Why do you guys think girls are into these tall skinny dudes these days?

I was talking to a friend who has studied psychology and was told that throughout history, women have been interested in manly masculine muscular men. It wasn't until the 20th century that things started to change. Women these days are into tall skinny dudes instead of the masculine and macho dude. Why do you think that is? And please don't say that because these guys are douchebag and women learned to like something else because not every masculine dude is like that. And also please don't say women realized that muscles don't pay bills because there are plenty of healthy masculine dudes that are doctors or in other successful professions.

Most Helpful Girl

• ima a girl and i DONT GET IT !!

i go stupid for those rugged cave men (refined cave men obviously lol)
    men are getting more and more feminine by the second it's mind blowing!

but im pretty sure it has a lot to do with how masculine some women are getting..

i feel that maybe in a few decades the roles would be reversed completely :(

• Yaarrrrhhhhhh these oaks need to get in the gym and start getting shredded mayyytt!!!

Men are losing their fire 😂😂😂

P. S. Leg day ravaged the quads 😭

• Bro you're already turning her on lol

• shut up xD

Most Helpful Guy

• I think traditional gender roles are changing, you notice that women are becoming more masculine, men are becoming feminine. Things are morphing together, and becoming interesting, and at times awkward... It seems like the roles have reversed somewhat. It would seem to me, that women are becoming so, in order to succeed in business roles and their career. Whereas men are being encouraged to express their emotions more, and to 'play' with more feminine characteristics, simply because being unemotional doesn't cut it any longer. It's not reflective of individual character, we are complex, multi faceted beings. This aspect of our being may have been suppressed in previous times when life was a lot harder and jobs were utterly exhausting.

Anyway, the real reason I wanted to reply was because I distrust your psychologist friend's analysis. Freakishly large muscles, in my view, is a relatively modern thing, where people have sufficient leisure time and wealth to over-eat and 'sculpt' in the gym. Manual workers of old, if you see pictures of them, were strong as fuck, but not as huge as gym goers are now. They had way more functional and well rounded strength.

What Girls Said 4

• I'm not always so keen on the tall, but I like the slim thing. My boyfriend's 6'0 and quite skinny but he is recovering from an eating disorder so his weight isn't exactly what either of us prefer right now. I'm not sure why I like them, I just do. Maybe it's because I'm young and they look younger than big, hulking guys. I also just really don't like the way muscles look.

• I actually prefer someone short and closer to my height. Also, I dont want a skinny guy because I'll always be self-conscious as to whether I'd break him by sitting in his lap and all that lol. I like guys who have more of an average body size (not fat or skinny) and are a bit toned (but not skinny or super muscular)

• So you prefer the more masculine muscular men?

• Huh? That's interesting. I mean I don't mean you have to be like Michael Jordan or yao ming. But I've never had a girl say she doesn't want a guy who's taller than her.

• Oh no he still has to be taller than me. Just not that tall. As long as we're the same height or he's an inch taller, thats fine. I just dont want him to have to bend over to kiss me and I dont want to have to stand on my toes or stretch my neck like a giraffe to kiss him

• Tall and slim guys are exactly my type :) I like the 'student look' (but only if they have the brains to go with it). They look intelligent, elegant and sophisticated. And they don't spend their free time at the gym (I hate sports). Muscular guys are more vain. I do like broad shoulders though.

• Yeah but that's false dichotomy and that's what I mentioned in the post. People are muscular are not always unintelligent. For instance I'm sure there are gyms at ivy leagues like Harvard and MIT and I'm sure there are students that are muscular and fit but you can't tell me that these people who go there aren't intelligent.

• I'm sorry I came across like that, that isn't what I meant at all. I was saying I like tall and slim guys if they indeed are intelligent but of course I know muscular guys can be intelligent too. The thing is, I guess you could say they are more vain because they spend a lot of time on how they look. I am not saying this is a bad thing but I just don't like sports at all. A lot of girls love muscular guys but they just aren't really my type.

• some of them are.

What Guys Said 5

• Muscular men were probably chosen over lanky men back then because a muscular build is lot more intimidating then a tall lanky figure, so muscular men gave off the appearance of being better protectors for women and the family.

Also the 20th century was the beginning of the Industrial Revolution where people started to rely more on machines to do all the work, but prior to that, majority of work was done by hard physical labor. A muscular man gives off the appearance of being a man who can handle himself in the most physically demanding job as oppose to a tall skinny guy. This made the muscular man look more like a better provider.

However, the world changed during the 20th century to where a man doesn't need to be muscular in order to bring down another man nor to be a good provider. A man with a taser, pepper spray or a gun could easily bring down any man regardless of how much bigger that man is compared to him. And the arrival of low-physical demanding jobs such as in the technology and medical field has made it possible for men to be excellent providers without doing any heavy lifting whatsoever.

The media also helped usher in this "skinny dude" era, when they began to sexualize skinny men in the 1960s, which women ate up.

• no idea, all I notice is that anything that resembles a pretty boy in societies trend these days is whats in, and most of the pretty boys are tall and lanky as fuck but somewhat toned with a low body fat %.

• It's in your head. Guarantee you it is about 50/50 and has been since we had attraction and options to choose from. Show me a girl who likes the thin rock star look I'll show you one who likes the meathead.

• The answer is easy, society and mainstream media.

• Generally speaking women have gone for signs of power.

In era where poor people worked manual labour while rich people ate well, then sat around inside, you'd end up with standards of 'grace' and 'elegance' being tall (not malnourished), slim and pale.

That said, I think overall, women prefer a higher level of muscle than the average guy has, and women who prefer slim guys over 'athletic' are a (not tiny) minority.

If you're talking about guys who are massively jacked up, much like enormous breasts on women, it's beyond what most people see as normal.