Would you ever date a woman/man with Mild/High Functioning Autism?

Pretty much all in the question. Would you ever date somebody with mild/high functioning autism? He/she can still have sexual intercourse, communicate with you, etc but may lack empathy, have mood swings, or have trouble in other social situations. This doesn't apply to all but applies to some and I just want people to be honest

Most Helpful Guy

• This would definetly not be a disqualifier. Obviously it would depend on the individual, but there are certainly pluses. An autistic girl is more likely to be genuine, and I can't stand fake. Plus, some of them are very attractive. Bottom line, yes!

Most Helpful Girl

• No.
    I would never date a man I could not marry.
    No matter how much I wanted to, it's a no.

And I could never marry a man who was even semi-autistic because first, he'd have a good chance of passing that onto my kids and I don't want them a hard life and second, if our children were normal, it would fuck them up emotionally to have a father who can't be close to them and give them a connection a father should provide.

I use to have a crush on an Aspie. He pursued me, made me like him, in the process I learned all you can know about Aspergers and when it came down to it, I knew I had to walk away.

What Guys Said 27

• I think it would be essential for a guy to have a lot of patience and understanding. It's very difficult to give an honest answer. I think it is something that would take some time to understand, and some time to learn to deal with different situations.

On the face of it, I would be prepared to try. I would never exclude anyone without knowing a lot more.

• High intelligence and being a bit introverted will prevent a person from being moody. Introverts don't get influenced easily and high IQ makes a person think carefully before acting.

I am alright with dating but marriage will be problematic. Being high IQ and lack of empathy means a person would be utterly logical. Trust is very fundamental to a relationship. Being too logical will destroy trust easily if a person is not careful.

• Maybe, seeing as how I was diagnosed with autism when I was very young, though I question that diagnosis, but I did have some serious issues that caused that diagnosis.

• Depends on the personality. The HFA/Mild Autism thing isn't a problem, I have Aspergers. A lot of HFA girls are Feminists. Not that I have an issue with Feminism, in fact, I'm beginning to accept it.😊 I just wouldn't enjoy walking on egg shells all the time, just to make her happy.

• If it's real autism and not just overdiagnostic autism then no way in hell. If it's someone that's clearly just an interesting person that their parents couldn't understand so they took them to a shrink who gave them a copout, yeah probably as long as they aren't way over the line and I have interest in them. But real autism, fuck no.

• If I felt something for her? Well I guess. I would give it a try. If it's clearly not working, then I would go. I don't know if I don't like something until I've tried it.

• No, I wouldn't have the tolerance to deal with it. I know I will be receiving a lot of hate for this but it's better for me to not date her at all than me dating her and leaving her because I got to angry.

• I think a person with Autism can be dating material , i have some mentally challenges myself but i still know how to love, i know all about sex stuff may not be right on all things.

• No. My ex girlfriend had HORRIBLE mood swings, among MANY other things, and that relationship was hell for me. And lacking empathy is bordering on sociopathy, and I detest sociopaths as well as psychopaths.

So, no.

• If she had Antisocial Personality Disorder, you'd be dead or homeless. HFAs don't lack empathy as much as they're often overstimulated. To put it in perspective, you have a noisy neighbor, and he won't turn his music down. You've tried to deal with him many times through diplomacy, but it seems he disrespects your kind gesture. What do you do? Move to another neighborhood, call the police, or destroy that fucker's stereo?

• @SIGguy you just hit the nail right on the head

• Sounds stressful

• yes because there is a strong possibility that i have it too

• It wouldn't be ideal, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

• Maybe, I would.

• "may lack empathy, have mood swings"

pretty much all women then? :D

Its a joke girls, go easy on me lol.

• I am srry but I can't

• No I'd avoid it

• Yeah, but only if she promises to try to work on her communication skills.

• As long as she is an excellent driver.

• I would provided she only showed empathy; mood swings are not something I handle.

• Good question, I don't know

• I'd try :)

• FUCK NO

filler

• I could if I didn't feel anything for her

• No, frankly. Damaged is damaged.

• Yes. I did a lot of volunteering to prepare myself for Med school so I got really accustomed to a lot of the different flavor of life we have. I once had a lab partner who I thought was really awesome but a little quirky. I found out from her mom soon after she dropped out of the lab that she had just recovered from a pretty tragic brain injury. One of the patients where I interned had a tumor removed from her brain and although she was noticeably affected she ended being one of my favorite people in the world. My ex was bipolar but got disgnosed years after we stopped dating. The girl I would've dated after that (I ended up moving) I truly believe has had some type of brain injury that's stunted her ability to feel much of anything emotionally beyond joy. It's really odd and beautiful at the same time. My coworker that I almost dated had pretty strong OCD and anxiety. And oddly I've met a lot of girls with tics that I actually find attractive. Like I find them attractive but their tic itself is also attractive. It's odd, I know. I've only known a few autistic people and haven't really got to know any too well but looking at my past I don't think it's impossible for me to be attracted to someone with autism.

• I have it myself, I just hope a girl like you would date a guy like me

• The diagnosis in itself wouldn't prevent me from dating her but I imagine that I would be less likely to date someone with that, especially with the lack empathy and emotional understanding, I'm not sure if I would feel like I actually 'knew' her properly on a deeper level.

• Autistic folks don't have a lack of empathy. You're thinking of Antisocial Personality Disorder.

• @SIGguy I got that from the description in this question.

• No sorry I have experienced it with a kind of friend and he is a pain in the ass so couldn't do daily

What Girls Said 16

• I've been through this before and it really is very difficult. In the beginning is easy to look past things because you're so in love with the other person. As time goes by and the problems you have become more complicated it gets harder to work through things.
    He struggled to recognise when I was upset and didn't know how to help me. The last straw came when someone very close to me passed away. I needed support and he wasn't there for me.
    When I told him about it he was sorry and I know that he wanted to take care of me but just didn't know how to.
    We're still good friends but I don't know that I would ever get back together with him, or date someone with HFA again.
    This is purely a personal thing, I struggle with depression and I need someone who can show some empathy and help me through.
    There's nothing against dating a person with mild autism but it does require a very patient person and a lot of love between them.

• No. I don't believe in 'high functioning autism' or 'aspergers' for that matter. Two very made up conditions for parents looking for answers as to why their child is 'different' or as to why their kid acts like a selfish brat.

BUT...

There are kids who genuinely are properly autistic, with extreme fixations, inability to speak, make eye contact, severe learning difficulties, complete lack of empathy. And no, I don't think I could date a person with real autism.

• mental health doesn't define a person, so it would not be a deal breaker for me. and dude, mood swings are like bread and butter.

• i had a thing with an autistic guy.. not quite dating but basically that.. its no different than being with someone without autism.. only thing was that he would sometimes say things a bit out of the blue that you would usually keep to yourself.

• I can't deal with mood swings. It hurts my feelings and I am afraid of resentments.

Other than that, yeah I would.

• What's the point if they just know sex but relating to others is a major drama..

• Yes.

I'm mildly autistic myself, and my boyfriend has Aspergers. It actually made dating a whole lot easier, because we both hate the mind games and we just get straight to the point.

• Yes, I would. Without a doubt!

• my friend has aspergers so i have exposure (?)/ encountered/ become used to certain behaviours so know how to deal with the lack of empathy, less communication etc.
    ill have to research a hell lot about the autism first though
    and more importantly i have patience and am caring?

• I have a high respect for with autism/Aspergers. They are so intelligent.. I'm not sure about dating.. but I would love to have a friendship or something..

• To be honest not really. I just couldn't handle something like that.

• no I wouldn't be able to date guy that was autistic or who's specilneeds like me because it would be hard understand what the guys trying to say because he might not speak as clearly or he ether can't talk

• Probably not 😝

• Why not? You probably had a crush on someone with it and didn't know... Some are just like you and me but are just slightly socially inept...

• I don't think I would be able to deal with it.

• i totally would.