How to get back into dating after 3-4 years?

I was in a relationship starting at age 16 and it ended when I went into college because he was abusive. Since then it's been hard to trust ANYONE including friends because of this one bad relationship that lasted 3 years. I want to meet someone I can connect with again... and fall in love maybe, but it's scary. It's not like I'm afraid of a future boyfriend being unfaithful or being abusive again, but I'm just afriad to give my heart to someone and not being sure if they'll fully respect and love me like I would them. How should I go about this? How should I meet someone new and let them in without completely freaking out and running away?

What Guys Said 1

• "Since then it's been hard to trust ANYONE including friends because of this one bad relationship that lasted 3 years. "

^but i'd suggest u should realise... not everyone's like dat guy u used to date u know... ;)

"I want to meet someone I can connect with again... and fall in love maybe, but it's scary. It's not like I'm afraid of a future boyfriend being unfaithful or being abusive again, but I'm just afriad to give my heart to someone and not being sure if they'll fully respect and love me like I would them."

^frist of all then u must get to know a guy really well then... to boost yer chances of being successful and not end up in a bad relationship again... is there any guy u r currently seein then? or do u have any guy friends at least? maybe u might end up being more than friends wid one of 'em...

" How should I go about this? How should I meet someone new and let them in without completely freaking out and running away?"

^this'll happen on its own... u cannot go out and chase guys all of a sudden u know... anyway is there any guy from work/school or wherever u go dat u might like somehow?

What Girls Said 1

• Before you get back out into the dating scene again you have to make sure you are ready and as fully healed as you can be of your break-up-scars. Only you will know when the hurt has subsided.

Dn not go out with the mindset of ''All men are jerks.'' or ''It's never going to work because that person will not understand me.'' because that is being unfair to both yourself and your date when you pre-judge a person before you get to know him.

If you have any luggage from your old relationship, make sure you throw it all away (image strapping a rocket to a large bag and shooting it far into space) because only then will you be ready to start dating again.

Good luck.