Would you date someone who smokes?

I'm talking about cigarettes.

I would not, because as an ex-smoker it would be too hard for me to be around it and not start again.

• No, I wouldn't. Smoking is gross.
  • Yes, I would but I'd want them to stop.
  • Yes, I would and it wouldn't bother me.
  • I am an ex-smoker and I would not date a smoker.
  • I am an ex-smoker and I would date a smoker.
  • I smoke and I would date a fellow smoker.
  • I smoke and I would not date a fellow smoker.

Most Helpful Guy

• If she does it occasionally and not during days when we're going to get intimate, I'm OK with it.

What I find kind of odd is how (somehow) smoking has become a moral character issue. I'm fine with it being a health issue, but to think that someone is of low moral fiber simply for smoking is just bullshit to me. Hitler didn't smoke. He actively discouraged it among his officers. Richard Ramirez didn't smoke. Churchill smoked like a chimney, as did FDR. Lincoln smoked on occasion. Einstein (quite the pacifist) smoked.

If someone eats a candy bar a day (which will probably kill you sooner than smoking a cigarette a day), his/her moral fiber isn't in question (though perhaps his/her judgment about health is). Smoke a cigarette a day and somehow you're worse than Idi Amin (another non smoker, btw).

For the record, I do smoke, but not cigarettes. I smoke a pipe or a cigar about once a month. My wife liked the aroma of my pipe (and it was just tobacco, not pot) but wouldn't kiss me for at least a day afterward, and I was OK with that. She hated my cigars and generally vacated the house when I smoked them, or she asked I smoke them outside.. We agreed that I could do it once a month (sometimes more if there was a holiday... I liked smoking my pipe at Christmas and cigars on Independence Day).

• Yeah, it is stupid. As an Ex-smoker, it really pisses me off when people act like they are somehow morally superior because they don't smoke. Like, fuck you, I mad a stupid decision when I was a teenager and ended up with a terrible addiction that I had to try over and over again to kick. You wanna talk about moral high ground? How about acknowledging how hard people struggle to quit. How much physical and emotional torture they have to go through to give up the habit. And the fact that most smokers have tried. Over and over again.

I find that "health" does seem to be becoming a "moral" issue for more people, beyond just smoking though. People obsess over what they eat and how much they exercise and then look down on anyone who doesn't work as hard at their "health" as they do. "Oh, you don't go to the gym at all? Have fun dying early you lazy slob!" Never mind that I play team sports once or twice a week, walk back and forth to work, eat decently healthy and snowboard in the winter.

• Honestly? I wasn't enjoyir it anymore. I hated feeling like I was a slave to something I couldn't control.

I'd tried to quit for all the right reasons a hundred times: health, money, other people... it always failed.

But when I just plain was sick of it, even though it was (and still is) hard I was able to do it. When I have a bad craving I think about how gross it is to have to clear my throat all the time and how much it aufks to be addicted to something that makes you go outside when it's negative thirty lol

• Glad you quit.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would never date someone who's currently a smoker. I'm not a smoker, nor have I ever been.

If they dabbled in smoking in the past, it's usually okay so long as they've dropped that habit. My current boyfriend used to smoke (not much, maybe once cigarette/week) and dropped it after a few months. I'm cool with that. He still craves it when someone who's smoking is nearby but I assure him he's much better off not smoking a cancer stick.

What Guys Said 27

• My previous girlfriend was a smoker and quit before she met me. About 4 months in she was in a new group and they were all heavy smokers and it went form bumming a smoke here and there when on nights out, to keeping her vaporizer on her at all times, taking breaks at work etc. Well when she just up and started smoking in front of me, I was pretty shocked and upset as I really don't like smoking. Basically, I told her not to do it around me, when she is over at mine or before she is coming over to see me. She was pretty upset with me at the time, and felt I was being controlling, but it was more the shocking nature of not knowing this was a thing for a months, and she was hiding it from me. Plus, I felt deceived as she was a nonsmoker when we met, and I would never have dated here form the start if she were a smoker.

In the end, she stopped outright because she realized just how bad she had regressed and the effect it had on me when she smoked around me.

• I quit five years ago and didn't have a single puff for about a year and a half, but then I thought I was past it and could enjoy the odd smoke here and there when drinking.. which I did manage to keep under control for about a year... but then a friend moved in with me who smoked and at the time I had the rule that I only smoked when I'd been drinking, but I started going out with her when she smoked and then a couple times I was like "I'd really like a smoke", so I'd pour a glass of wine so as to not break my own rule and I'd have one with her... then it turned into two sometimes.. then it turned into I was having a drink every night so I could be "allowed" to smoke, then I realised I was drinking too much so I chucked the rule, but still thought I had it under control because it was only one or two smokes in the evening and I didn't crave cigarettes during the day at all... but then I lost my job and was unemployed for four months. I started smoking during the day again out of

• boredom and, frankly, lethargy. And then during that four months I went on a month long trip to Europe and I smoked like a chimney while we were there. Tried to quit when I got back but only quit for a few months before I started smoking when drinking again and it didn't take long before it was every evening again... and then one at lunch too... and then voila, smoking full time again.

I quit again in January after returning from a two-week vacation. I'd cut way back before leaving but then smoked heavily on vacation. I ended up meeting my now boyfriend about two weeks after I quit and I haven't had a single puff.

What I realised after the past four years of trying to smoke once in a while is that I just can't do that. I have to either never smoke again, or accept I'm a smoker... I've chosen to never smoke again. Being with my boyfriend, who hates smoking, has helped A LOT because I'm not tempted to just had one puff or one smoke when I've been drinking.

• What you described is my ex perfectly. She realized after I brought it up that it was all or nothing with stopping, which is much tougher in Europe as waaaay more people smoke.

• No I would not date a smoker. Smokers just piss me off. So many of them are so selfish.

• How are they selfish? Unless they smoke inside the house or car it's only themselves they're hurting. Some can be inconsiderate but most aren't.

• You can't deny cigarette butts are littered way more than normal rubbish is. I know in ins and outs of just how bad cigarette butts are when littered and lets just say they are not biodegradable like most smokers claim they are. About 95% of smokers litter their butts. No where near 95% of people litter other types of rubbish. So smokers are way worse.

• Cigarette butts litter the place way more than other rubbish does.

• Vote 'F' (for now, trying to quit)

The girl I love (not with me anymore) used to smoke and on her I could love anything - smell or taste of smoke is nothing on her :D <3

• Smoking is such a big turn off for me that they'd have to be practically perfect in every other way. Not a deal breaker, but seeing how that isn't very likely, I voted A. Smoking is a bad and expensive addiction to get into.

• Only if they were willing to quit or were in the process of quitting.

Besides the health implications, I hate the smell and don't want to taste an ashtray when I'm kissing them.

• Who wants to kiss an ashtray?

• NOPE. no smoking.

• I seriously doubt it. Date maybe, but marry and have kids? No.

• I don't smoke, so i would not, as I'm gonna be breathing in all the harmful smoke that's in their mouth and lungs.

• Huh i really don't like the idea of cigarette smoking cause
    second hand smoke is just as bad as the smoker but i
    would date someone who social smokes but chain smoking
    is serious idea i really am in doubts of dating a smoker ,

• i like girls who smoke
    i quit last December, but will have the occasional cigarette

i wouldn't mind dating a girl who did, and have before

• No i didn't smoking is gross

• It would be tuff, I would want them to stop but that might not happen or right away so I would be torn between choosing if I could deal with it knowing how much it bothers me

• I prefer not to, but anything is plausible

• I rather not.

• Smoking is just disgusting, bad for your health. It also shows that you do things which are bad for you to "better" fit in a social circle. I prefer people who think on their own, know whats good for them and whats not

• In fairness, most people started smoking young and by the time they're in their twenties are addicted. It's incredibly hard to quit. Hardest thing I have ever done and it took many, many tries...

• I may sound selfish, arrogant or whatever... But I will never date with a person who smokes :) I can't endure that really... It seems very bad on men, and I don't want to say how i see it on women...

• No! I can't stand smokers! The smell spreads everywhere and then you get stuck with it. Not to mention that it ages you like a thousand times the normal speed!

• I grew up with smokers so it wouldn't bother me any

• Yeah just don't smoke around me.

• Dated a smoker before, never again.

• I would date a girl who smokes, but I wouldn't marry her unless she stopped doing it.

• I'm an ex-smoker so I don't have any qualms about dating a smoker

• How long ago did you quit? Do you think it would make it hard for you to be around it?

• it's been almost 6 months and yes it is hard for me to be around it sometimes especially when I'm drinking, I think I've cheated one or two times by taking some drags

• Cigarettes No
    Meth No
    Crack No
    Weed Yeas :)

• I would, I would have a problem of kissing her after she smoked cause it sucks

• Hell naw. Reef is fine, but not tobacco.

• Smoking is soooo hot, no wonder it burns your lungs and oesophagus

What Girls Said 25

• My last ex smoked and it didn't stop me from falling for him. However I will always have a preference for a non smoker over a smoker. I don't smoke myself but it's not a dealbreaker.

• If I fell for them before I knew they smoked then it's a toss up. If I knew they smoked from the beginning, then no. I don't want to die earlier than I should. Second hand smoke kills.

• I technically am. We have an agreement that he can have one smoking night a month. It's not attractive to me though and I'm concerned for his health.

• What's the point of smoking one night a month? That's just self torture! As long as he smokes once jn a ehile he's not going to shake thr addiction and he will have to deal with cravings all the time. So he should either quit completely or keep smoking all the time.

• He hasn't got an addiction, he just likes the taste of it :P But I don't want him to smoke more than that in case he does get addicted.

• Smoking is one of the biggest turn offs there could ever be.

• I don't know, I just went out with someone who smokes and it didn't really bother me because he wasn't smoking while we were together. I guess as long as he doesn't smoke around me and he doesn't leave my company to smoke and then come back smelling like smoke. Also he should respect the fact that I don't smoke and I wouldn't want to try it.

• No, no, and some more no forever. I choose option A.

• Cigarettes, no way in hell. Marijuana, still probably unlikely but if it were only occasional and it didn't run their life, then I'd be okay with it.

• I don't know. I'm glad my boyfriend quit smoking a long time before he met me.
    I find it an unhealthy habit

• No thanks. Get out of my life, smokers.

• Sorry but no. It might trigger my asthma.

• I dated a guy who is a social smoker. I'm a social smoker too so that wouldn't bother me. But if they smoke all the time then no I wouldn't date them.

• I wouldn't.
    Smoking, gambling, and drinking are my absolute deal breakers.

• I understand as well. I would haveto tell him not to smoke around me and wear some cologne because its really not a nice smell.

• nah i wouldn't, dont wanna be a victim of second hand smoking, you can get lung cancer like that, and i dunno about other people but i like being healthy

• Nope. I don't think I have too many deal breakers, but that would be one of them.

Both of my parents have smoked and I can't stand it.

• I Primary Ciliary Dyskinesia

itll be suicidal to do so.

• Yeah, sure. It's their choice.

• nooooope. My dad smoked and I've seen the kind of impact it's had on his life.

• Probably not. I used to smoke too by the way.

• Sure. I smoke quite often so it would t bother me.

• Most guys in mo country do! so I say yes

• Vote C = yes, I have and do = "social smoker" right here

• no I don't smoke and I would never date a guy that smokes because smoking is bad for u

• A is the answer but if I really love the guy I would give him a shot.

• I would not. I am an ex smoker myself, and I can't be around someone who smokes because it triggers me and I don't want to go back to that.