism was to cry everytime because she was immature. Although I think in general woman are more mature. But I won't lie I enjoy in my mid to early 20s dating 19-22 year olds. Age vs expectations is great. Younger woman have less expectation of you

• Girls brains develop faster then mens so yeah :)

• Women in real life are far more mature than men, in my experience. They develop a lot faster and seem to have a greater sense of what is 'right' and 'wrong'. As for women on the Internet, well, that's a different story.

• Both have equal capacity at maturity, but immaturity is more socially acceptable on boys.

• no, you're correct.

• Sometimes it is not wise to consolidate maturity with wisdom.

• Guys mature late. Very few of them are delusional about their maturity.
    Girls mature fast. Some of them are really mature. Some of them are extremely delusional that they're mature.
    In terms of maturity, guys are more genuine about their maturity.

• They're just attracted to the wealth and status of an older guy but like to pretend they're not shallow, which is where the whole 'mature' thing comes in. It's not the mature young guys getting all the girls after all...

• People misconstrued the fact that women start puberty on average 2 years earlier than men and now think it means that they are constantly throughout life always 2 years more mature. No after puberty it's even ground and comes down to the individual.